Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
17 Major Events In October With Free Tickets For Service Members, Veterans, And Families
As we roll into fall, Vet Tix has exciting and sometimes spooky events to offer to our VetTixers. From haunted attractions to NCAA and NFL football games and major symphonies, there is an event for you and your loved ones to attend. If you haven’t signed up to become a VetTixer yet, some of the events you missed out last month included free tickets to see some great concerts like U2, Eric Clapton, Jason Aldean and Young the Giant with Cold War Kids and Joywave as well as exciting NFL and NCAA football and MLB games.
You can sign up for free to become a Vet Tix member and see the full list of events in your area.
Since 2008, Vet Tix has provided veterans, service members, caregivers and family members of those killed in the line of duty with more than three million free tickets to major sports games, concerts and a diverse mix of other ticketed events.
Check out just 17 major events below out of the hundreds of events available at VetTix.org.
Arts & Entertainment
- October 1: Saint Louis, Missouri: Mozart 40 – Presented by the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra
- October 5: Pontiac, Michigan: Erebus: The World’s Largest Haunted House – Four Story Haunted Attraction
- October 7: Denver, Colorado: Rocky Mountain Audio Fest
- October 7: Houston, Texas: Houston Museum of Natural Science
- October 8: Peekskill, New York: Buddy Guy – Live in Concert
- October 13: San Diego, California: Top Gun Party and Movie Night
- October 14: Hagerstown, Maryland: Bach to Beethoven and Beyond! – Presented by the Maryland Symphony Orchestra
- October 22: Peekskill, New York: Steve Solomon’s My Mother’s Italian, My Father’s Jewish and I’m in Therapy
- October 1: Minneapolis, Minnesota: Minnesota Twins vs. Detroit Tigers MLB
- October 14: Fresno, California: Fresno State Bulldogs vs. New Mexico Lobos NCAA Football
- October 14: Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Hoosiers vs. University of Michigan Wolverines NCAA Football
- October 14: Durham, North Carolina: Duke University Blue Devils vs. Florida State Seminoles NCAA Football
- October 21: Manchester, Maryland: Autumn Armageddon 2017 – Live Professional Wrestling Presented by Maryland Championship Wrestling
- October 21: East Lansing, Michigan: Michigan State Spartans vs. Indiana Hoosiers
- October 27: Washington, DC: Washington International Horse Show 2017 – Military Night
- October 28: Richmond, Virginia: University of Richmond Spiders vs. Stony Brook Seawolves NCAA Football Homecoming
- October 28: Rosemont, Illinois: Chicago Wolves vs. Milwaukee Admirals AHL
To become a Vet Tixer and request tickets to these and hundreds of other events, which are free except for a very small delivery fee, visit VetTix.org to create a free account. Once you’ve created an account and verified your military service, you can review hundreds of upcoming events across the country.
Benjamin Franklin nailed it when he said, "Fatigue is the best pillow." True story, Benny. There's nothing like pushing your body so far past exhaustion that you'd willingly, even longingly, take a nap on a concrete slab.
And no one knows that better than military service members and we have the pictures to prove it.
This article originally appeared on Business Insider.
Former President George W. Bush is calling for an end to the partial government shutdown, which is about to hit the one-month mark and is currently the longest shutdown in US history.
In an appeal made on Instagram, the 43rd president called on "leaders on both sides to put politics aside, come together, and end this shutdown." The caption was posted with an image of him and former First Lady Laura Bush giving pizza to their Secret Service detail.
A special operations Marine is due in court on March 7 after being arrested last year for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend, Task & Purpose has learned.
Staff Sgt. Daniel Christopher Evans was arrested and charged with assault inflicting serious injury on July 29, 2018, according to Jennifer Dandron, a spokeswoman for police in Wilmington, North Carolina. Evans is currently assigned as a Critical Skills Operator with the 2nd Marine Raider Battalion at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, according to the Marine Corps Personnel Locator.
Following Trump's inauguration, some supporters of ground combat integration assumed he would quickly move to reinstate a ban on women in jobs like the infantry. When this did not happen, advocates breathed a collective sigh of relief, and hundreds of qualified women charted a course in history by entering the newly opened occupational fields.
So earlier this week when the Wall Street Journal published an editorial against women in ground combat by conservative political commentator Heather Mac Donald, the inclination of many ground combat integration supporters was to dismiss it outright. But given Trump's proclivity to make knee jerk policy decisions in response to falling approval ratings and the court's tradition of deference to the military when it comes to policies affecting good order and discipline, it would be unwise to assume the 2016 lifting of the ban on women in ground combat is a done deal.
R. Lee Ermey was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery on Friday.
Best known for his iconic role as the Marine Corps drill instructor Gunnery Sgt. Hartman in the war drama Full Metal Jacket, Ermey died April 15, 2018 at age 74 due to complications from pneumonia, Task & Purpose previously reported.