2 Soldiers Killed, 6 Injured In Fort Jackson Incident

news

Two soldiers died and six more were injured, two critically, in what’s being called an accident at Fort Jackson, the U.S. Army’s largest training installation.


The Friday afternoon incident involved a military vehicle and a troop formation, according to garrison public affairs officer Pat Jones, who said the injured soldiers were immediately evacuated to an off-post hospital.

The incident occurred in the training areas of Fort Jackson, rather than the public areas, according to public affairs officer Mike Pond.

A military vehicle struck the soldiers while they were in formation, according to The Associated Press. No details were given about the type of vehicle involved.

The cause of the accident is being investigated by Fort Jackson officials, said Jones, adding if there was criminal activity or intent to harm that will be determined by the investigation.

The former chief of staff at Fort Jackson said he has been told the incident was an accident.

“There’s no indication at this point that it’s anything other than an accident,” said Dan Beatty, now chairman for the Military Affairs Committee with the Columbia Chamber. “I’ve been working very closely with officials at Fort Jackson and they are taking the appropriate steps and doing outreach. Their priority is taking care of the injured soldiers and the fallen.

“They are reaching out to their families and have launched an investigation.”

The names of the soldiers who died won’t be released until their families are notified.

After 7 p.m. Fort Jackson’s Twitter page reported that the families had been notified.

“If you haven't heard anything you and your Family have not been affected.”

Kevin Shwedo, another former Chief of Staff at Fort Jackson, didn’t know about the incident before being contacted by The State newspaper, but offered his perspective.

“Usually the first reports you get from an incident are inaccurate, but the worst thing anybody could do would be to speculate,” said the retired colonel who now is the chief of the Department of Motor Vehicles, is the civilian aid to the Secretary of the Army in S.C. and led flood relief efforts in 2015.

Fort Jackson’s commander issued a statement about the incident.

“Our hearts and prayers go out to the families of the soldiers we lost today and to the families of the injured, they represent the best of our nation and we will endeavor to support all those affected through this difficult time” said U.S. Army Training Center and Fort Jackson Commander Maj. Gen. Pete Johnson.

Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin echoed those sentiments, saying “It’s tragic.”

“Our prayers go out to the families of these young, brave soldiers,” Benjamin said. “The citizens of Columbia and the Midlands have a close personal affection and deep respect for our Fort Jackson family. When they are in pain, we are in pain, too.”

S.C. Attorney General Alan Wilson responded to news of the incident.

“My prayers & condolences go to the soldiers killed or injured and their families at Fort Jackson today. The military community is with you,” Wilson wrote on Twitter.

Rep. Joe Wilson, Alan Wilson’s father, shared his condolences as well.

“We are forever grateful for their sacrifices – and those of their families. We ask that everyone keep the six service members who sustained injuries in their thoughts and prayers in the days ahead,” Joe Wilson tweeted.

Fort Jackson is the Army’s largest training installation, with more than 50,000 recruits assigned there each year.

This isn’t the first fatal incident reported at Fort Jackson.

An 18-year-old recruit died after a training march in August 2009. In July 2016, a sergeant first class died after collapsing at the end of a physical fitness test.

———

©2017 The State (Columbia, S.C.). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Casperassets.rbl.ms

Benjamin Franklin nailed it when he said, "Fatigue is the best pillow." True story, Benny. There's nothing like pushing your body so far past exhaustion that you'd willingly, even longingly, take a nap on a concrete slab.

Take $75 off a Casper Mattress and $150 off a Wave Mattress with code TASKANDPURPOSE

And no one knows that better than military service members and we have the pictures to prove it.

Read More Show Less

A low-flying C-17 gave Nashville residents a fright on Friday when the aircraft made several unannounced passes over the city's bustling downtown.

Read More Show Less
George W. Bush/Instagram

This article originally appeared on Business Insider.

Former President George W. Bush is calling for an end to the partial government shutdown, which is about to hit the one-month mark and is currently the longest shutdown in US history.

In an appeal made on Instagram, the 43rd president called on "leaders on both sides to put politics aside, come together, and end this shutdown." The caption was posted with an image of him and former First Lady Laura Bush giving pizza to their Secret Service detail.

Read More Show Less
Staff Sgt. Daniel Christopher Evans was arrested on Jan. 29, 2018. (Photo courtesy of Wilmington Police Department, North Carolina.)

A special operations Marine is due in court on March 7 after being arrested last year for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend, Task & Purpose has learned.

Staff Sgt. Daniel Christopher Evans was arrested and charged with assault inflicting serious injury on July 29, 2018, according to Jennifer Dandron, a spokeswoman for police in Wilmington, North Carolina. Evans is currently assigned as a Critical Skills Operator with the 2nd Marine Raider Battalion at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, according to the Marine Corps Personnel Locator.

Read More Show Less
U.S. Army 1st Lt. Elyse Ping Medvigy conducts a call-for-fire during an artillery shoot south of Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, Aug. 22, 2014. Medvigy, a fire support officer assigned to the 4th Infantry Division's Company D, 1st Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, is the first female company fire support officer to serve in an infantry brigade combat team supporting Operation Enduring Freedom. U.S. Army photo by Staff Sgt. Whitney Houston (Photo by U.S. Army photo by Staff Sgt. Whitney Houston)

Following Trump's inauguration, some supporters of ground combat integration assumed he would quickly move to reinstate a ban on women in jobs like the infantry. When this did not happen, advocates breathed a collective sigh of relief, and hundreds of qualified women charted a course in history by entering the newly opened occupational fields.

So earlier this week when the Wall Street Journal published an editorial against women in ground combat by conservative political commentator Heather Mac Donald, the inclination of many ground combat integration supporters was to dismiss it outright. But given Trump's proclivity to make knee jerk policy decisions in response to falling approval ratings and the court's tradition of deference to the military when it comes to policies affecting good order and discipline, it would be unwise to assume the 2016 lifting of the ban on women in ground combat is a done deal.

Read More Show Less