Three U.S. soldiers have been killed and one other wounded in an attack by an Afghan soldier in eastern Afghanistan, according to reports by multiple media outlets.
On Saturday morning, the Associated Press reported that Attahullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the governor in Nangarhar province, confirmed the deaths of two American soldiers. Additionally, two U.S. soldiers are also reported wounded. Later, U.S. officials confirmed that one of the wounded soldiers had died from his wounds.
Khogyani said the Afghan soldier responsible for the attack was killed following the attack, which took place in Achin district. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the green-on-blue incident, claiming the group had infiltrated the Afghan security forces “just to attack foreign forces.”
There have been approximately 95 insider attacks in Afghanistan since 2008, according to Long War Journal.
Three U.S. service members were wounded in March when an Afghan soldier opened fire on them at a base in Helmand province.
In April, two Army Rangers were killed in the same district during a three-hour firefight with ISIS in the eastern Nangarhar province of Afghanistan. The Rangers killed were identified as Sgt. Joshua P. Rodgers, 22, and Sgt. Cameron H. Thomas, 23. U.S. special operations forces have been fighting ISIS in the province alongside Afghan Special Security Forces.
UPDATE: The number of U.S. soldiers killed has been updated by officials from two to three (Updated 6/10/2017; 3:45 pm).
The Marine lieutenant colonel removed from command of the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion in May was ousted over alleged "misconduct" but has not been charged with a crime, Task & Purpose has learned.
Lt. Col. Francisco Zavala, 42, who was removed from his post by the commanding general of 1st Marine Division on May 7, has since been reassigned to the command element of 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, and a decision on whether he will be charged is "still pending," MEF spokeswoman 1st Lt. Virginia Burger told Task & Purpose last week.
"We are not aware of any ongoing or additional investigations of Lt. Col. Zavala at this time," MEF spokesman 2nd Lt. Brian Tuthill told Task & Purpose on Monday. "The command investigation was closed May 14 and the alleged misconduct concerns Articles 128 and 133 of the UCMJ," Tuthill added, mentioning offenses under military law that deal with assault and conduct unbecoming an officer and gentleman.
"There is a period of due process afforded the accused and he is presumed innocent until proven guilty," he said.
When asked for an explanation for the delay, MEF officials directed Task & Purpose to contact 1st Marine Division officials, who did not respond before deadline.
The investigation of Zavala, completed on May 3 and released to Task & Purpose in response to a Freedom of Information Act request, showed that he had allegedly acted inappropriately. The report also confirmed some details of his wife's account of alleged domestic violence that Task & Purpose first reported last month.
On Monday, Staff Sgt. Daniel Christopher Evans received a suspended sentence of 60 days in jail, said Samantha Dooies, an assistant to the New Hanover County District Attorney.
Evans must complete 18 months of unsupervised probation, pay $8,000 in restitution, complete a domestic violence offenders program, and he cannot have any contact with his former girlfriend, Dooies told Task & Purpose. The special operations Marine is also only allowed to have access to firearms though the military while on base or deployed.