Roughly 200 US troops are headed to Saudi Arabia to help protect against Iranian missiles and drones

news
Patriot Missile Intercept Over Saudi Arabia

What the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff described last week as a "moderate deployment" to Saudi Arabia has turned out to be modest indeed – at least, so far.

The Pentagon is sending a battery of Patriot missiles and four Sentinel radars – about 200 U.S. troops in total – to bolster Saudi Arabia's air and missile defense, Chief Pentagon Spokesman Jonathan Hoffman announced on Thursday.


Another two Patriot batteries along with a Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system could be sent to Saudi Arabia if needed, Hoffman said.

The Saudis requested U.S. military aid following a recent attack on that country's oil refineries, which the U.S. government blames on Iran.

"The attack on Sept. 14th against Saudi Arabian oil facilities represents a dramatic escalation of Iranian aggression," Defense Secretary Mark Esper said during a Sept. 20 Pentagon news conference. "It is clear, based on detailed exploitation conducted by Saudi, the United States and other international investigative teams, that the weapons used in the attack were Iranian produced and were not launched from Yemen, as was initially claimed. All indications are that Iran was responsible for the attack."

Editor's Note: This article by Matthew Cox originally appeared onMilitary.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

U.S. Army aviation officials have launched an effort to restore full air assault capability to the 101st Airborne Division — a capability the Screaming Eagles have been without since 2015.

Read More Show Less

The U.S. military's withdrawal from northeast Syria is looking more like Dunkirk every day.

On Wednesday, the U.S. military had to call in an airstrike on one of its own ammunition dumps in northern Syria because the cargo trucks required to safely remove the ammo are needed elsewhere to support the withdrawal, Task & Purpose has learned.

Read More Show Less

President Donald Trump belittled his former defense secretary, James Mattis, by characterizing him as the "world's most overrated general," according to a Washington Post report published Wednesday.

The account from numerous officials came during an afternoon closed door meeting with congressional leaders in the Cabinet Room of the White House on Wednesday. In the meeting, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer reportedly brought up dissenting views towards the president's decision to withdraw the vast majority of roughly 1,000 U.S. troops stationed in Syria.

Read More Show Less

Retired two-star Navy. Adm. Joe Sestak is the highest ranking — and perhaps, least known — veteran who is trying to clinch the Democratic nomination for president in 2020.

Sestak has decades of military experience, but he is not getting nearly as much media attention as fellow veterans Pete Buttigieg and Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii). Another veteran, Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.) has dropped out of the race.

Read More Show Less

After preliminary fitness test scores leaked in September, many have voiced concerns about how women would fare in the new Army Combat Fitness Test.

The scores — which accounted for 11 of the 63 battalions that the ACFT was tested on last year — showed an overall failure rate of 84% for women, and a 70% pass rate for men.

But Army leaders aren't concerned about this in the slightest.

Read More Show Less