3 Former Marines Sentenced To Prison In Beating Case

Screengrab from 23 ABC News YouTube video

He entered the house expecting a romantic evening with the woman he loved.

Instead, three men wearing hockey masks beat him, bound him with zip ties and threatened to kill him. They released him 30 minutes later after taking his cellphone and wallet, and warning him they knew where he lived.

The men who assaulted him weren’t gang members or criminals with lengthy rap sheets, but U.S. Marines who carried out the attack because they believed the victim was having an affair with one of their wives.

Sergio Medina, 22, Rodrigo Sanchez, 20, and Leonardo Ortiz, 20, were sentenced to prison Wednesday, with Medina receiving six years, and Sanchez and Ortiz getting three-year terms.

The men, who have since been discharged from the Marine Corps, pleaded no contest to a count of first-degree robbery in July. Other charges, including torture, were dismissed under the plea agreement. They faced a life term if convicted of the torture charge.

The victim, Norman Early III, told the court before sentencing that the men who attacked him never deserved the honor of being Marines. He said they were “animals” who should be removed from the streets before they hurt anyone else.

The defendants will never understand the suffering he’s gone through, both physically and psychologically, Early said.

“I knew what my fate was,” Early told the court of the beating. “I was going to be murdered.”

His kidneys failed at one point while he was recovering in the hospital and he was placed on dialysis. Doctors don’t believe he’ll need further dialysis treatments, according to statements made in court.

Early said for months after the assault he was afraid, wondering if he was about to be ambushed again.

Judge John S. Somers said the defendants were lucky they weren’t facing life terms given how badly Early was beaten.

Asked by Somers why the plea was offered, prosecutor Brad Taconi said he didn’t believe he could prove some of the charges beyond a reasonable doubt. He said the plea agreement provided “significant” punishment for the defendants, none of whom had prior criminal records.

After the hearing, Medina’s attorney, H.A. Sala, said the incident occurred as a result of Early pursuing a romantic relationship with Medina’s wife while Medina was deployed overseas. The wife, Diane Reyes, tried breaking it off, but Early persisted.

She eventually told Medina, who gathered Sanchez and Ortiz at the house before luring Early there. Sala contends Early became confrontational, then tried to strike or punch Medina after a heated verbal exchange.

That evidence would have been presented at trial, but Sala said he and the other defense attorneys couldn’t risk a jury finding the torture allegation true.

“This was such a favorable settlement for these guys given what they were facing,” Sala said.

Another reason Medina accepted the plea agreement was that a jury likely would have convicted him of the robbery with an enhancement for inflicting great bodily injury since the evidence indicated he took Early’s wallet, Sala said. Medina would have faced a total of six years for that conviction alone.

Kyle J. Humphrey, the lawyer representing Sanchez, said his client knew from the day of the incident that what he did was wrong. He said Sanchez was “raised by good people with good values” and made a horrible mistake, one that cost him a military career.

While the defendants’ actions were criminal, Humphrey took issue with Early portraying himself as someone who was blameless for what happened.

“You don’t want to be sniffing around another man’s wife,” Humphrey said.

Attorney Richard Middlebrook, representing Ortiz, said this was an unfortunate situation for all involved and the defendants’ lives are forever changed.

“Any time these situations happen, it’s awful for any family,” said Middlebrook, who also expressed sympathy for Early. “The only thing they wanted to do was be Marines.”

Middlebrook said there was never any intention on the part of the defendants to kill or permanently injure Early. He said their training kicked in and they acted as they would have overseas by binding and interrogating someone.

They couldn’t have foreseen the medical reaction Early would have from being bound and that his kidneys would fail as a result, Middlebrook said. The defendants’ actions, he said, also speak to a larger problem regarding soldiers returning home.

“They come back from seeing some pretty crappy things, and there’s no process to get them accustomed to what’s normal and what’s not any longer,” he said.

According to court documents, the defendants used Reyes’ phone to lure Early through a Snapchat conversation on Sept. 20 to a house in the 2800 block of Lee Drive, east of South H Street and north of White Lane. When he entered, the defendants beat him and forced him to the ground.

They tied his wrists with zip ties and wrapped a belt around his neck, nearly causing him to lose consciousness, the documents say. When asked what he was doing there, Early said he was supposed to meet Reyes.

The defendants held him captive for 30 minutes, releasing him only after threatening to kill him if he went to police, the documents say.

Early managed to drive away and parked at a 7-11 near Real Road where he punched his vehicle’s OnStar button for medical assistance. He was taken to a local hospital with an orbital fracture, bruising to his head and body, and swelling to his head and neck.

Soon afterward, police stopped Medina in a vehicle, and found Sanchez and Ortiz at a residence in the 5500 block of Monitor Street. Medina admitted to assaulting Early, and helped police locate some of the stolen items, the documents say.


© 2016 The Bakersfield Californian (Bakersfield, Calif.). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

An undated image of Hoda Muthana provided by her attorney, Hassan Shibly. (Associated Press)

Attorneys for the Constitutional Law Center for Muslims in America have filed a lawsuit against Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Attorney General William Barr and President Donald Trump asking the court to recognize the citizenship of an Alabama woman who left the U.S. to join ISIS and allow she and her young son to return to the United States.

Read More Show Less
U.S. soldiers surveil the area during a combined joint patrol in Manbij, Syria, November 1, 2018. Picture taken November 1, 2018. (U.S. Army/Zoe Garbarino/Handout via Reuters)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will leave "a small peacekeeping group" of 200 American troops in Syria for a period of time after a U.S. pullout, the White House said on Thursday, as President Donald Trump pulled back from a complete withdrawal.

Read More Show Less
Construction crews staged material needed for the Santa Teresa Border Wall Replacement project near the Santa Teresa Port of Entry. (U.S. Customs and Border Patrol/Mani Albrecht)

With a legal fight challenge mounting from state governments over the Trump administration's use of a national emergency to construct at the U.S.-Mexico border, the president has kicked his push for the barrier into high gear.

On Wednesday, President Trump tweeted a time-lapse video of wall construction in New Mexico; the next day, he proclaimed that "THE WALL IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION RIGHT NOW"

But there's a big problem: The footage, which was filmed more than five months ago on Sep. 18, 2018, isn't really new wall construction at all, and certainly not part of the ongoing construction of "the wall" that Trump has been haggling with Congress over.

Read More Show Less
(From left to right) Chris Osman, Chris McKinley, Kent Kroeker, and Talon Burton

A group comprised of former U.S. military veterans and security contractors who were detained in Haiti on weapons charges has been brought back to the United States and arrested upon landing, The Miami-Herald reported.

The men — five Americans, two Serbs, and one Haitian — were stopped at a Port-au-Prince police checkpoint on Sunday while riding in two vehicles without license plates, according to police. When questioned, the heavily-armed men allegedly told police they were on a "government mission" before being taken into custody.

Read More Show Less
Army Sgt. Jeremy Seals died on Oct. 31, 2018, following a protracted battle with stomach cancer. His widow, Cheryl Seals is mounting a lawsuit alleging that military care providers missed her husband's cancer. Task & Purpose photo illustration by Aaron Provost

The widow of a soldier whose stomach cancer was allegedly overlooked by Army doctors for four years is mounting a medical malpractice lawsuit against the military, but due to a decades-old legal rule known as the Feres Doctrine, her case will likely be dismissed before it ever goes to trial.

Read More Show Less