Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
3 Gyms Close At Fort Bragg Under Federal Hiring Freeze
Fort Bragg is temporarily closing three physical fitness centers due to staffing shortages caused by the ongoing federal hiring freeze imposed by President Trump.
The installation's Directorate of Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation announced the closings via its Facebook page Thursday.
Blackjack, Funk and Hosking physical fitness centers will be closed starting Saturday, officials said.
"We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause to our patrons of these three PFCs," the post said. "We will continue to operate the remaining 11 PFCs on normal business hours. We will update this page and our website when the facilities are scheduled to reopen."
The Blackjack Physical Fitness Center is on Goldberg Street on East Bragg.
Funk Physical Fitness Center is on Gruber Road near the intersection with Longstreet Road.
Hosking Physical Fitness Center is on Ardennes Road near the intersection of Normandy Drive.
According to Fort Bragg officials, staff assigned to those gyms will be temporarily reassigned to fill vacancies at other facilities across post.
"Three physical fitness facilities will close on Fort Bragg because the government hiring freeze and natural attrition of employees," Col. Brett Funck, Fort Bragg garrison commander, said in a statement. "The closures are temporary, but at this time we do not know when we will be able to reopen these facilities."
"We will keep stakeholders updated, your patience and understanding during this time is greatly appreciated," he added.
Trump's hiring freeze went into effect shortly after he took office in January.
While service members are exempt from the freeze, it does impact civilian positions on Fort Bragg.
Other military installations have previously reported reduced hours at child-care centers, but the closings of the physical fitness centers appear to be the first significant impact reported on Fort Bragg.
©2017 The Fayetteville Observer (Fayetteville, N.C.). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
STOCKTON — Diane Wright opened the door of an apartment at The Oaks at Inglewood, the assisted care facility in Stockton where she is the executive director. Inside, three people busily went through postal trays crammed with envelopes near a table heaped with handmade gifts, military memorabilia, blankets, quilts, candy and the like.
Operation Valentine has generated a remarkable outpouring of support from around the world for retired United States Marine, Maj. Bill White. Earlier this month, a resident at The Oaks, Tony Walker, posted a request on social media to send Valentine's Day cards to the 104-year-old World War II veteran and recipient of the Purple Heart.
Walker believed Maj. White would enjoy adding the cards to his collection of memorabilia. The response has been greater than anyone ever thought possible.
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Radio Free Europe/Radio Free Liberty.
A spokesman for the Taliban has told a Pakistani newspaper that the militant group is hoping to reach an Afghan peace deal with U.S negotiators by the end of January.
The comments by Suhail Shaheen on January 18 to the Dawn newspaper come after negotiators from the Taliban and the United States met for two days of talks in Qatar.
The three Americans killed in a C-130 air tanker crash while fighting Australian bushfires on Thursday were all identified as military veterans, according to a statement released by their employer, Coulson Aviation.
The oldest of the three fallen veterans was Ian H. McBeth, a 44-year-old pilot who served with the Wyoming Air National Guard and was an active member of the Montana Air National Guard. McBeth "spent his entire career flying C-130s and was a qualified Instructor and Evaluator pilot," said Coulson Aviation. He's survived by his wife Bowdie and three children Abigail, Calvin and Ella.
MIAMI/JERUSALEM (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday he will release details of his long-delayed peace plan for the Middle East before Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his election rival Benny Gantz visit the White House next week.
The political aspects of the peace initiative have been closely guarded. Only the economic proposals have been unveiled.
The Pentagon moved a total of $35 trillion among its various budget accounts in 2019, Tony Capaccio of Bloomberg first reported.
That does not mean that the Defense Department spent, lost, or could not account for $35 trillion, said Bryan Clark, a senior fellow with the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments think tank in Washington, D.C.
"It means money that DoD moved from one part of the budget to another," Clark explained to Task & Purpose. "So, like in your household budget: It would be like moving money from checking, to savings, to your 401K, to your credit card, and then back."