5 Navy sailors charged in Texas sexual assault

news
The Hays Country Sheriff's Department in Texas (YouTube screenshot)

Five U.S. Navy sailors have been charged with aggravated sexual assault in connection with a rape reported in Hays County, Texas last year.


Dominick Burns, 20, Mauricio Chaparro, 28, Anthony Cooney, 21, Kenneth Johnson, 20, and Kyle Tuschmann, 19, were indicted in late April on four counts of aggravated sexual assault, court records show.

The men were indicted after a woman reported the sexual assault on May 19, 2018. Additional details about the alleged assault were not immediately available.

A Navy spokesman confirmed that the men are sailors and that they were attending master at arms apprenticeship training at the Naval Technical Training Center at Lackland Air Force Base at the time of the alleged assault.

Bail for the men has been set at $125,000 per count, totaling $500,000 each, according to their indictments.

———

©2019 Austin American-Statesman, Texas. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

SEE ALSO: There's A 'Private' Air Force In Texas The US Military Desperately Needs

"Just walk it off," is typically the go-to solution for a scrape, a light sprain, or some other superficial injury.

Read More Show Less

Syrians threw potatoes and yelled at United States armored vehicles on Monday as U.S. troops drove through the northeast border town of Qamishli, after Trump vowed to pull U.S. troops from Syria.

Read More Show Less

(Reuters) - In the summer of 2004, U.S. soldier Greg Walker drove to a checkpoint just outside of Baghdad's Green Zone with his Kurdish bodyguard, Azaz. When he stepped out of his SUV, three Iraqi guards turned him around at gunpoint.

As he walked back to the vehicle, he heard an AK-47 being racked and a hail of cursing in Arabic and Kurdish. He turned to see Azaz facing off with the Iraqis.

"Let us through or I'll kill you all," Walker recalled his Kurdish bodyguard telling the Iraqi soldiers, who he described as "terrified."

He thought to himself: "This is the kind of ally and friend I want."

Read More Show Less

The winner of an Army competition searching for innovative technology for troops would let soldiers see their enemies through walls.

Read More Show Less

The U.S. military has pulled about 2,000 troops from Afghanistan over the past year, the top U.S. and coalition military commander said Monday.

"As we work in Afghanistan with our partners, we're always looking to optimize the force," Army Gen. Austin Miller said at a news conference in Kabul. "Unbeknownst to the public, as part of our optimization … we reduced our authorized strength by 2,000 here."

"I'm confident that we have the right capabilities to: 1. Reach our objectives as well as continue train, advise, and assist throughout the country," Miller continued.

The New York Times was first to report that the U.S. military had reduced its troop strength in Afghanistan even though peace talks with the Taliban are on hiatus. The number of troops in the country has gone from about 15,000 to 13,000, a U.S. official told Task & Purpose on condition of anonymity.

Separately, the U.S. military is considering drawing down further to 8,600 troops in Afghanistan as part of a broader political agreement, Defense Secretary Mark Esper told reporters on Oct. 19.

"We've always said, that it'll be conditions based, but we're confident that we can go down to 8,600 without affecting our [counterterrorism] operations, if you will," Esper said while enroute to Afghanistan.

So far, no order has been given to draw down to 8,600 U.S. troops in Afghanistan, the U.S. official said.

After President Donald Trump cancelled peace talks with the Taliban, which had been expected to take place at Camp David around the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, the U.S. military has increased both air and ground attacks.

In September, U.S. military aircraft dropped more ordnance in Afghanistan than they have since October 2010, according to Air Force statistics.

However, the president has also repeatedly vowed to bring U.S. troops home from the post 9/11 wars. Most recently, he approved withdrawing most U.S. troops from Syria.

On Monday, Esper said the situations in Syria and Afghanistan are very different, so the Afghans and other U.S. allies "should not misinterpret our actions in the recent week or so with regard to Syria."