Sig Sauer Will Put 5,000 Of The Army’s Slick New Handguns Up For Commercial Sale

Gear

Sig Sauer, the maker of the 9mm P320 semi-automatic pistol that the Army recently contracted as the brand-new M17 Modular Handgun System, is looking to spread some of that mil-spec love to civilians by making a handful of those new military-grade sidearms available for commercial purchase, according to Military.com.


While the P320 has been available on the civilian market since 2014, the company will offer up a cache of just 5,000 military-grade M17s that, so far, the soldiers who first fielded the sidearm on Nov. 28 claim they can’t get enough of.

"We are planning to do a limited release of about 5,000 of the Army variant of the M17 for the commercial market," Tom Taylor, the chief marketing officer and executive vice president for commercial sales at Sig Sauer, told Military.com. "The timing is not finalized yet, but it looks to be late spring."

The commercially-available version of the full-size M17 will be nearly identical to the Army-issued pistol, though the handguns won’t come with the “anti-tamper mechanism for the striker action” or  special coatings on the handguns innards to “maintain lubricity under harsh conditions,” Military.com reports. There are some customization options, though: the M17s will be available with or without the  thumb safety mounted on the frame that’s standard with the Army-issued variant, depending on the buyer’s preference.

Related: The Military Keeps Picking Sig Sauer When It Needs It Most »

But more importantly, each commercially available M17 will have its own serial number (for those who want to live out some kind of perverse gear accountability fantasy), a matching coin, and a letter of authenticity from Sig Sauer’s CEO, which will help you flaunt the fact that, yes, you shelled out your hard-earned cash for the real thing.

How much each handgun will cost, however, is still up in the air. "It's high in demand, but if we price it too high, they will say 'I really want it, but it is just too expensive," Taylor told Military.com

In January, it was announced that Sig Sauer M17 beat out versions of the 9mm Glock 19 and .40 caliber Glock 23 pistols in the Army’s Modular Handgun System Competition. In doing so, Sig Sauer won the Army's 10-year $580 million contract to provide as many as 238,000 M17s to replace the tried and battle-tested M9 Beretta 9mm handgun as the branch’s sidearm of choice.

Though the other services are keen to get their own modular handgun, it’s unclear if they’ll follow in the Army’s footsteps. The Air Force, for its part, is currently putting the handgun through ejection seat tests to see if the M17 would be a suitable replacement for the its current issue of Beretta M9s and Sig Sauer P226s as a sidearm for pilots.

“We just wanted to make it really special,” Taylor said of the special sale. ”And once they are out there, the owners will be privileged to own the actual gun."

WATCH NEXT:

U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Samantha Stoffregen

On Nov, 10, 2004, Army Staff Sgt. David Bellavia knew that he stood a good chance of dying as he tried to save his squad.

Bellavia survived the intense enemy fire and went on to single-handedly kill five insurgents as he cleared a three-story house in Fallujah during the iconic battle for the city. For his bravery that day, President Trump will present Bellavia with the Medal of Honor on Tuesday, making him the first living Iraq war veteran to receive the award.

In an interview with Task & Purpose, Bellavia recalled that the house where he fought insurgents was dark and filled with putrid water that flowed from broken pipes. The battle itself was an assault on his senses: The stench from the water, the darkness inside the home, and the sounds of footsteps that seemed to envelope him.

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Army/Pvt. Stephen Peters)

With the Imperial Japanese Army hot on his heels, Oscar Leonard says he barely slipped away from getting caught in the grueling Bataan Death March in 1942 by jumping into a choppy bay in the dark of the night, clinging to a log and paddling to the Allied-fortified island of Corregidor.

After many weeks of fighting there and at Mindanao, he was finally captured by the Japanese and spent the next several years languishing under brutal conditions in Filipino and Japanese World War II POW camps.

Now, having just turned 100 years old, the Antioch resident has been recognized for his 42-month ordeal as a prisoner of war, thanks to the efforts of his friends at the Brentwood VFW Post #10789 and Congressman Jerry McNerney.

McNerney, Brentwood VFW Commander Steve Todd and Junior Vice Commander John Bradley helped obtain a POW award after doing research and requesting records to surprise Leonard during a birthday party last month.

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Marine Corps/Staff Sgt. Andrew Ochoa)

Editor's Note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

Hundreds of Marines will join their British counterparts at a massive urban training center this summer that will test the leathernecks' ability to fight a tech-savvy enemy in a crowded city filled with innocent civilians.

The North Carolina-based Kilo Company, 3rd Battalion, 8th Marines, will test drones, robots and other high-tech equipment at Muscatatuck Urban Training Center near Butlerville, Indiana, in August.

They'll spend weeks weaving through underground tunnels and simulating fires in a mock packed downtown city center. They'll also face off against their peers, who will be equipped with off-the-shelf drones and other gadgets the enemy is now easily able to bring to the fight.

It's the start of a four-year effort, known as Project Metropolis, that leaders say will transform the way Marines train for urban battles. The effort is being led by the Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory, based in Quantico, Virginia. It comes after service leaders identified a troubling problem following nearly two decades of war in the Middle East: adversaries have been studying their tactics and weaknesses, and now they know how to exploit them.

Read More Show Less
(Reuters/Carlos Barria)

WASHINGTON/RIYADH (Reuters) - President Donald Trump imposed new U.S. sanctions onIran on Monday following Tehran's downing of an unmanned American drone and said the measures would target Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Trump told reporters he was signing an executive order for the sanctions amid tensions between the United States and Iran that have grown since May, when Washington ordered all countries to halt imports of Iranian oil.

Trump also said the sanctions would have been imposed regardless of the incident over the drone. He said the supreme leaders was ultimately responsible for what Trump called "the hostile conduct of the regime."

"Sanctions imposed through the executive order ... will deny the Supreme Leader and the Supreme Leader's office, and those closely affiliated with him and the office, access to key financial resources and support," Trump said.

Read More Show Less