- The Red Army lost 9,000 tanks in just two months, July and August 1943. Think about that.
- The minority white regime of Rhodesia conducted low-grade chemical and biological warfare against anti-government guerrillas. They poisoned water sources with rat poison and an insecticide. They also disseminated cholera pathogens but apparently with less effect.
- In February 1937, Italian soldiers and police killed about 19,000 Ethiopian civilians. They did so in retaliation for an assassination attempt on Viceroy General Rodolfo Graziani.
- On the first day of the Somme, a battalion from Newfoundland suffered 90% casualties.
- British troops in Boston in 1770 were allowed to moonlight when off duty. They often charged far less for casual labor than civilians did—which of course antagonized the local laborers.
- The new flagship of the Libyan military is a former Irish naval service boat that was sold at auction in 2017 for only 110,000 Euros.
Looking for a great career? Or know another veteran, service member, or military spouse who is? Get started at Hirepurpose.