7 MARSOC Raiders Among Troops Killed In KC-130 Crash

news
Marines with U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Special Operations Command jump from a C-130 during a parachute exercise aboard Camp Lejeune, N.C., Dec. 15, 2010.
U.S. Marine Corps photo

Editor’s Note: This article by Hope Hodge Seck originally appeared on Military.com, the premier source of information for the military and veteran community.


A tragic Marine KC-130 Hercules crash in Mississippi on Monday afternoon claimed the lives of seven elite troops from Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command, officials confirmed Tuesday.

The aircraft, a transport plane assigned to Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron (VMGR) 452, a New York-based Reserve unit, went down in LeFlore County, Miss., around 4 p.m. All 16 troops aboard, including 15 Marines and a Navy corpsman, were killed in the service's deadliest aviation accident in years.

Six of the Marines and the corpsman belonged to 2nd Marine Raider Battalion out of Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, MARSOC spokesman Maj. Nicholas Mannweiler told Military.com. The MARSOC troops had been en route to Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, Arizona, for a pre-deployment training exercise ahead of a future deployment to the Middle East, Mannweiler said.

The training exercise was to be conducted at the team level, which in MARSOC means small units of about 14 troops. Mannweiler said other members of this particular team, including the advance party, had already arrived in Yuma. The MARSOC Raiders aboard the KC-130 were bringing with them rifles and small-arms ammunition for the exercise.

While MARSOC regularly conducts a unit rehearsal exercise known as Raven in Mississippi, Mannweiler said this training exercise was unrelated. It's not immediately clear why the aircraft was passing over Mississippi en route to Arizona.

A small command with only a few thousand assigned troops, MARSOC does not have any native aircraft assigned to its units. Mannweiler said it's typical for the command to put troops aboard Reserve units' aircraft.

"We will partner with a variety of different partners," he said. "It's not out of the ordinary for us to partner with any members of [Marine Forces Reserve]."

In a statement, MARSOC's chief of staff, who was not identified, expressed condolences to the families of the fallen.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the entire MARSOC family at this time," the chief of staff said. "The incredible demands of this dangerous and demanding calling forge some of the tightest unit and family bonds found in the U.S. military. This loss impacts us all."

Mannweiler said MARSOC is still conducting next-of-kin notifications to the families of the fallen Raiders. Once those notifications are complete, the command will observe a 24-hour waiting period before publicly identifying the victims.

It's the second time in just two years that the MARSOC community has experienced a deadly aviation tragedy. In March 2015, a UH-60 Black Hawkcrashed during night training near Eglin Air Base, Florida, killing seven MARSOC raiders and four soldiers aboard. Within MARSOC, the fallen Marines became known with reverence as the Raider 7.

Marine Forces Reserve will publicly identify the other nine Marines who died in Monday's crash. They are believed to be air crew assigned to VMGR-452.

The article originally appeared on Military.com.

More from Military.com:

Thirteen Marines have been formally charged for their alleged roles in a human smuggling ring, according to a press release from 1st Marine Division released on Friday.

The Marines face military court proceedings on various charges, from "alleged transporting and/or conspiring to transport undocumented immigrants" to larceny, perjury, distribution of drugs, and failure to obey an order. "They remain innocent until proven guilty," said spokeswoman Maj. Kendra Motz.

Read More Show Less
Arizona Army National Guard soldiers with the 160th and 159th Financial Management Support Detachments qualify with the M249 squad automatic weapon at the Florence Military Reservation firing range on March 8, 2019. (U.S. Army/Spc. Laura Bauer)

The recruiting commercials for the Army Reserve proclaim "one weekend each month," but the real-life Army Reserve might as well say "hold my beer."

That's because the weekend "recruiting hook" — as it's called in a leaked document compiled by Army personnel for the new chief of staff — reveal that it's, well, kinda bullshit.

When they're not activated or deployed, most reservists and guardsmen spend one weekend a month on duty and two weeks a year training, according to the Army recruiting website. But that claim doesn't seem to square with reality.

"The Army Reserve is cashing in on uncompensated sacrifices of its Soldiers on a scale that must be in the tens of millions of dollars, and that is a violation of trust, stewardship, and the Army Values," one Army Reserve lieutenant colonel, who also complained that his battalion commander "demanded" that he be available at all times, told members of an Army Transition Team earlier this year.

Read More Show Less

According to an internal Army document, soldiers feel that the service's overwhelming focus on readiness is wearing down the force, and leading some unit leaders to fudge the truth on their unit's readiness.

"Soldiers in all three Army Components assess themselves and their unit as less ready to perform their wartime mission, despite an increased focus on readiness," reads the document, which was put together by the Army Transition Team for new Chief of Staff Gen. James McConville and obtained by Task & Purpose. "The drive to attain the highest levels of readiness has led some unit leaders to inaccurately report readiness."

Lt. Gen. Eric J. Wesley, who served as the director of the transition team, said in the document's opening that though the surveys conducted are not scientific, the feedback "is honest and emblematic of the force as a whole taken from seven installations and over 400 respondents."

Those surveyed were asked to weigh in on four questions — one of which being what the Army isn't doing right. One of the themes that emerged from the answers is that "[r]eadiness demands are breaking the force."

Read More Show Less

If you've paid even the slightest bit of attention in the last few years, you know that the Pentagon has been zeroing in on the threat that China and Russia pose, and the future battles it anticipates.

The Army has followed suit, pushing to modernize its force to be ready for whatever comes its way. As part of its modernization, the Army adopted the Multi-Domain Operations (MDO) concept, which serves as the Army's main war-fighting doctrine and lays the groundwork for how the force will fight near-peer threats like Russia and China across land, air, sea, cyber, and space.

But in an internal document obtained by Task & Purpose, the Army Transition Team for the new Chief of Staff, Gen. James McConville, argues that China poses a more immediate threat than Russia, so the Army needs make the Asia-Pacific region its priority while deploying "minimal current conventional forces" in Europe to deter Russia.

Read More Show Less

As the saying goes, you recruit the soldier, but you retain the family.

And according to internal documents obtained by Task & Purpose, the Army still has substantial work to do in addressing families' concerns.

Read More Show Less