Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
7 US Troops Wounded In Insider Attack In Afghanistan
Seven U.S. service members are reported wounded after an insider attack in northern Afghanistan occurred at 2 p.m. local time on Saturday, according to a statement released by NATO's Resolute Support mission on Twitter.
UPDATE: Seven U.S. service members wounded, evacuated for treatment. Insider attack Camp Shaheen, Mazar-e Sharif under investigation https://t.co/WXujMMXA3U
— Resolute Support (@ResoluteSupport) June 17, 2017
Those injured service members have been evacuated from Camp Shaheen, a base located in Mazar-i-Sharif, in the northern province of Balkh.
Camp Shaheen is home to Afghan National Security Defense Forces’ Women’s Participation Program.
There were no U.S. or NATO fatalities; however, one Afghan soldier was killed and another wounded, according to the statement.
The attack comes exactly one week after three U.S. soldiers were killed and a fourth wounded in Peka Valley, Nangarhar province, in eastern Afghanistan in an insider attack. Sgt. Eric M. Houck, Sgt. William M. Bays, and Cpl. Dillon C. Baldridge were assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 3rd Battalion, 320th Field Artillery Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) and Company D, 1st Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.
The three troops died of gunshots wounds, which the Taliban later claimed responsibility for. The shooter was identified as an Afghan commando, who turned on the U.S. troops and opened fire, and was then killed by return fire.
Since 2008, there have been nearly 100 insider attacks against U.S. troops in Afghanistan.
Task & Purpose will continue to update this story as we learn more.
Though the Army has yet to actually set an official recruiting goal for this year, leaders are confident they're going to bring in more soldiers than last year.
Maj. Gen. Frank Muth, head of Army Recruiting Command, told reporters on Wednesday that the Army was currently 2,226 contracts ahead of where it was in 2019.
"I will just tell you that this time last year we were in the red, and now we're in the green which is — the momentum's there and we see it continuing throughout the end of the year," Muth said, adding that the service hit recruiting numbers in February that haven't been hit during that month since 2014.
KABUL/WASHINGTON/PESHAWAR, Pakistan (Reuters) - The United States and the Taliban will sign an agreement on Feb. 29 at the end of a week long period of violence reduction in Afghanistan, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and the Taliban said on Friday.
Another Marine was hit with jail time and a bad-conduct discharge in connection with a slew of arrests made last summer over suspicions that members of a California-based infantry battalion were transporting people who'd crossed into the U.S. illegally.
Some Fort Bragg paratroopers who left for the Middle East on a no-notice deployment last month came home Thursday.
About 3,500 soldiers with the 82nd Airborne Division's 1st Brigade Combat Team were sent to Kuwait beginning Jan. 1 as tensions were rising in the region. The first soldiers were in the air within 18 hours of being told to go.
Large cargo ships, small fishing boats and other watercraft sail safely past Naval Station Norfolk every day, but there's always a possibility that terrorists could use any one of them to attack the world's largest naval base.
While Navy security keeps a close eye on every vessel that passes, there's an inherent risk for the sailors aboard small patrol boats who are tasked with helping keep aircraft carriers, submarines and destroyers on base safe from waterborne attacks.
So the Navy experimented Wednesday to test whether an unmanned vessel could stop a small boat threatening the base from the Elizabeth River.