Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
A Navy installation blasted 'The Star-Spangled Banner' at high volume for 3 days straight, scaring the crap out of its neighbors
From Long Beach to Huntington Beach, residents were greeted Saturday, June 15, at precisely 8 a.m. with "The Star-Spangled Banner." Then 12 hours later, the "Retreat" bugle call bellowed throughout Seal Beach and beyond.
At first, people wondered if the booming sound paid tribute to Flag Day, June 14. Seal Beach neighbors bordering Los Alamitos assumed the music was coming from the nearby Joint Forces Training Base.
But then it happened again Sunday. And Monday. Folks took to the Nextdoor social media app seeking an answer to the mystery.
As it turns out, the music emanated from the Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station near Pacific Coast Highway – a good five miles from some of the houses reached. For homes closer to the station, in the Old Town and Hill neighborhoods, it sounded like a band marching through the living room.
The flag is raised at the Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station on Tuesday, June 18. Normally, the station plays "The Star-Spangled Banner" when the flag is raised at 8 a.m. every day. For three days, it did so on its emergency broadcast system, with the smaller sound system out of service — blasting music from Huntington Beach to Long Beach. As of Tuesday, the Naval Weapons Station will raise the flag without playing the National Anthem until the system can be reset to a lower volumen. (Courtesy of the Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station)
"We're using a different sound system than we did previously," explained Gregg Smith, public affairs officer for the Naval Weapons Station. "This one not only has bigger speakers – it has more speakers."
The Navy normally plays a recording of the national anthem every morning when the U.S. flag is raised. At sunset, the military ceremonial song "Retreat" pays tribute to the flag as it is lowered.
In the past, a much smaller speaker kept the music within range of the base. But that system, Smith said, went kaput Friday. "It's was just the luck of the draw that it was Flag Day," he said.
Officials are looking into repairing the smaller sound system, Smith said, but it may be a lost cause due to its age.
For three days, the Naval Weapons Station carried on with an intense sound system normally reserved for emergency broadcasts – warnings about potential tsunamis, high winds, fires and such.
Dozens and dozens of comments on Nextdoor indicated a schism in opinions on the matter.
"I love it. Let's all call the base and tell them how much Seal Beach wants them to keep it going," a woman who lives in Old Town urged.
"My wife now gets out to pick up our paper and stands at attention during the 'Star-Spangled Banner,'" reported a Huntington Harbour resident.
"It's wonderful to know that there's still patriotism!!" a Long Beach woman offered.
But others complained about the sudden blast of noise at an undesirable hour.
"Some of us work really late and don't get to go to bed until 4 a.m," a woman in Old Town noted.
"The current setup sounds louder in my bedroom than my own alarm!!" another Seal Beach resident wrote.
"Good neighbors don't play their favorite music, or ANY music, that loud at 8 a.m.," said a man in Old Town.
Naval Weapons Station officials are in the process of finding a happy medium, Smith said. Until that happens, starting Tuesday, June 18, no music at all will be broadcast.
"At this point," Smith promised, "we are trying to set the system at a decent volume that does not wake up our neighbors."
©2019 The Orange County Register (Santa Ana, Calif.). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Friday that no U.S. troops will take part in enforcing the so-called safe zone in northern Syria and the United States "is continuing our deliberate withdrawal from northeastern Syria."
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan earlier on Friday said Turkey will set up a dozen observation posts across northeast Syria, insisting that a planned "safe zone" will extend much further than U.S. officials said was covered under a fragile ceasefire deal.
On Tuesday at the Association of the U.S. Army's annual conference, Army families had the opportunity to tell senior leaders exactly what was going on in their worlds — an opportunity that is, unfortunately, all too rare.
A new documentary series about Clint Lorance pits the infantry officer convicted of murder against his former soldiers
The fog of war, just kills, and war crimes are the focus of a new documentary series coming to STARZ. Titled Leavenworth, the five-part series profiles 1st Lt. Clint Lorance, the Army infantry officer who was convicted on murder charges for ordering his soldiers to fire on three unarmed Afghan men on a motorcycle, killing two and wounding the third, while deployed to the Zhari district in Kandahar province, on July 2, 2012.
A big stereotype surrounding U.S. service members and veterans is that they are defined only by their military service, from buying "Dysfunctional Veteran" t-shirts to playing hard-boiled, high-octane first-person shooters like Battlefield and Call of Duty (we honestly have no idea where anyone could get that impression).
But the folks at OSD (formerly called Operation Supply Drop), a non-profit veteran service organization that aims to help troops and vets connect with each other through free video games, service programs and other activities, recently found that most of the gamers they've served actually prefer less military-centric fare like sports games and fantasy RPGs.
CEYLANPINAR, Turkey (Reuters) - Shelling could be heard at the Syrian-Turkish border on Friday morning despite a five-day ceasefire agreed between Turkey and the United States, and Washington said the deal covered only a small part of the territory Ankara aims to seize.
Reuters journalists at the border heard machine-gun fire and shelling and saw smoke rising from the Syrian border battlefield city of Ras al Ain, although the sounds of fighting had subsided by mid-morning.
The truce, announced on Thursday by U.S. Vice President Mike Pence after talks in Ankara with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, sets out a five-day pause to let the Kurdish-led SDF militia withdraw from an area controlled by Turkish forces.
The SDF said air and artillery attacks continued to target its positions and civilian targets in Ral al Ain.
"Turkey is violating the ceasefire agreement by continuing to attack the town since last night," SDF spokesman Mustafa Bali tweeted.
The Kurdish-led administration in the area said Turkish truce violations in Ras al Ain had caused casualties, without giving details.