A Suspect Is In Custody After An Airman Was Found Dead In Guam

news
(U.S. Air Force photo/Samuel King Jr.)

A suspect has been taken into custody – but not charged – in connection with the death of an airman at Andersen Air Force Base in Guam, who may have been stabbed, according to the Air Force Office of Special Investigations.


The airman was pronounced dead in base quarters around 3 a.m. on March 27 after being found unresponsive, a base news release says.

Security forces airmen who were first on the scene,“saw a lot of blood at the scene and what appeared to be a stab wound on the victim,” said OSI spokeswoman Linda Card.

Investigators will not know the cause and manner of the airman’s death until an autopsy is completed, Card told Task & Purpose on Wednesday. Until then, OSI will not have conclusive evidence on how the airman died, nor will it make any decisions on whether anyone should be charged, she said.

“There is a subject in custody,” Card said.  “However, he remains innocent of any criminal charges until the autopsy results are released and charges are preferred.  Until then we will continue to investigate and take appropriate action based on conclusive investigative findings as well as the official autopsy report.”

Card initially said that Guam’s medical examiner noticed what appeared to be stab marks on the airman’s body, but she later said she misspoke. A military medical examiner from Kadena Air Base, Okinawa is enroute to Guam to perform the autopsy on Friday at mortuary affairs on Naval Base Guam, she said.

WATCH NEXT:

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that the Guam medical examiner saw stab wounds on the airman's body.

After more than a decade and billions spent developing the consistently troubled F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, the Air Force is eyeing a new variant of the F-15 — much to lawmakers' dismay.

Read More Show Less
Islamic state members walk in the last besieged neighborhood in the village of Baghouz, Deir Al Zor province, Syria February 18, 2019. (Reuters/Rodi Said)

NEAR BAGHOUZ, Syria (Reuters) - The Islamic State appeared closer to defeat in its last enclave in eastern Syria on Wednesday, as a civilian convoy left the besieged area where U.S.-backed forces estimate a few hundred jihadists are still holed up.

Read More Show Less
Russian President Vladimir Putin fires a fortress cannon. (Associated Press/Sputnik/Alexei Druzhinin)

Russian President Vladimir Putin warned Wednesday that Russia will target the U.S. with new weapons should Washington decide to deploy intermediate-range ballistic missiles (ICBMs) to Europe following the recent death of a Cold War-era arms control agreement, according to multiple reports.

He threatened to target not only the host countries where U.S. missiles might be stationed but also decision-making centers in the U.S.

Read More Show Less
U.S. Air Force Airmen assigned to the 317th Airlift Wing walk to waiting family members and friends after stepping off of a C-130J Super Hercules at Dyess Air Force Base, Texas, Sept. 17, 2018 (U.S. Air Force/Airman 1st Class Mercedes Porter)

Editor's Note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The U.S. Air Force has issued new guidelines for active-duty, reserve and National Guard airmen who are considered non-deployable, and officials will immediately begin flagging those who have been unable to deploy for 12 consecutive months for separation consideration.

Read More Show Less
Pictured left to right: Pedro Pascal ("Catfish"), Garrett Hedlund ("Ben"), Charlie Hunnam ("Ironhead"), and Ben Affleck ("Redfly") Photo Courtesy of Netflix

A new trailer for Netflix's Triple Frontier dropped last week, and it looks like a gritty mash-up of post-9/11 war dramas Zero Dark Thirty and Hurt Locker and crime thrillers Narcos and The Town.

Read More Show Less