A Suspect Is In Custody After An Airman Was Found Dead In Guam

Honor Guard graduation ceremony March 1, 2018 at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
(U.S. Air Force photo/Samuel King Jr.)

A suspect has been taken into custody – but not charged – in connection with the death of an airman at Andersen Air Force Base in Guam, who may have been stabbed, according to the Air Force Office of Special Investigations.

The airman was pronounced dead in base quarters around 3 a.m. on March 27 after being found unresponsive, a base news release says.

Security forces airmen who were first on the scene,“saw a lot of blood at the scene and what appeared to be a stab wound on the victim,” said OSI spokeswoman Linda Card.

Investigators will not know the cause and manner of the airman’s death until an autopsy is completed, Card told Task & Purpose on Wednesday. Until then, OSI will not have conclusive evidence on how the airman died, nor will it make any decisions on whether anyone should be charged, she said.

“There is a subject in custody,” Card said.  “However, he remains innocent of any criminal charges until the autopsy results are released and charges are preferred.  Until then we will continue to investigate and take appropriate action based on conclusive investigative findings as well as the official autopsy report.”

Card initially said that Guam’s medical examiner noticed what appeared to be stab marks on the airman’s body, but she later said she misspoke. A military medical examiner from Kadena Air Base, Okinawa is enroute to Guam to perform the autopsy on Friday at mortuary affairs on Naval Base Guam, she said.


CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that the Guam medical examiner saw stab wounds on the airman's body.

A military funeral at Fort Jackson National Cemetery in 2014. Photo: Sgt. 1st Class Joel Quebec/U.S. Army

A U.S. soldier died on Friday while in Syria supporting Operation Inherent Resolve, the Defense Department announced on Saturday.

Read More
DoD photo

A word that could once not be mentioned in court — torture — was front and center on Friday as a military tribunal prepares to take on the long-delayed trial of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the confessed chief plotter of the 9/11 attacks, and four other defendants.

"I know torture's a dirty word," defense attorney Walter Ruiz told the tribunal. "I'll tell you what, judge, I'm not going to sanitize this for their concerns."

Read More

The suspect in the death of 21-year-old U.S. Marine Cpl. Tyler Wallingford, who was fatally shot in the barracks of the U.S. Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort more than nine months ago, was found guilty in military court of involuntary manslaughter earlier this month and sentenced to more than five years.

Read More
U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Dylan McKay

A U.S. Navy aircrew has been rescued after their MH-60S helicopter went down into the Philippine Sea on Saturday.

Read More
Photo: Fort Jackson Public Affairs

A 19-year-old Army private who died during basic training earlier this month was posthumously promoted to private first class, just before friends and family gathered for a memorial service to honor his life on Jan. 16.

Read More