Lost Night Vision Goggles Force Lockdown For Unit Just Back From Afghanistan

news

An Army infantry battalion from Fort Drum, New York, just back from Afghanistan faces lockdown while leaders and authorities search for a missing pair of night vision goggles, according to local press reports.


The unit — 4th Battalion, 31st Infantry Regiment — cannot account for a pair of night vision goggles valued between $2,000–3,000, according to a report in the Watertown Daily Times, the local newspaper for the town outside of Fort Drum.

The unit was placed on lockdown the evening of Friday, Feb. 26, after the night vision goggles were discovered missing.

The newspaper interviewed one anonymous spouse of a soldier who said many soldiers were recalled as late as 1:30 a.m. Saturday morning, leading many to leave their families or find rides to the installation, as they were out drinking.

Related: What enlisted troops drink at every stage of their careers »

The entire battalion of about 500 soldiers spent the weekend through Tuesday morning confined to their workspaces. They slept on cots and were fed Meals, Ready-to-Eat, according to the local Fox affiliate in upstate New York.

“I can’t imagine a worse time for an accountable item to go missing than when our soldiers and families are reuniting after a successful deployment,” Julie Halpin, a spokesperson for Fort Drum, told the Watertown Daily Times.

Fort Drum public affairs did not immediately return Task & Purpose’s request for comment.

The local Fox affiliate reports that late Tuesday morning, the lockdown was lifted for most of the battalion, all except the members of Company B, where apparently the night vision goggles were issued.

So while the majority of 4th Battalion, 31st Infantry Regiment, can finally reunite with their families after a four-day lockdown, the roughly 130 soldiers of Company B remain totally confined to their workspaces, eating MREs, and sleeping on cots.

Way to be the one, Company B.

U.S. Air National Guard photo by Tech. Sgt. Matt Hech
(U.S. Army photo)

Army Futures Command will reach fully operational status just before the newest gem of the Army's modernization plan sees its first birthday on August 24th, officials announced on Tuesday.

AFC Commander Gen. John "Mike" Murray told reporters at a technologies showcase on Tuesday that the command will be fully operational on July 31st before showing off everything AFC personnel have been working on over the last year, from night vision goggles and robotic vehicles to new air- and missile-defense capabilities.

Read More Show Less
(Associated Press/Carolyn Kaster)

Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) has been told to stop using the Marine Corps' emblem and the 1st Marine Division's motto in his campaign literature, Corps officials confirmed.

The Marine Corps Trademark Licensing Office has sent Hunter, a Marine veteran, a cease and desist letter telling him to quit using the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor emblem along with the phrase, "No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy," on a fundraising mailer that accuses his political opponent of having links to terrorism, NBC News first reported on Wednesday.

Read More Show Less
(Arapahoe County Sheriff's Department)

Arapahoe County sheriff's deputies have arrested a U.S. Army recruiter for investigation of soliciting girls as young as 10 years old for sex after he allegedly sent selfies calling himself "Colorado batman," the sheriff's department reported.

Read More Show Less
(Associated Press/The Fayetteville Observer/Andrew Craft)

An Army appeals court has rejected Bowe Bergdahl's claim that President Trump's public description of him as "a no-good traitor who should have been executed" and other comments on the disgraced soldier's case constituted unlawful command influence (UCI).

Read More Show Less
(Department of Defense photos)

Editor's Note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared onMilitary.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The Marine Corps must update its parental-leave policies to give new moms and dads time with their newborns, the service's new top general wrote this week, including considering a full year's worth of leave for women who've had a child.

Marines should not be expected to choose between being the best parent possible and their career duties, Commandant Gen. David Berger wrote in his planning guidance released to the force Tuesday.

"These outcomes should never be in competition to the extent that success with one will come at the expense of the other," Berger wrote. "Our parental/maternity leave policies are inadequate and have failed to keep pace with societal norms and modern talent management practices."

Read More Show Less