Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
ABC News thought this Kentucky gun range video was from Turkey’s invasion of Syria
Video footage of a purported "bombing of Kurd civilians" by Turkish military forces shown on ABC News appeared to be a nighttime firing of tracer rounds at a Kentucky gun range.
The footage purported to show the "fury of the Turkish attack" on the Turkey-Syria border, where Turkish forces are indeed attacking the once U.S.-backed Kurdish militia.
"This video, right here, appearing to show Turkey's military bombing Kurd civilians in a Syrian border town," ABC anchor Tom Llamas said in the broadcast.
The original Knob Creek footage showed tracer rounds being fired by automatic weapons amid explosions, as a group of people filmed the tracer rounds on their cell phones.
The onlookers from the original video were not pictured in the broadcast.
A spokesman for the Knob Creek Gun Range said that ABC News's footage initially appears to be of the gun shoot.
"As of right now," the spokesperson said to The Washington Examiner, "it seems to be our footage."
Insider's calls to Knob Creek Gun Range were not answered on Monday.
ABC News said it regretted the error on Monday and took down the video segment.
"We've taken down video that aired on 'World News Tonight' Sunday and 'Good Morning America' this morning that appeared to be from the Syrian border immediately after questions were raised about its accuracy," the network said in a statement. "ABC News regrets the error."
Turkish troops have deployed to northeast Syria following President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw troops from the area last week. Turkey has long cited the Kurdish People's Protection Units, or YPG, and the majority-Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces as terrorist threats.
Numerous Kurdish forces and civilians, who were once backed by the U.S. for their campaign against ISIS, have died in the campaign.
Read more from Business Insider:
- The U.S. Army just got its hands on the best night-vision goggles in the world — here's what it can do and what's next
- U.S. military communications are struggling to keep up with rivals, the Pentagon reveals in first-of-its-kind study
- USA Today issues a clarification after depicting a rifle with a 'chainsaw bayonet'
- Another WWII series is on the way from Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks
- Meet the overlooked crews who make sure fellow Marines can fight from ship to shore
It didn't take long for a central theme to emerge at the funeral of U.S. Marine Pfc. Joseph Livermore, an event attended by hundreds of area residents Friday at Union Cemetery in Bakersfield.
It's a theme that stems from a widespread local belief that the men and women who have served in the nation's armed forces are held in particularly high esteem here in the southern valley.
"In Bakersfield and Kern County, we celebrate our veterans like no place else on Earth," Bakersfield Chief of Police Lyle Martin told the gathering of mourners.
ROCKFORD — Delta Force sniper Sgt. First Class James P. McMahon's face was so badly battered and cut, "he looked like he was wearing a fright mask" as he stood atop a downed Black Hawk helicopter and pulled free the body of a fellow soldier from the wreckage.
That's the first description of McMahon in the book by journalist Mark Bowden called "Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War." It is a detailed account of the horrific Battle of the Black Sea fought in the streets of Mogadishu, Somalia, in October 1993. It claimed the lives of 18 elite American soldiers.
Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher will retire as a chief petty officer now that President Donald Trump has restored his rank.
"Before the prosecution of Special Warfare Operator First Class Edward Gallagher, he had been selected for promotion to Senior Chief, awarded a Bronze Star with a "V" for valor, and assigned to an important position in the Navy as an instructor," a White House statement said.
"Though ultimately acquitted on all of the most serious charges, he was stripped of these honors as he awaited his trial and its outcome. Given his service to our Nation, a promotion back to the rank and pay grade of Chief Petty Officer is justified."
The announcement that Gallagher is once again an E-7 effectively nullifies the Navy's entire effort to prosecute Gallagher for allegedly committing war crimes. It is also the culmination of Trump's support for the SEAL throughout the legal process.
On July 2, military jurors found Gallagher not guilty of premeditated murder and attempted murder for allegedly stabbing a wounded ISIS fighter to death and opening fire at an old man and a young girl on separate occasions during his 2017 deployment to Iraq.