Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Active-Duty Troops Sue Trump Over His Transgender Ban
Five transgender service members serving on active duty sued President Donald Trump on Wednesday over his directive to ban them from the U.S. military.
It is the first legal action against the president’s policy change, which he announced in a series of tweets on July 26. The unnamed service members, who are referred to as “Jane Doe,” are serving in the Air Force, Army and the Coast Guard. Some have served as long as two decades, including tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The lawsuit, filed by the National Center for Lesbian Rights and GLBTQ Legal Advocates & Defenders, argues that reversing the Pentagon’s current policy is unconstitutional and denies transgender service members equal protection and due process. Transgender troops have been allowed to serve openly since June 2016.
“Nothing like this has ever happened before,” Shannon Minter, a transgender legal expert and NCLR’s legal director, told McClatchy. “This is not normal for a president to treat active service members this way. It’s unprecedented in the history of the military for a group to be embraced and included, and then purged.”
The policy has yet to be formally implemented, but the White House says it is working with the Defense Department on guidance.
“We have very serious reason to believe that they are moving forward with this new policy,” Minter said, arguing that transgender advocates can’t take a “wait-and-see” approach.
“These service members came out, relying on the (Pentagon’s) policy and now they have just been blindsided,” he said. “They are facing immediate choices about training, re-enlistment, health care and their families. How are they supposed to make these choices given the drastic uncertainties now hanging over their heads?”
The service members’ attorneys are asking a federal court in Washington, D.C., to immediately block any change to the current policy.
There are between 1,320 and 6,630 active-duty transgender individuals currently in the military, about 0.05 percent of the total active force, according to a RAND Corp. analysis. Other studies put that number as high as 15,000.
“Our military must be focused on decisive and overwhelming victory and cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail,” Trump said in his tweeted announcement.
The military countered that until it receives official guidance from the White House “there will be no modifications to the current policy.”
“In the meantime, we will continue to treat all of our personnel with respect,” Gen. Joseph Dunford, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said last month.
After commissioning an extensive study on how it would affect the military, the Defense Department under former President Barack Obama lifted the ban on transgender troops serving openly last year. The study concluded that letting transgender people serve openly would have a “minimal impact” on both military readiness and health care costs.
“I was very relieved and came out as transgender to my commanding officers, who were supportive,” said one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit. “My experience has been positive and I am prouder than ever to continue to serve. The military has been my life, but now I’m worried about my family’s future.”
The Pentagon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Trump’s directive was criticized by 56 retired U.S. generals and admirals last week, who argued that the ban “would cause significant disruptions, deprive the military of mission-critical talent, and compromise the integrity of transgender troops.”
©2017 McClatchy Washington Bureau. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
Retired Army Master Sgt. Mark Allen has died 10 years after he was shot in the head while searching for deserter Pvt. Bowe Bergdahl in Afghanistan.
Allen died on Saturday at the age of 46, according to funeral information posted online.
For U.S. service members who have fought alongside the Kurds, President Donald Trump's decision to approve repositioning U.S. forces in Syria ahead of Turkey's invasion is a naked betrayal of valued allies.
"I am ashamed for the first time in my career," one unnamed special operator told Fox News Jennifer Griffin.
In a Twitter thread that went viral, Griffin wrote the soldier told her the Kurds were continuing to support the United States by guarding tens of thousands of ISIS prisoners even though Turkey had nullified an arrangement under which U.S. and Turkish troops were conducting joint patrols in northeastern Syria to allow the Kurdish People's Protection Units, or YPG, to withdraw.
"The Kurds are sticking by us," the soldier told Griffin. "No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."
Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Sunday he and the Pentagon will comply with House Democrats' impeachment inquiry subpoena, but it'll be on their own schedule.
"We will do everything we can to cooperate with the Congress," Esper said on CBS' "Face the Nation." "Just in the last week or two, my general counsel sent out a note — as we typically do in these situations — to ensure documents are retained."
Most of the U.S. troops in Syria are being moved out of the country as Turkish forces and their Arab allies push further into Kurdish territory than originally expected, Task & Purpose has learned.
Roughly 1,000 U.S. troops are withdrawing from Syria, leaving a residual force of between 100 and 150 service members at the Al Tanf garrison, a U.S. official said.
"I spoke with the president last night after discussions with the rest of the national security team and he directed that we begin a deliberate withdrawal of forces from northern Syria," Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Sunday's edition of CBS News' "Face the Nation."'
More than 700 women and children affiliated with ISIS escape Kurdish prison camp after Turkish shelling
BEIRUT/ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Women affiliated with Islamic State and their children fled en masse from a camp where they were being held in northern Syria on Sunday after shelling by Turkish forces in a five-day-old offensive, the region's Kurdish-led administration said.
Turkey's cross-border attack in northern Syria against Kurdish forces widened to target the town of Suluk which was hit by Ankara's Syrian rebel allies. There were conflicting accounts on the outcome of the fighting.
Turkey is facing threats of possible sanctions from the United States unless it calls off the incursion. Two of its NATO allies, Germany and France, have said they are halting weapons exports to Turkey. The Arab League has denounced the operation.