3 US Troops Killed By IED In Afghanistan

Bullet Points

Three U.S. troops were killed and another three were wounded on Tuesday by an improvised explosive device near Ghazni city, U.S. officials announced.


  • The names of the fallen and wounded troops are being withheld pending next of kin notification, said Army Lt. Ubon Mendie, a spokesperson for Operation Resolute Support. The three wounded troops and an American contractor who was also wounded in the blast have been evacuated and are receiving medical care.
  • With Tuesday’s incident, a total of 13 U.S. service members have been killed in Afghanistan in 2018.

  • Separately, Resolute Support announced that a Ranger who was killed on Nov. 24 was likely accidentally shot by a member of the Afghan security forces. Sgt. Leandro Jasso was killed while fighting Al Qaeda militants in Nimrod province.
  • “Early interviews indicate the tragic accident occurred when the partnered force became engaged in a close-quarter battle during an assault on one of multiple barricaded al Qaeda shooters,” Resolute Support announced on Tuesday.
  • An initial review into Jasso’s death found no indications that he was shot intentionally, a Resolute Support news release says. Jasso, 25, was on his third deployment to Afghanistan.
  • “The loss of Sgt. Jasso is felt by his family and loved ones, by all who served with him and by all on this mission to protect our country and our allies,” Army Gen. Austin “Scott” Miller, top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, said in the news release.
  • “Sgt. Jasso was killed defending our nation, fighting Al Qaeda alongside our Afghan partners,” Miller continued. “All of us, and throughout our coalition of 41 nations, recognize the threats posed by groups such as Al Qaeda and ISIS and are determined to fight them here.”

SEE ALSO: The Longest War: 8 Years After My Last Deployment, I Returned To Afghanistan As A Reporter. Here’s What I Found

WATCH NEXT:

(Glow Images via Associated Press)

Editor's Note: This article by Amy Bushatz originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

A massive billing glitch in Tricare's East region, managed by Humana, on Thursday slammed about 25,000 beneficiaries with premium charges 100 times more than they owe monthly for their coverage.

Read More Show Less
A UH-60 Black Hawk departs from The Rock while conducting Medevac 101 training with members of the 386th Expeditionary Medical Group, Feb. 16, 2019. (U.S. Air Force Photo/Tech. Sgt. Robert Cloys)

A Minnesota Army National Guard UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter with three Guardsmen aboard crashed south of St. Cloud on Thursday, said National Guard spokeswoman Army Master Sgt. Blair Heusdens.

At this time, the National Guard is not releasing any information about the status of the three people aboard the helicopter, Heusdens told Task & Purpose on Thursday.

Read More Show Less
Members of the National Socialist Movement, one of the largest neo-Nazi groups in the US, hold a swastika burning after a rally on April 21, 2018 in Draketown, Georgia. (Getty Images/Spencer Platt)

Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.

Former Canadian Army Reserve Master Cpl. Patrik Mathews, 26, was first identified as a member of The Base by Winnipeg Free Press reporter Ryan Thorpe.

Days after Thorpe's report was published, Mathews went missing and was discharged from the military for his alleged ties to the group. His car was found about 10 miles from the U.S. border soon thereafter, and police found a cache of weapons when they raided his home.

Vice reporters Ben Makuch, Mack Lamoureux, and Zachary Kamel, citing confidential sources, reported on Thursday that Mathews had been illegally smuggled across the border and is being hidden by members of The Base, which has operated in encrypted chatrooms as a largely online organization.

Read More Show Less

The Pentagon's latest attempt to twist itself in knots to deny that it is considering sending up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East has a big caveat.

Pentagon spokeswoman Alyssa Farah said there are no plans to send that many troops to the region "at this time."

Farah's statement does not rule out the possibility that the Defense Department could initially announce a smaller deployment to the region and subsequently announce that more troops are headed downrange.

Read More Show Less

The Navy could send a second aircraft carrier to the Middle East if President Donald Trump orders a surge of forces to the region, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday said on Thursday.

Gordon Lubold and Nancy Youssef of the Wall Street Journal first reported the United States is considering sending up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East to deter Iran from attacking U.S. forces and regional allies. The surge forces could include several ships.

Read More Show Less