Chief Master Sergeant At Air Force Nuke Command Fired For Sending Inappropriate Texts

news
Underground Nuclear Deterrence

The senior enlisted leader at Air Force Global Strike Command has been fired after an investigation found he had sent inappropriate texts to a junior enlisted airmen during his previous assignment in Washington, D.C., Air Force officials announced on Friday.


Command Chief Master Sgt. Thomas B. Mazzone has been punished administratively but not reduced in rank, said Air Force Global Strike Command spokesman Capt. Earon Brown. Mazzone is being reassigned within the command, which has purview over the Air Force's nuclear bombers and missiles.

"There was sufficient evidence that showed that Chief Mazzone had engaged in an unprofessional relationship through sending inappropriate text messages with this junior enlisted member for an extended period of time," Brown told Task & Purpose.

The enlisted airman was assigned to a subordinate wing while Mazzone was command chief at Air Force District Washington, Brown said.

"It was also determined that for good order and discipline, it was necessary to remove Chief Mazzone from the command chief position," Brown said.

Mazzone is the latest member of Global Strike Command to be fired for misconduct. Its former deputy commander Brig. Gen. Paul W. Tibbets IV was forced to retire without receiving his second star in September after an investigation found he had made inappropriate comments about women and not reporting suicide attempts during a previous assignment.

Tibbets is the grandson of the Brig. Gen. Paul Tibbets Jr., who piloted the B-29 that dropped the first atomic bomb on Japan in 1945.

More recently, Lt. Col. Paul Goossen was fired as the commander of the 69th Bomb Squadron in November because his airmen used Microsoft Paint to draw penises.

SEE ALSO: Oops, I Did It Again: Airmen Lose Machine Gun After Losing Box Of Grenades

WATCH NEXT: Testing The Minuteman

Editor's Note: This article by Oriana Pawlyk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

NATIONAL HARBOR, Maryland -- The U.S. Air Force will call its new trainer the T-7A "Red Hawk."

Acting Air Force Secretary Matt Donovan announced the name of the jet, known previously as the T-X, on Monday, alongside retired Col. Charles McGee, who was a member of the Tuskegee Airmen.

"The name, Red Hawk, honors the legacy of the Tuskegee Airmen, and pays homage to their signature red-tailed aircraft from World War II," Donovan said here during the annual Air, Space and Cyber conference.

Read More Show Less

The Special Forces community is honoring the life of Sgt. 1st Class Jeremy W. Griffin, who was killed in Afghanistan on Monday, whom his commander described as a superlative soldier and beloved teammate.

"He was a warrior - an accomplished, respected and loved Special Forces soldier that will never be forgotten," Col. Owen G. Ray, commander of 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), said in a news release. "We ask that you keep his family and teammates in your thoughts and prayers."

Read More Show Less

DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran held talks with a delegation from Afghanistan's Taliban, the Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday, a week after peace talks between the United States and the Islamist insurgents collapsed.

Iran said in December it had been meeting with Taliban representatives with the knowledge of the Afghan government, after reports of U.S.-Taliban talks about a ceasefire and a possible withdrawal of foreign troops.

Read More Show Less
US Marine Corps

The Marine lieutenant colonel who was removed from command of 1st Reconnaissance Battalion in May is accused of lying to investigators looking into allegations of misconduct, according to a copy of his charge sheet provided to Task & Purpose on Monday.

Read More Show Less

President Donald Trump just can't stop telling stories about former Defense Secretary James Mattis. This time, the president claims Mattis said U.S. troops were so perilously low on ammunition that it would be better to hold off launching a military operation.

"You know, when I came here, three years ago almost, Gen. Mattis told me, 'Sir, we're very low on ammunition,'" Trump recalled on Monday at the White House. "I said, 'That's a horrible thing to say.' I'm not blaming him. I'm not blaming anybody. But that's what he told me because we were in a position with a certain country, I won't say which one; we may have had conflict. And he said to me: 'Sir, if you could, delay it because we're very low on ammunition.'

"And I said: You know what, general, I never want to hear that again from another general," Trump continued. "No president should ever, ever hear that statement: 'We're low on ammunition.'"

Read More Show Less