ISIS, Routed In Iraq And Syria, Is Quietly Gaining Strength In Africa

news
U.S. Army Special Forces soldiers observe as Nigerien armed forces service members fire their weapons with the assistance of Illumination rounds during Exercise Flintlock 2017 in Diffa, Niger, March 9, 2017.
U.S. Army/Spc. Zayid Ballesteros

An ISIS affiliate operating under the radar in western Africa now poses a more significant threat to the region than the notorious Boko Haram terrorist group, U.S. military officials say.


The Islamic State West Africa, made up of former Boko Haram fighters, broke away from its parent group about 2016 after internal power struggles. The group, which maintains loose ties to the core ISIS leadership in Syria and Iraq, has taken on more sophisticated battlefield tactics than Boko Haram and is making inroads among local populations, U.S. Africa Command officials said.

“Our greater concern now is the splinter group,” Col. Stephen Wertz, who manages AFRICOM efforts in western Africa, said on Friday. “We see them as a longer term strategic threat.”

Related: The Pentagon Is Woefully Unprepared For The Global War On Terror’s African Front »

Since AFRICOM was launched a decade ago, the range of threats across the continent has increased in places like Libya and the countries in the Lake Chad Basin area.

Three years ago, Boko Haram held large swaths of territory around Lake Chad. The group’s aim was to impose a harsh brand of Islamic law across Nigeria. Its tactics centered on terrorizing local populations with high-profile attacks. But under pressure from Nigerian and other regional militaries, Boko Haram has recently lost territory and is mostly confined to remote areas of northern Nigeria.

“There strength is their persistence, but they are not what they were three years ago,” an AFRICOM official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

ISIS in West Africa has taken a different approach than that of its former Boko Haram partners. Instead of high-profile attacks on civilians, it is operating with more discipline. “They have a more strategic view point of what is going on,” the AFRICOM official said.

Related: There Is No Trump Africa Strategy »

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis was at AFRICOM headquarters in Stuttgart Friday for meetings with the command leadership to discuss security threats in Africa.

U.S. special operations forces have been present in western Africa for years, but their efforts have come under scrutiny since an October ambush that resulted in the deaths of four American soldiers in Niger. AFRICOM is expected to soon finalize its investigation into the incident, which Mattis will then review.

Threats emanating from western Africa in places such as Niger, Nigeria and Mali are complicated by the presence of a confusing mix of extremist groups. The region has a long history of militants flipping sides, splintering and reorganizing under new names. So far, it is not clear that any of the groups pose a direct threat to the United States since attacks have been confined to the general region.

Still, AFRICOM says it is paying close attention, providing training and intelligence support to indigenous forces on the ground.

———

©2018 the Stars and Stripes. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

WATCH NEXT:

A military funeral at Fort Jackson National Cemetery in 2014. Photo: Sgt. 1st Class Joel Quebec/U.S. Army

A U.S. soldier died on Friday while in Syria supporting Operation Inherent Resolve, the Defense Department announced on Saturday.

Read More
DoD photo

A word that could once not be mentioned in court — torture — was front and center on Friday as a military tribunal prepares to take on the long-delayed trial of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the confessed chief plotter of the 9/11 attacks, and four other defendants.

"I know torture's a dirty word," defense attorney Walter Ruiz told the tribunal. "I'll tell you what, judge, I'm not going to sanitize this for their concerns."

Read More

The suspect in the death of 21-year-old U.S. Marine Cpl. Tyler Wallingford, who was fatally shot in the barracks of the U.S. Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort more than nine months ago, was found guilty in military court of involuntary manslaughter earlier this month and sentenced to more than five years.

Read More
U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Dylan McKay

A U.S. Navy aircrew has been rescued after their MH-60S helicopter went down into the Philippine Sea on Saturday.

Read More
Photo: Fort Jackson Public Affairs

A 19-year-old Army private who died during basic training earlier this month was posthumously promoted to private first class, just before friends and family gathered for a memorial service to honor his life on Jan. 16.

Read More