The Air Force Academy's Sexual Assault Prevention Office Is A Total Disaster

news
U.S. Air Force/Tech. Sgt. Julius Delos Reyes

Mismanagement of the Air Force Academy's Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office has put the school out of compliance with Defense Department policies, a Pentagon report released Wednesday said.


The problems, revealed late last year in a 560-page report released to The Gazette under the Freedom of Information Act, included infighting, mishandled cases, questionable record keeping and alleged office romances.

"A commander-directed investigation disclosed significant evidence of mismanagement and unprofessionalism that negatively impacted victim advocacy and assistance rendered to a number of cadets," the Pentagon said in its latest report, which compares sexual assault programs across the military's three major service academies.

The academy was the only program found to be operating outside Defense Department guidelines, but for the first time in a decade saw its sexual assault numbers fall below its peers.

Air Force had 33 reported sexual assaults, with Army tallying 50 - nearly doubling its numbers in a year. Navy had 29 reported sexual assaults.

"We are absolutely committed to making the academies safe," said Robert Wilkie, the Defense Department's undersecretary for personnel and readiness. "It is imperative that these future officers understand how eliminating sexual harassment and assault advances our ability to protect the nation."

The report found that programs at the Naval Academy in Maryland and the U.S. Military Academy in New York complied with Pentagon policies, with Air Force falling short because of chaos in its prevention office.

Overall, reported sexual assaults at the three academy showed a sharp increase, to 112 for the year from 86 in the prior year.

The Defense Department attributed the increase to changes at West Point.

"Most of the reporting increase occurred at the U.S. Military Academy following a change in reporting policy and the relocation of its victim assistance office," the report said.

Investigators praised Air Force sexual assault prevention programs in the report, but found the school hadn't properly cared for victims.

Problems arose last summer in the Air Force sexual assault response office after leaders suspended its director Theresa Beasley and other workers. Last fall, the academy released its report that found the office had been "derelict" in victim care, with some victims ignored.

The new report acknowledged the problems, but found the academy had taken appropriate steps to address its woes.

"The department saw substantive evidence that the superintendent and the leadership team were fully engaged in making sexual assault prevention and response a priority for the academy," the report said.

The academy on Wednesday said it is in the final stages of hiring new workers in its sexual assault office.

"This includes a new program manager, two sexual assault response coordinators, three victim advocates and two violence prevention integrators," the academy said in an emailed statement.

The hirings, the academy said, are the last step in addressing the troubles of 2017.

"We are confident that we have addressed the issues in the ... office at the academy and will continue to scrutinize our efforts and remain transparent as we strive to develop a culture of dignity and respect at the academy," the statement said.

———

©2018 The Gazette (Colorado Springs, Colo.). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Casperassets.rbl.ms

Benjamin Franklin nailed it when he said, "Fatigue is the best pillow." True story, Benny. There's nothing like pushing your body so far past exhaustion that you'd willingly, even longingly, take a nap on a concrete slab.

Take $75 off a Casper Mattress and $150 off a Wave Mattress with code TASKANDPURPOSE

And no one knows that better than military service members and we have the pictures to prove it.

Read More Show Less
A Coalition convoy stops to test fire their M2 machine guns and MK19 Grenade Launcher in the Middle Euphrates River Valley in the Deir ez-Zor province, Syria, Nov. 22, 2018 (U.S. Army/Sgt. Matthew Crane)

BEIRUT (Reuters) - A suicide bomber drove his car into a checkpoint in northeastern Syria on Monday, injuring several soldiers of Kurdish-led forces during a joint convoy with U.S. allies, locals said.

Read More Show Less

Video game company Blizzard Entertainment, which creates blockbuster franchises like World of Warcraft and Overwatch, has stood behind veteran employment for years. On top of hiring veterans, they support many related programs, including Activision Blizzard's Call of Duty Endowment. Blizzard's goal there is to help veterans find careers by supporting organizations that prepare veterans for the job market.

Read More Show Less
A combat patrol advanced three miles north of Lucca (furthermost point occupied by American troops) to contact an enemy machine gun nest in September 1944 as part of the Italian Campaign (DoD/National Archives and Records Administration)

World War II Army veteran Milton Miller says he has never forgotten an act of cowardice by his platoon leader.

It happened in the Alban Hills south of Rome following the Allied Forces' amphibious invasion on the Italian beaches of Anzio in January 1944.

Read More Show Less

The Israeli military followed up on its weekend strikes in Syria the same way that any modern military might: By taunting its regional foe Iran with a silly-ass tweet.

Read More Show Less