Air Force Academy Adds Sexual Misconduct Charges Against Cadet Already Facing Court-Martial

news
U.S. Air Force/Tech. Sgt. Julius Delos Reyes

An Air Force Academy cadet already awaiting court-martial for sexual assault will face additional sexual misconduct charges at an evidence hearing Tuesday.


Prosecutors will add four counts against Armis Sunday, a junior at the school, alleging he sexually assaulted an intoxicated woman and took and distributed a cellphone photograph of her genitals.

“It must be emphasized that charges are merely accusations, and the accused is presumed innocent until proven guilty,” the academy said in a statement.

The initial charges against Sunday alleged he sexually assaulted a woman on the campus in April 2017 by groping her genitals without consent.

The new charges are tied to a Nov. 24, 2016, incident when he allegedly had sex with and photographed the intoxicated woman in Colorado Springs. Military law deems that drunken people can be found incapable of giving consent to sexual acts.

Prosecutors will lay out their evidence in the new case Tuesday in a courtroom at the academy’s Harmon Hall. A hearing officer will weigh the evidence and issue a recommendation on whether there’s sufficient proof to send the case to a court-martial.

Brig. Gen. Kristin Goodwin, the school’s commandant of cadets, will decide whether the case moves ahead.

The first charge against Sunday, a Texas native, carried a maximum prison term of five years. The new charges, combined, bring a maximum punishment of 40 years.

Sunday’s initial case was heard in July and sent to court-martial.

The new charges, if deemed sufficient, would be added to Sunday’s trial scheduled for January, academy officials said.

———

©2018 The Gazette (Colorado Springs, Colo.). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

An Oregon Air National Guard F-15C Eagle that made an emergency landing on Wednesday ditched its entire arsenal of live air-to-air missiles before touching down at Portland International Airport, The War Zone reports.

Read More Show Less

Several hundred U.S. troops will remain in Syria after allied forces clear ISIS fighters out of their last stronghold in the country, officials said on Friday.

President Donald Trump announced in December that he would withdraw all U.S. troops from Syria, but Sen. Lindsey Graham has since made a strong push to keep a small residual force along the Turkish border along with troops from European allies.

Read More Show Less
Chris Osman (Photo: _chris_osman_designs/Instagram)

The former Navy SEAL among a group of eight men arrested earlier this week in Port-au-Prince on weapons charges says he was providing security work "for people who are directly connected to the current President" of Haiti.

"We were being used as pawns in a public fight between him and the current Prime Minister of Haiti," said Chris Osman, 44, in a post on Instagram Friday. "We were not released we were in fact rescued."

Read More Show Less
Former Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis (DoD photo)

A Richland, Washington city councilman thinks native son Jim Mattis would make a terrific governor or even president.

Read More Show Less

It's a photo for the ages: a Marine NCO, a Greek god in his dress blues, catches the eye of a lovely young woman as her boyfriend urges her on in distress. It's the photographic ancestor of the much-loved "distracted boyfriend" stock photo meme, made even sweeter by the fact that this is clearly a sailor about to lose his girl to a Devil Dog.

Well, this photo and the Marine in it, which hopscotched around Marine Corps Facebook and Instagram pages before skyrocketing to the front page of Reddit on Thursday, are very real.

The photo shows then-Staff Sgt. Louis A. Capozzoli — and he is absolutely not on his way to steal your girl.

Read More Show Less