Air Force Boss Reunites With Commissary Bagger, The Man Who First Taught Him About Leadership

Community
Screengrab

Clarence “Charlie” Searchwell has worked with countless military kids who were looking to earn a few bucks bagging groceries at the commissary.


Many have gone on to become colonels and chiefs, he said, and one now wears four stars.

“I’ve been through so many kids,” said Searchwell, the graying but sprightly supervisor of the commissary’s legion of baggers for nearly five decades.

Searchwell, 79, started working at the commissary on Sept. 15, 1967, shortly after leaving the Air Force.

He’s held other jobs on Ramstein over the years, even as he kept on bagging.

He remembers one kid in particular, the one who now wears four stars.

Gen. David Goldfein, the Air Force chief of staff, bagged for Searchwell in the mid-1970s while he was a teenager living at Ramstein and attending Kaiserslautern High School.

“I remember him very well,” Searchwell said of Goldfein. “He was a very good worker.”

Searchwell also recalls Goldfein because he still sees him on occasion. Even as Goldfein’s career has taken him around the world, he stops to see his old boss any chance he gets.

Goldfein made time to see Searchwell Monday night, on his way back from a whirlwind tour of the Middle East with Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson, a trip that included stops in Afghanistan, Iraq, Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar and Jordan.

A few shoppers looked on with surprise as the Air Force’s top officer gave Searchwell a big hug outside the commissary entrance.

“How did you do all this?” Searchwell asked Goldfein at one point, playfully gesturing toward the four stars on his uniform.

“Because I learned from the best,” Goldfein said. “I always tell people you taught me the three most important lessons: Be professional, be polite and don’t mix the meat with the soap, right? It hasn’t changed.”

Searchwell presented Goldfein the same German treats he always does, Happy Hippos and Ritter Sport chocolates, packaged in a commissary brown bag.

He told Goldfein he plans to keep working as long as his health allows him.

“You’ve got to raise the next generation of generals,” Goldfein said.

“I won’t be around then,” Searchwell replied, with a hearty laugh. “But if you’re going for president, I’ll vote for you. And watch those guys in Congress, OK?”

With the conversation heading towards political hot water, Goldfein said, “Oh, now we’ve got to be careful.”

Searchwell said he wouldn’t get into politics but told Goldfein to “please be careful. I’m amazed at what’s happening.”

Goldfein didn’t talk politics, either. But he said of his trip downrange that he has renewed optimism about the campaign in Iraq after seeing Iraqi security forces begin their offensive to take back the western city of Tal Afar from Islamic State militants.

Responding to a question from a reporter, Goldfein reiterated the message he and the other service chiefs tweeted last week after the violence in Charlottesville, Va., that the military is “stronger together.”

Then it was on into the commissary with Searchwell to work.

Remembering to ask “paper or plastic,” Goldfein bagged a few groceries for an unsuspecting Mitchell Trotter, an Army private first class who works at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center.

“That was crazy,” Trotter said when he found out who Goldfein was. “Any time you meet a four star ... that’s a great experience.”

Goldfein noticed that Trotter had loaded up on ramen noodles.

“He said when he was younger and he biked around Europe, he used to eat them, but he hasn’t eaten them since,” Trotter said with a laugh.

———

©2017 the Stars and Stripes. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

The FBI is treating the recent shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida, as a terrorist attack, several media outlets reported on Sunday.

"We work with the presumption that this was an act of terrorism," USA Today quoted FBI Agent Rachel Rojas as saying at a news conference.

Read More Show Less

WASHINGTON/SEOUL (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Sunday that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un risks losing "everything" if he resumes hostility and his country must denuclearize, after the North said it had carried out a "successful test of great significance."

"Kim Jong Un is too smart and has far too much to lose, everything actually, if he acts in a hostile way. He signed a strong Denuclearization Agreement with me in Singapore," Trump said on Twitter, referring to his first summit with Kim in Singapore in 2018.

"He does not want to void his special relationship with the President of the United States or interfere with the U.S. Presidential Election in November," he said.

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Vaughan Dill/Released)

The three sailors whose lives were cut short by a gunman at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida, on Friday "showed exceptional heroism and bravery in the face of evil," said base commander Navy Capt. Tim Kinsella.

Ensign Joshua Kaleb Watson, Airman Mohammed Sameh Haitham, and Airman Apprentice Cameron Scott Walters were killed in the shooting, the Navy has announced.

Read More Show Less

The Pentagon has a credibility problem that is the result of the White House's scorched earth policy against any criticism. As a result, all statements from senior leaders are suspect.

We're beyond the point of defense officials being unable to say for certain whether a dog is a good boy or girl. Now we're at the point where the Pentagon has spent three days trying to knock down a Wall Street Journal story about possible deployments to the Middle East, and they've failed to persuade either the press or Congress.

The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday that the United States was considering deploying up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East to thwart any potential Iranian attacks. The story made clear that President Trump could ultimately decide to send a smaller number of service members, but defense officials have become fixated on the number 14,000 as if it were the only option on the table.

Read More Show Less

This article originally appeared on Business Insider.

SIMI VALLEY, Calif. – Gen. David Berger, the US Marine Corps commandant, suggested the concerns surrounding a service members' use of questionable Chinese-owned apps like TikTok should be directed against the military's leadership, rather than the individual troops.

Speaking at the Reagan National Defense Forum in Simi Valley, California, on Saturday morning, Berger said the younger generation of troops had a "clearer view" of the technology "than most people give them credit for."

"That said, I'd give us a 'C-minus' or a 'D' in educating the force on the threat of even technology," Berger said. "Because they view it as two pieces of gear, 'I don't see what the big deal is.'"

Read More Show Less