Air Force Grounds Entire B-1B Bomber Fleet Due To Dangerous Ejection Seat Malfunction

Military Tech

The Air Force has grounded its fleet of B-1B Lancers after an ejection seat reportedly malfunctioned on a crippled bomber last month, forcing the pilots to try to land the plane with a blown emergency hatch after one of the aircrew was unable to eject.


An investigation into the May 1 incident found problems with the B-1B fleet’s ejection seat components, prompting then head of Air Force Global Strike Command to order a safety stand-down for all of the bombers on Thursday, officials said.

“As these issues are resolved, aircraft will return to flight,” the command said in a Friday news release, which did not specify when the B-1Bs might resume flight operations.

The worldwide stand down affects B-1Bs supporting U.S. operations in Iraq, Syria, and Afghanistan, but the Air Force has other aircraft that can take on the bombers’ missions while the aircraft are being inspected, an Air Force official told Task & Purpose on Friday.

Related: That Fiery B-1B Lancer Landing In Texas Was Reportedly A Commander’s Worst Nightmare »

On May 1, a B-1B made an emergency landing in Midland County, Texas, after experiencing an inflight emergency. The unofficial Air Force amn/nco/snco Facebook page reported on May 21 that one of the bomber’s crew had tried to eject after an engine fire but his ejection seats malfunctioned. The mission commander decided to try to land the aircraft rather than abandon the crew member.

Pictures posted on the Facebook page showed one of the bomber’s emergency hatches missing and fire damage to the plane’s right side engines. On Friday, a spokeswoman for Global Strike Command declined to say what the investigation into the incident found or if the ejection seat had failed because a safety investigation board is still looking into what happened.

“However, during the safety investigation process an issue with ejection seat components was discovered that necessitated the fleet-wide stand-down,” Maj. Anastasia Schmidt said in an email to Task & Purpose. “The specific findings and recommendations of the SIB are protected by the military safety privilege and are not subject to release.”

A leaked photo of the engines of the B-1B that had an IFE on May 1st 2018amn/nco/snco FB page

Expected to remain in service until the early 2030s, the B-1B is an critical part of the nation’s conventional arsenal. During the April 13 airstrikes against Syria, Lancers launched cruise missiles at their targets from outside Syrian airspace.

But the B-1 fleet has traditionally had low operational readiness rates. In April 2017, Air Force Times reported that only 25 of the Air Force’s 62 Lancers could fly — less than half of the fleet.

Global Strike Command’s decision to ground all B-1Bs comes after the Air Force ordered a safety stand down for all active-duty units last month in the wake of a spike of crashes. On May 3, a WC-130 from the Puerto Rico Air National Guard went down in Georgia, killing nine airmen.

“The day in itself probably won’t solve the problem,” but it “gives them a chance to identify issues that they can elevate up to the MAJCOM [major command] if necessary; that they can raise up to the air staff, if necessary,” Maj. Gen. John Rauch Jr., commander of the Air Force Safety Center, said on May 8.

WATCH NEXT:

An undated image of Hoda Muthana provided by her attorney, Hassan Shibly. (Associated Press)

Attorneys for the Constitutional Law Center for Muslims in America have filed a lawsuit against Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Attorney General William Barr and President Donald Trump asking the court to recognize the citizenship of an Alabama woman who left the U.S. to join ISIS and allow she and her young son to return to the United States.

Read More Show Less
U.S. soldiers surveil the area during a combined joint patrol in Manbij, Syria, November 1, 2018. Picture taken November 1, 2018. (U.S. Army/Zoe Garbarino/Handout via Reuters)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will leave "a small peacekeeping group" of 200 American troops in Syria for a period of time after a U.S. pullout, the White House said on Thursday, as President Donald Trump pulled back from a complete withdrawal.

Read More Show Less
Construction crews staged material needed for the Santa Teresa Border Wall Replacement project near the Santa Teresa Port of Entry. (U.S. Customs and Border Patrol/Mani Albrecht)

With a legal fight challenge mounting from state governments over the Trump administration's use of a national emergency to construct at the U.S.-Mexico border, the president has kicked his push for the barrier into high gear.

On Wednesday, President Trump tweeted a time-lapse video of wall construction in New Mexico; the next day, he proclaimed that "THE WALL IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION RIGHT NOW"

But there's a big problem: The footage, which was filmed more than five months ago on Sep. 18, 2018, isn't really new wall construction at all, and certainly not part of the ongoing construction of "the wall" that Trump has been haggling with Congress over.

Read More Show Less
(From left to right) Chris Osman, Chris McKinley, Kent Kroeker, and Talon Burton

A group comprised of former U.S. military veterans and security contractors who were detained in Haiti on weapons charges has been brought back to the United States and arrested upon landing, The Miami-Herald reported.

The men — five Americans, two Serbs, and one Haitian — were stopped at a Port-au-Prince police checkpoint on Sunday while riding in two vehicles without license plates, according to police. When questioned, the heavily-armed men allegedly told police they were on a "government mission" before being taken into custody.

Read More Show Less
Army Sgt. Jeremy Seals died on Oct. 31, 2018, following a protracted battle with stomach cancer. His widow, Cheryl Seals is mounting a lawsuit alleging that military care providers missed her husband's cancer. Task & Purpose photo illustration by Aaron Provost

The widow of a soldier whose stomach cancer was allegedly overlooked by Army doctors for four years is mounting a medical malpractice lawsuit against the military, but due to a decades-old legal rule known as the Feres Doctrine, her case will likely be dismissed before it ever goes to trial.

Read More Show Less