Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Air Force leader who wrote essay about respecting subordinates fired for disrespecting subordinates
The command chief of the 20th Fighter Wing at Shaw Air Force Base, South Carolina, was removed from his position last month after his chain of command received evidence he disrespected his subordinates.
Col. Derek O'Malley, 20th Fighter Wing commander, relieved Chief Master Sgt. Jason Morehouse from his position Oct. 2, following allegations of unprofessional behavior, wing spokeswoman Capt. Amanda Herman said in an email Tuesday. Air Force Times was first to report Morehouse's removal.
O'Malley received credible evidence that Morehouse "was not treating others with professionalism, kindness and respect; this was confirmed by a subsequent command-directed investigation," Herman said.
Morehouse is not currently performing duties for the 20th and is awaiting reassignment, she said but could not provide additional information due to privacy reasons.
In a commentary piece published on AF.mil last year, Morehouse called for more accountability from leaders shepherding new recruits through the service in order to turn them into effective leaders.
"The front-line supervisor has two jobs: develop subordinates into professional Airmen and develop these professional Airmen to be great at their craft," he wrote.
"How can you use this to benefit the team and positively impact the mission? Give feedback often and set high, but achievable, expectations," Morehouse wrote. "Hold them accountable to these expectations and apply the appropriate corrective actions where and when needed. If nobody is dying, then there is plenty of time to get both sides of the story."
The firing comes a few months after another removal at the 20th Fighter Wing.
Capt. Zoe Kotnik, an F-16 Fighting Falcon demonstration pilot at Shaw, was removed from her post due to "a loss of confidence in her ability to lead and command," officials said at the time.
Wing spokeswoman Capt. Alanna Staver said Kotnik would no longer perform with the demo team "but will continue to serve in a non-supervisory role" in the unit.
This article originally appeared on Military.com
More articles from Military.com:
The FBI is treating the recent shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida, as a terrorist attack, several media outlets reported on Sunday.
"We work with the presumption that this was an act of terrorism," USA Today quoted FBI Agent Rachel Rojas as saying at a news conference.
WASHINGTON/SEOUL (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Sunday that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un risks losing "everything" if he resumes hostility and his country must denuclearize, after the North said it had carried out a "successful test of great significance."
"Kim Jong Un is too smart and has far too much to lose, everything actually, if he acts in a hostile way. He signed a strong Denuclearization Agreement with me in Singapore," Trump said on Twitter, referring to his first summit with Kim in Singapore in 2018.
"He does not want to void his special relationship with the President of the United States or interfere with the U.S. Presidential Election in November," he said.
The three sailors whose lives were cut short by a gunman at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida, on Friday "showed exceptional heroism and bravery in the face of evil," said base commander Navy Capt. Tim Kinsella.
Ensign Joshua Kaleb Watson, Airman Mohammed Sameh Haitham, and Airman Apprentice Cameron Scott Walters were killed in the shooting, the Navy has announced.
The Pentagon’s troop deployment denials means nothing when the White House screams ‘fake news’ all the time
The Pentagon has a credibility problem that is the result of the White House's scorched earth policy against any criticism. As a result, all statements from senior leaders are suspect.
We're beyond the point of defense officials being unable to say for certain whether a dog is a good boy or girl. Now we're at the point where the Pentagon has spent three days trying to knock down a Wall Street Journal story about possible deployments to the Middle East, and they've failed to persuade either the press or Congress.
The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday that the United States was considering deploying up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East to thwart any potential Iranian attacks. The story made clear that President Trump could ultimately decide to send a smaller number of service members, but defense officials have become fixated on the number 14,000 as if it were the only option on the table.
This article originally appeared on Business Insider.
SIMI VALLEY, Calif. – Gen. David Berger, the US Marine Corps commandant, suggested the concerns surrounding a service members' use of questionable Chinese-owned apps like TikTok should be directed against the military's leadership, rather than the individual troops.
Speaking at the Reagan National Defense Forum in Simi Valley, California, on Saturday morning, Berger said the younger generation of troops had a "clearer view" of the technology "than most people give them credit for."
"That said, I'd give us a 'C-minus' or a 'D' in educating the force on the threat of even technology," Berger said. "Because they view it as two pieces of gear, 'I don't see what the big deal is.'"