Air Force Reserve Kicks Out Recruit After Racist Video Surfaces

news
Tabitha Duncan
Snapchat/Facebook

Editor’s Note: This article by Oriana Pawlyk originally appeared on Military.com, the premier source of information for the military and veteran community.


The Air Force Reserve is kicking out a brand-new recruit after a video surfaced earlier this week of her allegedly displaying racist behavior.

"The person noted in a recent inappropriate video is in the process of being released from her enlistment in the Air Force," officials said on the Reserve's official Facebook page Friday. "The video, released days after her enlistment, is intolerable and does not reflect the values of the Air Force."

Officials would not publicly name the recruit, but she has been identified as 20-year-old Tabitha Duncan of Missouri via social media and other media outlets.

On Sunday, a video surfaced showing Duncan and friends saying they were going "[expletive] hunting," using an unprintable slur used to describe African-Americans.

"So we going [expletive] hunting today or what?" someone says in the video. Duncan later responds, "You get them [expletive]."

The video quickly went viral and got the attention of Reserve officials.

Lt. Col. Chad Gibson, a Reserve spokesman, told Air Force Times that Duncan enlisted around May 31.

"We are using command channels to address the issue," officials said on Facebook. "The Air Force culture embraces diversity and fiercely safeguards character, respect, and leadership. We expect our Airmen to adhere to our core values at all times and to treat their fellow Airmen and citizens with the highest degree of dignity and respect."

Duncan this week told The New York Daily News she was sorry and that she had been drinking underage. She clarified she had not been with friends, but with people she "barely knew."

"I was underage drinking, and I said something stupid," she told the newspaper.

The Social Bar & Grill in St. Louis where Duncan worked has also terminated her employment over the "vile, disgusting and offensive video," officials told the Daily News in a statement.

Duncan said she needs to seek help for her lapse in judgment.

"I was intoxicated," she said. "I have black friends, I have black people in my family. I didn't mean it. I didn't know that I was being [recorded]."

This story originally appeared on Military.com

Read more from Military.com

WATCH NEXT:

(National Archives / Marine Corps Photo / WO Obie Newcomb, Jr., November 1943)

The DNA of a niece and nephew, who never met their uncle, has helped identify the remains of the Kansas Marine who died in WWII.

The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency announced that 21-year-old U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Pfc. Raymond Warren was identified using DNA and circumstantial evidence. Warren had been buried in a cemetery in the Gilbert Islands, where he was killed when U.S. forces tried to take secure one of the islands from the Japanese.

The Battle of Tarawa lasted from Nov. 20 to Nov. 23, 1943, and claimed the lives of 1,021 U.S. marines and sailors, more than 3,000 Japanese soldiers and an estimated 1,000 Korean laborers before the U.S. troops seized control, the agency said.

Read More
(U.S. Air Force photo by Staff. Sgt. Daniel Snider)

Arizona lawmakers are vowing to fight a plan by the Air Force to start retiring some of the nation's fleet of A-10 Thunderbolt II ground-attack jets — a major operation at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base — as part of a plan to drop some older, legacy weapon systems to help pay for new programs.

U.S. Sen. Martha McSally, R-Ariz., a former A-10 pilot, and U.S. Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick, D-Ariz., both vowed to fight the move to retire 44 of the oldest A-10s starting this year.

During a press briefing last week, Air Force officials unveiled plans to start mothballing several older platforms, including retiring some A-10s even as it refits others with new wings.

Read More

MOSCOW/SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea, whose leader Kim Jong Un was filmed riding through the snow on a white stallion last year, has spent tens of thousands of dollars on 12 purebred horses from Russia, according to Russian customs data.

Accompanied by senior North Korean figures, Kim took two well-publicized rides on the snowy slopes of the sacred Paektu Mountain in October and December.

State media heralded the jaunts as important displays of strength in the face of international pressure and the photos of Kim astride a galloping white steed were seen around the world.

North Korea has a long history of buying pricey horses from Russia and customs data first reported by Seoul-based NK News suggests that North Korea may have bolstered its herd in October.

Read More
Screenshot of a propaganda video featuring former Pakistani Taliban spokesman Ehsanullah Ehsan

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - A high-profile local Taliban figure who announced and justified the 2012 attack on teenage Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai has escaped detention, Pakistan's interior minister confirmed a few days after the militant announced his breakout on social media.

Former Pakistani Taliban spokesman Ehsanullah Ehsan, who claimed responsibility on behalf of his group for scores of Taliban attacks, proclaimed his escape on Twitter and then in an audio message sent to Pakistani media earlier this month.

The Pakistani military, which had kept Ehsan in detention for three years, has declined to comment but, asked by reporters about the report, Interior Minister Ijaz Shah, said: "That is correct, that is correct."

Shah, a retired brigadier general, added that "you will hear good news" in response to questions about whether there had been progress in hunting down Ehsan.

Read More
A member of the Taliban holds a flag in Kabul, Afghanistan June 16, 2018. The writing on the flag reads: 'There is no god but Allah, Muhammad is the messenger of Allah'. (Reuters/Mohammad Ismail)

The 7-day "reduction in violence" negotiated between the United States and the Taliban is set to begin on Feb. 22, an Afghan government official who spoke on condition of anonymity told Task & Purpose on Monday.

A temporary truce beginning on Saturday that would last for one week is seen as a crucial test between the Taliban, U.S., and Afghan governments that would prove all parties to a potential peace deal can control their forces. Defense Secretary Mark Esper declined to confirm the date on Sunday.

"That is a moving date because we are still doing consultations, if you will," Defense Secretary Mark Esper told reporters.

Read More