Air Force dramatically scales back Selective Retention Bonus

Military Benefits
60 Seconds Of 105mm Rounds

Editor's Note: This article by Oriana Pawlyk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The U.S. Air Force has whittled down its list of specialties eligible for the fiscal 2020 Selective Retention Bonus program, reversing previous expansions.

According to a recent news release, the Air Force said it can issue bonuses to 72 specialties in undermanned careers such as maintenance, cyber, space, nuclear and various support jobs.


"We get this might not be what some folks were hoping for this year, but we've looked at it from all angles and this is what our experts are telling us is the right decision," Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force Kaleth O. Wright said in the release. "When you look at it from an enterprise perspective, you can see that, while not every career field gets a bonus, this is the right move to set our team up for success in the future."

Officials said nearly 40 Air Force Specialty Codes were removed from the list. By comparison, airmen in 117 career fields were eligible to receive the bonus in early 2016.

The number of eligible jobs had been higher over the last few years following sequestration in an effort to keep airmen in the service longer, especially those in undermanned career fields or those with high training costs.

The service said it will spend more than $150 million for the fiscal 2020 program; 68 specialty codes remain on the list from the 2019 program, with four aircraft maintenance and cyber security jobs added, according to the release.

"Based on past efforts and the growth we've enjoyed the last few years, our manning levels are better than we've been in a while," said Lt. Gen. Brian Kelly, the Air Force Manpower, Personnel and Services deputy chief of staff. "Even so, we still have shortages and will continue to strategically use the Selective Retention Bonus program for those AFSCs that are most in need."

Wright added, "We've used this program to balance career fields across the force for many years. We'll continue to use bonuses where needed to make sure that our critical career fields are manned in order to meet mission requirements."

Airmen can find the specialty code list and more information about the program on the personnel center's website. The 2020 program goes into effect Nov. 21.

"Airmen in skills identified for a reduction or termination, and who are currently eligible to reenlist, will have until Dec. 20 to take advantage of the bonus at the previous rate," the release states.

This article originally appeared on Military.com

More articles from Military.com:

Newport News Police Chief Steve Drew becomes emotional while speaking about officer Katie Thyne during a press conference Friday morning Jan. 24, 2020 in Newport News, Va. Officer Thyne died Thursday night after being dragged during a traffic stop. (Daily Press/Jonathon Gruenke via Tribune News Service)

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. — The police officer killed during a traffic stop in Newport News on Thursday night was a well-liked young officer who just graduated from the police academy seven months ago, Police Chief Steve Drew said at a somber news conference Friday.

Read More
Calvin Cooper (Facebook via Albuquerque Journal)

The airman who struck and killed a woman with his car last year near Kirtland Air Force Base is now headed to trial and facing possible prison time in the incident.

Read More
Audie Murphy (U.S. Army photo)

Editor's note: a version of this post first appeared in 2018

On January 26, 1945, the most decorated U.S. service member of World War II earned his legacy in a fiery fashion.

Read More
A military funeral at Fort Jackson National Cemetery in 2014. Photo: Sgt. 1st Class Joel Quebec/U.S. Army

A U.S. soldier died on Friday while in Syria supporting Operation Inherent Resolve, the Defense Department announced on Saturday.

Read More
DoD photo

A word that could once not be mentioned in court — torture — was front and center on Friday as a military tribunal prepares to take on the long-delayed trial of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the confessed chief plotter of the 9/11 attacks, and four other defendants.

"I know torture's a dirty word," defense attorney Walter Ruiz told the tribunal. "I'll tell you what, judge, I'm not going to sanitize this for their concerns."

Read More