Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
More Families Are Suing The Air Force For Negligence In The 2017 Texas Church Shooting
Two additional families who lost loved ones in the Sutherland Springs massacre last year are suing the U.S. Air Force for negligence, doubling the number of legal challenges the government is facing over the mass shooting.
The Johnson and McNulty families filed their lawsuits this week. The Air Force admitted it failed to report veteran Devin P. Kelley's past crimes to the federal database, the suits state, which allowed him to pass a background check and obtain the firearms he used in the shooting.
These two families filed negligence claims earlier this year and then were required to give the government six months to try to respond. Attorney Jamal Alsaffar said his clients got "nothing more than a cursory response" in that time, so they decided to sue once the deadline hit.
"The government has done nothing, literally nothing, to resolve the claims or help the families," Alsaffar told The Dallas Morning News on Thursday. "That's why we had to fill the lawsuits because there was no effort made."
On Nov. 5, Kelley shot and killed 26 parishioners — including a pregnant woman — who were attending Sunday services at the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs. Among the victims were Tara McNulty, 33, a mother of two, and Sara, 68, and Dennis Johnson, Sr., 77.
Two other families sued the federal government earlier this year. Margarette Vidal, who survived after being shot in the knee and next to her spine, and Joe and Claryce Holcombe, who lost nine family members in the massacre. Their lawsuits have been consolidated, a step Alsaffar expects all of the families to eventually take.
Due to the doctrine of sovereign immunity, it's usually almost impossible to sue the federal government. But under the Federal Tort Claims Act, people can seek damages in limited cases if they can prove direct negligence on the part of the government.
Kelley, an Air Force veteran, had a history of violence and mental illness. He received a bad-conduct discharge in 2014 after he was convicted of beating his first wife and assaulting his stepson, and had escaped two years earlier from a mental facility where he was admitted after threatening to kill his superior officers. Normally, these incidents would have landed Kelley on the FBI's criminal database and kept him from legally owning guns.
But the Air Force said failed to report his crimes, allowing Kelley to pass two background checks before he purchased the Ruger AR-556 he used in the shooting.
In their lawsuit filed Wednesday, Dennis and Sara Johnson's children claim the government's admitted failures entitles them to damages for pain and suffering, mental anguish, mental health care expenses, past and future lost income and earning capacity and funeral costs.
There is no dollar figure named in the lawsuit.
Several other victims of the shooting are also suing Academy Sports + Outdoors, where the shooter purchased his firearm. Kelley bought a Ruger and at least one high-capacity magazine there in violation of Colorado law, where he was a legal resident at the time, the lawsuit alleges.
©2018 The Dallas Morning News. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
WASHINGTON/RIYADH (Reuters) - President Donald Trump imposed new U.S. sanctions onIran on Monday following Tehran's downing of an unmanned American drone and said the measures would target Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
Trump told reporters he was signing an executive order for the sanctions amid tensions between the United States and Iran that have grown since May, when Washington ordered all countries to halt imports of Iranian oil.
Trump also said the sanctions would have been imposed regardless of the incident over the drone. He said the supreme leaders was ultimately responsible for what Trump called "the hostile conduct of the regime."
"Sanctions imposed through the executive order ... will deny the Supreme Leader and the Supreme Leader's office, and those closely affiliated with him and the office, access to key financial resources and support," Trump said.
While it can be difficult to peg down just how star-spangled a state is, one indicator is the rate at which citizens enlist in the military, especially during the United States' longest period of sustained conflict. At least, that's the thinking behind WalletHub's new study, 2019's Most Patriotic States in America.
Trump's 'red flags' on Mattis included 'controversial statements' and alleged leniency on war crimes
President Donald Trump may have loved to call former Secretary of Defense James Mattis by his much-loathed "Mad Dog" nickname, but his own transition team had concerns regarding the former Marine general's infamous battlefield missives and his lackluster handling of alleged war crimes committed by U.S. service members, according to leaked vetting documents.
Beloved readers: It's been a rough week inside the Five-Sided Fun House as it looked like the United States and Iran were on a collision course until President Donald Trump aborted planned air and missile strikes at the eleventh hour.
As your beleaguered friend and narrator writes this, the Pentagon has not scheduled any briefings about how close the U.S. military was to attacking Iran, or even if those strikes have been called off or are on hold.
It would be nice to know whether we are at war or not. One would think the headquarters of the U.S. military would be a good place to find out. But the Trump administration has one spokesman: the president himself. His tweets have replaced Pentagon's briefings as the primary source for military news.
Trump passed on Petraeus for top White House positions over 'red flags' like his opposition to torture, according to leaked documents
Former Army Gen. David Petraeus, the former commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan who resigned in disgrace as CIA director amid revelations of an extramarital affairs, was passed over by then-president-elect Donald Trump's transition team because of his criticism of torture, according to leaked vetting documents.