Military personnel stationed at Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery, Alabama, would be wise to steer clear of The Shack Bar and Grill.
Col. Eric Shafa, 42nd Air Base Wing commander at Maxwell, declared The Shack “off limits” for all active duty, reserve, and National Guard personnel on May 24, making it the first establishment in the area to be blacklisted by the service, according to the Montgomery Advertiser.
"I have received credible information from local law enforcement that the following establishment (The Shack) presents conditions that adversely affect the health, safety, welfare, morale and good order and discipline of active-duty military personnel assigned to Maxwell," Shafa said in a memo to all base personnel.
The proclamation came just days after a double-shooting in the parking lot of the bar, about 7 miles off base. The suspected shooter has since been arrested; it’s unclear at this time if either of the victims, one of whom was injured critically, were service members.
The Shack will remain off-limits pending a review by the regional Armed Forces Disciplinary Control Board. Until and unless the board changes that determination, the bar is also banned for all service members covered in the region. That includes personnel from the following bases: Fort Benning, Georgia; Warner Robins Air Force Base, Georgia; the U.S. Naval Reserve Center in Columbus, Georgia; and the Marine Corps Logistics Base, Albany, Georgia.
Any service members at Maxwell or in the larger area who enter or visit the bar will be subject to disciplinary action.
Former Marine Commandant Gen. Charles Krulak has issued a statement urging President Donald Trump and members of Congress to oppose pardons for those accused or convicted of war crimes since, he argued, it would "relinquish the United States' moral high ground."
"If President Trump follows through on reports that he will mark Memorial Day by pardoning individuals accused or convicted of war crimes, he will betray these ideals and undermine decades of precedent in American military justice that has contributed to making our country's fighting forces the envy of the world," said Krulak, who served in the Marine Corps for more than three decades before retiring in 1999 as the 31st Commandant.
Editor's Note: The following story highlights a veteran atAssociated Materials. Committed to including talented members of the military community in its workplace, Associated Materials Incorporated is a client of Hirepurpose, a Task & Purpose sister company. Learn more here.
Associated Materials, a residential and commercial siding and window manufacturer based in Ohio, employs people from a variety of backgrounds. The company gives them an opportunity to work hard and grow within the organization. For Tim Betsinger, Elizabeth Dennis, and Tanika Carroll, all military veterans with wide-ranging experience, Associated Materials has provided a work environment similar to the military and a company culture that feels more like family than work.
President Donald Trump will nominate Barbara Barrett to serve as the next Air Force secretary, the president announced on Tuesday.
"I am pleased to announce my nomination of Barbara Barrett of Arizona, and former Chairman of the Aerospace Corporation, to be the next Secretary of the Air Force," Trump tweeted. "She will be an outstanding Secretary! #FlyFightWin"
The Trump administration is trying to assure Congress that it does not want to start a war with Iran, but some lawmakers who fought in Iraq are not so sure.
Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford both briefed Congress on Tuesday about Iran. Shanahan told reporters earlier on Tuesday that the U.S. military buildup in the region has stopped Iran and its proxies from attacking U.S. forces, but the crisis is not yet over.
"We've put on hold the potential for attacks on Americans," Shanahan said. "That doesn't mean that the threats that we've previously identified have gone away. Our prudent response, I think, has given the Iranians time to recalculate. I think our response was a measure of our will and our resolve that we will protect our people and our interests in the region."
U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Brian M. Wilbur/Handout via REUTERS
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump warned on Monday Iran would be met with "great force" if it attacked U.S. interests in the Middle East, and government sources said Washington strongly suspects Shi'ite militias with ties to Tehran were behind a rocket attack in Baghdad's Green Zone.
"I think Iran would be making a very big mistake if they did anything," Trump told reporters as he left the White House on Monday evening for an event in Pennsylvania. "If they do something, it will be met with great force but we have no indication that they will."