Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Airman Who Thwarted French Train Attack Stabbed In California
France train hero, Airman 1st Class Spencer Stone, was stabbed four times in the chest early in the morning on Oct. 8, while in Sacramento, California. Stone is one of three Americans who helped thwart a terror attack aboard a Paris-bound train on Aug. 21, when an armed gunman boarded the train while it was stopped in Belgium.
According to a report by Sacramento’s local NBC news affiliate, the stabbing happened around 12:45 am and the victim suffered "multiple stab wounds to the torso” outside of a bar at 21st and K Streets.
"It is believed that the victim was out with a group of friends when a physical altercation led to the victim being stabbed multiple times in his upper body," a news release from the Sacramento police says, as reported by Air Force Times. "Detectives were called to the scene to assist with the investigation and the victim is currently being treated for what appears to be non-life threatening injuries."
“A1C Spencer Stone has been transported to a local hospital, and is currently being treated for injury," said Air Force spokesman Lt. Col. Christopher Karns, in an email to Air Force Times. "The incident is currently under investigation by local law enforcement. He is currently in stable condition.”
According to a tweet from the Sacramento police, "The assault incident is not related to a terrorist act. Assault occurred near a bar, alcohol is believed to be a factor."
As of this morning, no arrests had been made in the stabbing.
UPDATE (10/8/2015; 2:00 pm)
In a press conference Thursday afternoon, Sacramento Deputy Police Chief Ken Bernard said two suspects fled the scene following the assault. The suspects are described as two adult, Asian men in white t-shirts and blue jeans. The suspects left the scene in a 2009-2012 dark gray or black Toyota Camry. Bernard reiterated that the stabbing was believed to be related to a nightclub incident and not a terrorist attack or hate crime. He also confirmed that Stone was stabbed more than once with a single weapon resulting in serious injury, but he remains in stable condition.
UPDATE (10/8/2015; 4:00 pm)
Below, surveillance footage from a liquor store on 21st Street published by ABC 10 News allegedly shows Stone involved in a fight before he is stabbed in Midtown Sacramento.
GENEVA/DUBAI (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said he was prepared to take military action to stop Tehran from getting a nuclear bomb but left open whether he would back the use of force to protect Gulf oil supplies that Washington fears may be under threat by Iran.
Worries about a confrontation between Iran and the United States have mounted since attacks last week on two oil tankers near the strategic Strait of Hormuz shipping lane at the entrance to the Gulf. Washington blamed long-time foe Iran for the incidents.
Tehran denies responsibility but the attacks, and similar ones in May, have further soured relations that have plummeted since Trump pulled the United States out of a landmark international nuclear deal with Iran in May 2018.
Trump has restored and extended U.S. economic sanctions on Iran. That has forced countries around the world to boycott Iranian oil or face sanctions of their own.
But in an interview with Time magazine, Trump, striking a different tone from some Republican lawmakers who have urged a military approach to Iran, said last week's tanker attacks in the Gulf of Oman had only a "very minor" impact so far.
Asked if he would consider military action to prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons or to ensure the free flow of oil through the Gulf, Trump said: "I would certainly go over nuclear weapons and I would keep the other a question mark."
Minnesota Democratic Party staffer under fire for calling USS Minneapolis-Saint Paul a 'murder boat'
Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz said Tuesday he is appalled by a state DFL Party staff member's tweet referring to the recently-launched USS Minneapolis-Saint Paul as a "murder boat."
"Certainly, the disrespect shown is beyond the pale," said Walz, who served in the Army National Guard.
William Davis, who has been the DFL Party's research director and deputy communications director, made the controversial comment in response to a tweet about the launch of a new Navy combat ship in Wisconsin: "But actually, I think it's gross they're using the name of our fine cities for a murder boat," Davis wrote on Twitter over the weekend.
'We are there to deter aggression' — Pompeo addressed CENTCOM on Iran mere moments before Shanahan announced his departure
TAMPA — Minutes before the Acting Secretary of Defense withdrew Tuesday from his confirmation process, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo spoke at MacDill Air Force Base about the need to coordinate "diplomatic and defense efforts'' to address rising tensions with Iran.
Pompeo, who arrived in Tampa on Monday, met with Marine Gen. Kenneth McKenzie Jr. and Army Gen. Richard Clarke, commanders of U.S. Central Command and U.S. Special Operations Command respectively, to align the Government's efforts in the Middle East, according to Central Command.
NAVAL BASE SAN DIEGO — The trial of Navy SEAL Chief Eddie Gallagher officially kicked off on Tuesday with the completion of jury selection, opening statements, and witness testimony indicating that drinking alcohol on the front lines of Mosul, Iraq in 2017 seemed to be a common occurrence for members of SEAL Team 7 Alpha Platoon.
Government prosecutors characterized Gallagher as a knife-wielding murderer who not only killed a wounded ISIS fighter but shot indiscriminately at innocent civilians, while the defense argued that those allegations were falsehoods spread by Gallagher's angry subordinates, with attorney Tim Parlatore telling the jury that "this trial is not about murder. It's about mutiny."
President Donald Trump announced on Tuesday that Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan will "not to go forward with his confirmation process."
Trump said that Army Secretary Mark Esper will now serve as acting defense secretary.