Airman’s Death In Guam Ruled A Homicide; Fellow Airman In Custody

news

The March 27 death of an airman in Guam has been ruled a homicide, according to the Air Force Office of Special Investigations.


Airman 1st Class Bradley Hale was pronounced dead in temporary lodging at Andersen Air Force Base. Hale, 20, had deployed to Guam from Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana. He joined the Air Force on March 8, 2016, and became an electronic warfare journeyman with the 2nd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron.

An unarmed airman was taken into custody after a knife was found at the scene, OSI spokeswoman Linda Card told Task & Purpose. The airman is being held in pretrial confinement at Andersen Air Force Base on suspicion of murder or manslaughter but has not been charged, she said.

“We cannot release any information on any subject unless he or she has been legally charged with a crime through the legal process,” Card said in an email. “OSI does not charge anyone, they investigate. The subject's relationship to Hale will be determined during the investigative process.”

Card said she could not provide any details on how Hale died because the Air Force Medical Examiner’s report cannot be released until the investigation into his death is complete.

The security forces airmen who first responded on March 27, “saw a lot of blood at the scene and what appeared to be a stab wound on the victim,” Card told Task & Purpose on March 28.

“This tragedy is a terrible and saddening loss. I extend my deepest condolences to Airman Hale’s family, friends and fellow airmen,” Col. Ty Neuman, 2nd Bomb Wing commander, said in a March 29 statement. “We will miss him as part of our Air Force family.”

Saudi air force Second Lt. Mohammed Saeed al-Shamrani (NBC News)

The Saudi military officer who shot and killed 3 people at Naval Air Station Pensacola on Friday reportedly hosted a "dinner party" the night before the attack "to watch videos of mass shootings," the Associated Press reports, citing an unnamed U.S. official.

Read More Show Less
Soldiers from the 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) hold folded flags before military funeral honors. (U.S. Army/Elizabeth Fraser)

The Minnesota National Guard has released the names of the three soldiers killed in Thursday's helicopter crash.

Read More Show Less
Joshua Kaleb Watson (Facebook via Business Insider)

Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.

Joshua Kaleb Watson has been identified as one of the victims of a shooting at the Naval Air Station Pensacola, CBS News reported.

The 23-year-old Alabama native and Naval Academy graduate was named to the Academy's prestigious Commandant's and Dean's lists, and also competed on the rifle team, Alabama's WTVY reported.

Read More Show Less
The main gate at Naval Air Station Pensacola is seen on Navy Boulevard in Pensacola, Florida, U.S. March 16, 2016. Picture taken March 16, 2016. (U.S. Navy/Patrick Nichols/Handout via Reuters)

Editor's Note: This article by Richard Sisk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The Navy pledged Friday to find ways to upgrade security procedures and prevent future attacks following two shootings and a fatal gate runner incident at naval bases in Virginia, Hawaii and Florida in the last week.

Defense Secretary Mark Esper also announced he is "considering several steps to ensure the security of our military installations and the safety of our service members and their families," although he did not give details.

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Army/Staff Sgt. Jamarius Fortson)

The Navy has identified the two Defense Department civilians who were killed in a shooting Wednesday at the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard in Hawaii.

Read More Show Less