A soldier was killed, and another injured, after a Humvee roll-over on Friday in Alaska's Yukon Training Area, the Army announced on Monday.
25-year-old Spc. Marquise Gabriel Elliot — from Charlotte, North Carolina and serving with B Battery, 2nd Battalion, 377th Parachute Field Artillery Regiment — was treated at the scene for injuries, and pronounced dead after being transported to Fairbanks Memorial Hospital.
The other soldier sustained injuries to his lower extremities but has since returned to duty.
"Spc. Elliott was a gifted and intelligent paratrooper," 2-377th PFAR's commander, Lt. Col. Tobias Bennett, said in the Army's press release. "His reserved and thoughtful demeanor, disciplined work ethic, and commitment to his fellow paratroopers endeared him to all fortunate enough to share time with him."
Elliot previously deployed to Afghanistan with the 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division from September 2017 to May 2018. He was awarded the Army Commendation Medal, Army Achievement Medal, Army Good Conduct Medal, and more.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. military on Sunday accused a Venezuelan fighter aircraft of "aggressively" shadowing a U.S. Navy EP-3 Aries II plane over international airspace, in yet another sign of the increasing hostility between the two nations.
The encounter between the U.S. and Venezuelan planes occurred on Friday, the same day that the Trump administration announced it was sanctioning four top officials in Venezuela's military counterintelligence agency.
In this March 12, 2016, file photo, Marines of the U.S., left, and South Korea, wearing blue headbands on their helmets, take positions after landing on a beach during the joint military combined amphibious exercise, called Ssangyong, part of the Key Resolve and Foal Eagle military exercises, in Pohang, South Korea. (Associated Press/Yonhap/Kim Jun-bum)
Joint U.S.-South Korean military exercises scheduled for next month are going ahead, a top Seoul official said Saturday, despite a threat by North Korea to boycott working-level talks with Washington and possibly restart nuclear and longer-range missile tests.
(Reuters) - A former National Security Agency contractor was sentenced in Maryland to nine years in prison on Friday for stealing huge amounts of classified material from U.S. intelligence agencies over two decades though officials never found proof he shared it with anyone.