Troops are withdrawing from the US-Mexico border. Not the Arizona National Guard

news
Dept. of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen visits the San Luis II Commercial Port of Entry in Arizona. During Secretary Nielsen's visit she met with the Governor of Arizona, Doug Ducey and members from the National Guard. Secretary Nielsen toured the Border Wall between the United States and Mexico near the port. (U.S. Customs and Border Protection/Mani Albrecht)

While National Guard troops sent to the border are withdrawing in other states, Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey says those here will remain.


"Arizona's National Guard members continue to serve as a force multiplier along our border -- surging more badges to the border in the face of continued threats from drug smugglers and human traffickers," Ducey's spokeman Patrick Ptak said in an email. "The governor appreciates their continued efforts to protect the safety and security of our communities."

The Arizona National Guard has about 600 soldiers and airmen serving in Operation Guardian Support. That's in addition to about 650 active-duty troops also assisting Customs and Border Protection -- down from the 1,500 originally deployed in the beginning of November.

On Monday, California Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, announced he was pulling back most of the state's National Guard troops on the border.

"This whole thing is the theater of the absurd and California has had enough," he said, according to The Associated Press.

Newsom said he still plans to allow 100 of about 360 state troops deployed to keep working with CBP because he recognizes some are doing good work fighting drug crimes, according to the AP.

"I'm trying to acknowledge there are some legitimate concerns but I'm not going to play into the hype and the politics," he told reporters.

His announcement followed a decision by New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham, also a Democrat, to withdraw most of that state's troops.

On Feb. 5, Lujan Grisham said about a dozen of the 118 troops would remain to assist with humanitarian needs in a remote corridor where a lot of families are turning themselves in to Border Patrol agents.

"New Mexico will not take part in the president's charade of border fear-mongering by misusing our diligent National Guard troops," Lujan Grisham said.

Defense Secretary James Mattis on April 8 authorized up to 4,000 National Guard troops to deploy to the U.S. border with Mexico to support CBP. The mission, officials said during a press conference in Nogales in May, was to get more agents and officers on the ground.

That day, they showed reporters troops helping care for horses and working on vehicles. Others were tasked with aviation missions and surveillance.

Across the U.S.-Mexico border, the projected cost of the National Guard deployment is $550 million through the fiscal year, Department of Defense officials said at a Jan. 29 congressional hearing. That's in addition to the $132 million that has been spent on active-duty military on the border so far. Officials said they couldn't estimate the full fiscal year cost yet.

There are about 2,300 active-duty troops currently deployed, down from 5,900. Last month, the Pentagon announced it was going to send an additional 3,500 to the border.

———

©2019 The Arizona Daily Star (Tucson, Ariz.). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

SEE ALSO: A Timeline Of The National Guard's Deployment To The US-Mexico Border Under Trump

WATCH NEXT: The Reality Of A Border Deployment

No motive is yet known for last week's Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard shooting tragedy, which appears to have been a random act of violence in which the sailor who fatally shot two civilian workers and himself did not know them and did not plan his actions ahead of time, shipyard commander Capt. Greg Burton said in an "All Hands" message sent out Friday.

Machinist's Mate Auxiliary Fireman Gabriel Antonio Romero of San Antonio, an armed watch-stander on the attack submarine USS Columbia, shot three civilian workers Dec. 4 and then turned a gun on himself while the sub rested in dry dock 2 for a major overhaul, the Navy said.

"The investigation continues, but there is currently no known motive and no information to indicate the sailor knew any of the victims," Burton said.

Read More Show Less
A projectile is fired during North Korea's missile tests in this undated picture released by North Korea's Central News Agency (KCNA) on November 28, 2019. (KCNA via Reuters)

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea said it had successfully conducted another test at a satellite launch site, the latest in a string of developments aimed at "restraining and overpowering the nuclear threat of the U.S.", state news agency KCNA reported on Saturday.

The test was conducted on Friday at the Sohae satellite launch site, KCNA said, citing a spokesman for North Korea's Academy of Defence Science, without specifying what sort of testing occurred.

Read More Show Less

Since the Washington Post first published the "Afghanistan papers," I have been reminded of a scene from "Apocalypse Now Redux" in which Army Col. Walter Kurtz reads to the soldier assigned to kill him two Time magazine articles showing how the American people had been lied to about Vietnam by both the Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon administrations.

In one of the articles, a British counterinsurgency expert tells Nixon that "things felt much better and smelled much better" during his visit to Vietnam.

"How do they smell to you, soldier?" Kurtz asks.

Read More Show Less
Erik Prince arrives for the New York Young Republican Club Gala at The Yale Club of New York City in Manhattan in New York City, New York, U.S., November 7, 2019. (REUTERS/Jeenah Moon)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Erik Prince, the controversial private security executive and prominent supporter of U.S. President Donald Trump, made a secret visit to Venezuela last month and met Vice President Delcy Rodriguez, one of socialist leader Nicolas Maduro's closest and most outspoken allies, according to five sources familiar with the matter.

Read More Show Less
Soldiers with 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, walk in what could be mistaken for another planet. Kandahar, Afghanistan, Dec. 25, 2011 (Army photo/Sgt. Ruth Pagan)

(Reuters Health) - While army suicides have historically decreased during wartime, that trend appears to have reversed in recent decades, a new study of U.S. records finds.

Researchers poring over nearly 200 years of data found that unlike earlier times when there was a decline in suicide rates among U.S. Army soldiers during and just after wars, the rate has risen significantly since 2004, according to the report in JAMA Network Open.

Read More Show Less