Armored Brigade Heads To Korea As Tensions With North Escalate

news
Soldiers from Alpha Battery, 1st Battalion, 82nd Field Artillery Regiment, 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, participate in a load exercise directed by the 210th Field Artillery Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division Sept. 20.
U.S. Army photo by 2nd Lt. Gabriel Jenko.

The Army announced Wednesday that a brigade of Fort Riley soldiers began a nine-month deployment to South Korea as officials from that country met with their U.S. counterparts in Washington over growing tensions with North Korea.


The 1st Armored Brigade, 1st Infantry Division at Fort Riley in Kansas is sending 3,500 soldiers to replace a brigade from the 1st Cavalry Division from Fort Hood in Texas, according the Army news release.

Many of the soldiers have already arrived at Camp Casey in South Korea, near the demilitarized zone, with the rest to arrive in the coming days and weeks, Lt. Col. Kimeisha McCullum, a 1st Infantry Division spokeswoman, said Wednesday.

The regular nine-month rotation announcement comes as Defense Secretary Ash Carter and State Secretary John Kerry met their South Korean counterparts in Washington this week for annual defense talks and to discuss the looming threat of North Korean aggression.

A missile launch by North Korea on Saturday ended in failure as a Musudan rocket, capable of delivering a nuclear warhead, imploded after takeoff. The missile has the capability of reaching the U.S. territory of Guam.

“We strongly condemn this and North Korea’s other recent missile tests, which violate U.N. Security Council Resolutions explicitly prohibiting North Korea’s launches using ballistic missile technology,” Navy Cmdr. Gary Ross, a Pentagon spokesman, said after the launch was announced.

Related: North Korea Whines About US Troops Making Faces At Its Border Guards »

“Our commitment to the defense of our allies, including the Republic of Korea and Japan, in the face of these threats, is ironclad. We remain prepared to defend ourselves and our allies from any attack or provocation,” he added.

Talks on Thursday between the United States and South Korea are expected to include plans on deploying THAAD anti-ballistic missiles to South Korea, Stars and Stripes reported Wednesday.

The rotational nine-month deployments to South Korea are designed to maintain U.S. troops there as budget cuts make it more difficult to keep units abroad. The U.S. troops will partner with South Korean military units for armed exercises and training, McCullum said.

———

© 2016 the Stars and Stripes. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

(U.S. Army/Pfc. Hubert D. Delany III)

Two U.S. military service members were killed in Afghanistan on Wednesday, the Resolute Support mission announced in a press release.

Their identities are being withheld pending notification of next of kin, the command added.

A total of 16 U.S. troops have died in Afghanistan so far in 2019. Fourteen of those service members have died in combat including two service members killed in an apparent insider attack on July 29.

Two U.S. troops in Afghanistan have been killed in non-combat incidents and a sailor from the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln was declared dead after falling overboard while the ship was supporting operations in Afghanistan.

At least two defense contractors have also been killed in Afghanistan. One was a Navy veteran and the other had served in the Army.

Sylvester Stallone is back as John Rambo. Why? Because nothing is (ever) over with this guy.

Read More Show Less
Popular Mobilization Forces fighters wave flags in this June 2016 photo. (Wikimedia Commons/Tasnim News Agency)

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraq's paramilitary groups on Wednesday blamed a series of recent blasts at their weapons depots and bases on the United States and Israel.

The statement from the Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF), the umbrella grouping of Iraq's mostly Shi'ite Muslim paramilitary groups, many of which are backed by Iran, said the United States had allowed four Israeli drones to enter the region accompanying U.S. forces and carry out missions on Iraqi territory.

Read More Show Less
Lake County Sheriff's Department

A U.S. Marine reservist has been charged with felony kidnapping, stalking, and criminal confinement after he allegedly kidnapped a 16-year-old Indiana girl and brought her to Arkansas.

Alexander Martin Curry-Fishtorn, 22, was charged Tuesday in Indiana's Lake Superior Court with 17 felonies and four misdemeanors, according to The Chicago Tribune. On Aug. 16, Fishtorn allegedly kidnapped the girl and drove her to a friend's house in Arkansas with an apparent plan to hold her there until she was 18, ABC 7 reported.

Read More Show Less
Robert Morris Levy (Associated Press/Washington County Sheriff's Department)

A former doctor at an Arkansas Veteran Affairs hospital was charged Tuesday with involuntary manslaughter in the deaths of three veterans to whom he allegedly provided false diagnoses.

Read More Show Less