Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Hey Soldiers, Get Your Paperwork In Or You Could Lose Out On Your BAH
The Army’s new regulations regarding basic allowance for housing paperwork, meant to crack down on fraud, could end up screwing thousands of soldiers out of additional BAH funds for dependents, a branch spokesman told Military.com on Aug. 31.
An Aug. 16 memo from Army Deputy Assistant Secretary For Manpower And Reserve Affairs Raymond Horoho, first obtained and published by Army W.T.F! Moments on Aug. 30, set a hard deadline of 60 days for active-duty soldiers to supply the branch with missing paperwork affirming the existence of their dependents in order to keep their additional BAH funds allocated to service members
Requests for missing paperwork aren’t unusual: Army Times notes that the branch made a similar request of some 140,000 soldiers who lacked complete documentation in 2016. When confirming the authenticity of the memo to both Army Times and Military.com, Army spokesman Lt. Col. Randy Taylor told the latter that there are currently around 60,000 soldiers at risk of losing their extra BAH funds due to incomplete applications.
In addition, the memo calls for annual resubmissions of important paperwork, with a second 90-day grace period to adjust their BAH levels accordingly in the Army’s Personnel Electronic Records Management System. That means marriage licenses, birth certificates, and even alimony agreements — anything that proves a soldier’s paycheck is not entirely his or her own.
A soldier’s failure to upgrade paperwork will result not just in a reversion of BAH funds to the level appropriate for a single, unattached individual, but likely trigger a fraud investigation by the Army Criminal Investigation Command, the branch says that any potential criminal investigations will be conducted “at the local level based upon the facts involved on a case-by-case basis,” Taylor told Army Times.
Here’s to paperwork: the cause, and solution to, all of life’s problems.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Friday that no U.S. troops will take part in enforcing the so-called safe zone in northern Syria and the United States "is continuing our deliberate withdrawal from northeastern Syria."
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan earlier on Friday said Turkey will set up a dozen observation posts across northeast Syria, insisting that a planned "safe zone" will extend much further than U.S. officials said was covered under a fragile ceasefire deal.
On Tuesday at the Association of the U.S. Army's annual conference, Army families had the opportunity to tell senior leaders exactly what was going on in their worlds — an opportunity that is, unfortunately, all too rare.
A new documentary series about Clint Lorance pits the infantry officer convicted of murder against his former soldiers
The fog of war, just kills, and war crimes are the focus of a new documentary series coming to STARZ. Titled Leavenworth, the six-part series profiles 1st Lt. Clint Lorance, the Army infantry officer who was convicted on murder charges for ordering his soldiers to fire on three unarmed Afghan men on a motorcycle, killing two and wounding the third, while deployed to the Zhari district in Kandahar province, on July 2, 2012.
A big stereotype surrounding U.S. service members and veterans is that they are defined only by their military service, from buying "Dysfunctional Veteran" t-shirts to playing hard-boiled, high-octane first-person shooters like Battlefield and Call of Duty (we honestly have no idea where anyone could get that impression).
But the folks at OSD (formerly called Operation Supply Drop), a non-profit veteran service organization that aims to help troops and vets connect with each other through free video games, service programs and other activities, recently found that most of the gamers they've served actually prefer less military-centric fare like sports games and fantasy RPGs.
CEYLANPINAR, Turkey (Reuters) - Shelling could be heard at the Syrian-Turkish border on Friday morning despite a five-day ceasefire agreed between Turkey and the United States, and Washington said the deal covered only a small part of the territory Ankara aims to seize.
Reuters journalists at the border heard machine-gun fire and shelling and saw smoke rising from the Syrian border battlefield city of Ras al Ain, although the sounds of fighting had subsided by mid-morning.
The truce, announced on Thursday by U.S. Vice President Mike Pence after talks in Ankara with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, sets out a five-day pause to let the Kurdish-led SDF militia withdraw from an area controlled by Turkish forces.
The SDF said air and artillery attacks continued to target its positions and civilian targets in Ral al Ain.
"Turkey is violating the ceasefire agreement by continuing to attack the town since last night," SDF spokesman Mustafa Bali tweeted.
The Kurdish-led administration in the area said Turkish truce violations in Ras al Ain had caused casualties, without giving details.