Army identifies decorated Green Beret killed in Afghanistan

Sgt. 1st Class Michael James Goble. (U.S. Army)

Editor's Note: This article by Hope Hodge Seck originally appeared on, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

A seasoned Army noncommissioned officer was killed in Afghanistan Monday on his eighth deployment, the service announced.

Sgt. 1st Class Michael James Goble, 33, was killed in an attack for which the Taliban claimed credit, in Afghanistan's Kunduz province, to the north. He was assigned to 1st Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne), Eglin Air Force Base, Florida.

Goble, of Westwood Township, N.J., entered the Army in 2004 and earned his Green Beret in 2007. His many deployments included missions in Argentina, Guatemala, Colombia and South Korea, as well as two previous deployments to Afghanistan, according to information provided by U.S. Army Special Operations Command.

His training and proficiencies include Special Forces Sniper Course, Basic and Advanced Military Freefall Course, Military Freefall Advanced Tactical Insertion Course, Joint Armorer Course, Survive, Evade, Resist and Escape Course, Special Forces Intelligence Sergeant Course, Special Operations Force Surveillance Operator, Special Warfare Network Development, Advanced Special Operations Techniques -- Level III Course, Special Forces Advanced Urban Combat Course and Special Warfare Operational Design Course, officials said.

Goble was a recipient of the Bronze Star (3 subsequent awards) and Army Commendation Medal with combat "V" device.

"Sgt. 1st Class Goble was more than just a member of the 7th Special Forces Group, he was a brother to us, and a beloved family member to the Northwest Florida community." Col. John W. Sannes, 7th SFG (A) commander, said in a statement. "We will honor our brother's sacrifice and provide the best possible care to his family. We ask that you keep his family and teammates in your thoughts and prayers."

Defense Department officials say the attack that killed Goble remains under investigation.

A Taliban spokesman announced the death of a U.S. service member earlier Monday, saying he had been killed by a roadside bomb emplaced by insurgents.

Goble is the 20th U.S. service member to die in Afghanistan this year, underscoring what has been what has been the most deadly year of the conflict since the announced end of conventional war operations in 2014.

This article originally appeared on

More articles from

Roughly a dozen U.S. troops showing concussion-related symptoms are being medically evacuated from Al-Asad Air Base in Iraq to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, a defense official told Task & Purpose on Tuesday.

Read More

In a Galaxy — err, I mean, on a military base far, far away, soldiers are standing in solidarity with galactic freedom fighters.

Sitting at the top of an Army press release from March 2019, regarding the East Africa Response Force's deployment to Gabon, the photo seems, at first glance, just like any other: Soldiers on the move.

But if you look closer at the top right, you'll find something spectacular: A Rebel Alliance flag.

Read More
The maiden flight of the first CMV-22B Osprey took place in Amarillo, Texas (Courtesy photo)

The first of the CMV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft the Navy plans on adopting as its carrier onboard delivery (COD) aircraft of choice has successfully completed its first flight operations, manufacturer Boeing announced on Tuesday.

Read More
A soldier plugs his ears during a live fire mission at Yakima Training Center. Photo: Capt. Leslie Reed/U.S. Army

Another 300 lawsuits against 3M flooded federal courts this month as more military veterans accuse the behemoth manufacturer of knowingly making defective earplugs that caused vets to lose hearing during combat in Iraq or Afghanistan or while training on U.S. military bases.

On another front, 3M also is fighting lawsuits related to a class of chemicals known as PFAS, with the state of Michigan filing a lawsuit last week against the Maplewood-based company.

To date, nearly 2,000 U.S. veterans from Minnesota to California and Texas have filed more than 1,000 lawsuits.

Read More

GENEVA (Reuters) - North Korea said on Tuesday it was no longer bound by commitments to halt nuclear and missile testing, blaming the United States' failure to meet a year-end deadline for nuclear talks and "brutal and inhumane" U.S. sanctions.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un set an end-December deadline for denuclearization talks with the United States and White House national security adviser Robert O'Brien said at the time the United States had opened channels of communication.

O'Brien said then he hoped Kim would follow through on denuclearization commitments he made at summits with U.S. President Donald Trump.

Read More