Army Identifies Two Soldiers Killed in Fort Bliss Stryker Vehicle Crash

news
Cpl. Cole Trevor Wixom, 24, and Pfc. Jamie R. Riley, 21, died when two Stryker vehicles reportedly crashed into each other at the McGregor Range Training Complex, New Mexico. (U.S. Army)

Editor's Note: This article by Hope Hodge Seck originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The Army has identified two soldiers killed in a tragic vehicle crash during training on Tuesday.


Cpl. Cole Trevor Wixom, 24, and Pfc. Jamie R. Riley, 21, died when two Stryker vehicles reportedly crashed into each other Tuesday evening at the McGregor Range Training Complex, New Mexico. Both of them belonged to 1st Battalion, 36th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade, 1st Armored Division out of Fort Bliss, Texas.

The Stryker is an eight-wheeled armored fighting vehicle that can hold up to 9 passengers. Seven other soldiers were reportedly injured in the crash.

"It is with an incredibly heavy heart that we announce the unfortunate loss of two of our Ready First Soldiers and injuries to several others in a tragic event that occurred Tuesday evening," Col. Michael J. Trotter, commander of the 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, said in a released statement. "We honor them by remembering their selfless service to the U.S. Army and the nation. Our sincere condolences go to the families of Cpl. Wixom, Pfc. Riley and their Ready First teammates."

According to releases, Wixom was a native of Bloomingdale, Mich., and an infantryman. He had joined the Army in August 2016 and deployed once to Afghanistan from January to September 2017.

Riley, a native of Fair Haven, N.J., was a cavalry scout who had joined the Army in January 2018 and arrived at Fort Bliss in June.

"On behalf of the entire 1st Armored Division and Team Bliss family, we extend our condolences to the families of both Soldiers," Fort Bliss officials said in a statement. "We have lost two members of our family."

This article originally appeared on Military.com

More articles from Military.com:

SEE ALSO: It Took The Army 4 Years To Field The JLTV. It Took Soldiers 4 Days To Total One

WATCH NEXT: Stinger On Stryker Demonstration

Roughly a dozen U.S. troops showing concussion-related symptoms are being medically evacuated from Al-Asad Air Base in Iraq to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, a defense official told Task & Purpose on Tuesday.

Read More

In a Galaxy — err, I mean, on a military base far, far away, soldiers are standing in solidarity with galactic freedom fighters.

Sitting at the top of an Army press release from March 2019, regarding the East Africa Response Force's deployment to Gabon, the photo seems, at first glance, just like any other: Soldiers on the move.

But if you look closer at the top right, you'll find something spectacular: A Rebel Alliance flag.

Read More
The maiden flight of the first CMV-22B Osprey took place in Amarillo, Texas (Courtesy photo)

The first of the CMV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft the Navy plans on adopting as its carrier onboard delivery (COD) aircraft of choice has successfully completed its first flight operations, manufacturer Boeing announced on Tuesday.

Read More
A soldier plugs his ears during a live fire mission at Yakima Training Center. Photo: Capt. Leslie Reed/U.S. Army

Another 300 lawsuits against 3M flooded federal courts this month as more military veterans accuse the behemoth manufacturer of knowingly making defective earplugs that caused vets to lose hearing during combat in Iraq or Afghanistan or while training on U.S. military bases.

On another front, 3M also is fighting lawsuits related to a class of chemicals known as PFAS, with the state of Michigan filing a lawsuit last week against the Maplewood-based company.

To date, nearly 2,000 U.S. veterans from Minnesota to California and Texas have filed more than 1,000 lawsuits.

Read More

GENEVA (Reuters) - North Korea said on Tuesday it was no longer bound by commitments to halt nuclear and missile testing, blaming the United States' failure to meet a year-end deadline for nuclear talks and "brutal and inhumane" U.S. sanctions.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un set an end-December deadline for denuclearization talks with the United States and White House national security adviser Robert O'Brien said at the time the United States had opened channels of communication.

O'Brien said then he hoped Kim would follow through on denuclearization commitments he made at summits with U.S. President Donald Trump.

Read More