The Army Is Finally Cutting Dads A Break With More Parental Leave

news
Army Spc. Kwele Jones, a Soldier with the 449th Theater Aviation Brigade, kisses his baby after his unit's deployment ceremony. Photo: Sgt. Jamar Pugh/ U.S. National Guard

The Army is finally joining the 21st century — in parental care, at least.

A new memo that went into effect last week will recognize either parent as the main caretaker of the child, not just the mother, and it more than doubles the time available to the other parent.


The main change here is that the Army is now splitting 12 weeks of maternity leave into two separate forms of parental leave: six weeks for a soldier immediately after giving birth, and another six weeks that can be taken at any other time in the first year post-birth.

In most cases, that'll mean a soldier having a baby will immediately take six weeks off, then another six weeks whenever she wants during the first year of her kiddo's life if she's the primary caregiver. But if her partner is the main caretaker, that soldier can take the additional six weeks of leave.

Secondary caregiver leave — which was previously assumed to be paternity leave but is now for either parent — has jumped from 10 to 21 days, and can be taken within the first year instead of the previously-required 45 days after birth.

Under the old policy, only one parent of an adopted child was given 21 days of absence. Now, both the primary and secondary parents are allowed six- and three-week leave. The new policy also recognizes unmarried parents, unlike the old policy, because hello — it's 2019, not 1919.

The new policy is retroactive to Dec. 23, 2016, per the Army Times, so parents who have had kids since and are still within the approved timeframes can take advantage of the new policy.

The other services all changed their policies in June 2018, Military.com reports. But hey, better late than never, right?

SEE ALSO: 10 Military Skills That Make Service Members Amazing Parents

WATCH: 2nd SFAB Live Fire Training

The top leaders of a Japan-based Marine Corps F/A-18D Hornet squadron were fired after an investigation into a deadly mid-air collision last December found that poor training and an "unprofessional command climate" contributed to the crash that left six Marines dead, officials announced on Monday.

Five Marines aboard a KC-130J Super Hercules and one Marine onboard an F/A-18D Hornet were killed in the Dec. 6, 2018 collision that took place about 200 miles off the Japanese coast. Another Marine aviator who was in the Hornet survived.

Read More Show Less

A former Army soldier was sentenced to 18 months in prison on Thursday for stealing weapons from Fort Bliss, along with other charges.

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Air Force photo illustration/Airman 1st Class Corey Hook)

Editor's Note: This article by Richard Sisk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The Department of Veterans Affairs released an alarming report Friday showing that at least 60,000 veterans died by suicide between 2008 and 2017, with little sign that the crisis is abating despite suicide prevention being the VA's top priority.

Although the total population of veterans declined by 18% during that span of years, more than 6,000 veterans died by suicide annually, according to the VA's 2019 National Veteran Suicide Prevention Annual Report.

Read More Show Less
President Donald Trump speaks during an event with Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison at Pratt Industries, Sunday, Sept 22, 2019, in Wapakoneta, Ohio. (Associated Press/Evan Vucci)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Sunday that he discussed Democratic presidential hopeful Joe Biden and his son in a call with Ukraine's president.

Trump's statement to reporters about his July 25 call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky came as the Democratic leader of a key congressional panel said the pursuit of Trump's impeachment may be the "only remedy" to the situation.

Read More Show Less
"It's kind of like the equivalent of dropping a soda can into canyon and putting on a blindfold and going and finding it, because you can't just look down and see it," diver Jeff Goodreau said of finding the wreck.

The USS Eagle 56 was only five miles off the coast of Maine when it exploded.

The World War I-era patrol boat split in half, then slipped beneath the surface of the North Atlantic. The Eagle 56 had been carrying a crew of 62. Rescuers pulled 13 survivors from the water that day. It was April 23, 1945, just two weeks before the surrender of Nazi Germany.

The U.S. Navy classified the disaster as an accident, attributing the sinking to a blast in the boiler room. In 2001, that ruling was changed to reflect the sinking as a deliberate act of war, perpetuated by German submarine U-853, a u-boat belonging to Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine.

Still, despite the Navy's effort to clarify the circumstances surrounding the sinking, the Eagle 56 lingered as a mystery. The ship had sunk relatively close to shore, but efforts to locate the wreck were futile for decades. No one could find the Eagle 56, a small patrol ship that had come so close to making it back home.

Then, a group of friends and amateur divers decided to try to find the wreck in 2014. After years of fruitless dives and intensive research, New England-based Nomad Exploration Team successfully located the Eagle 56 in June 2018.

Business Insider spoke to two crew members — meat truck driver Jeff Goodreau and Massachusetts Department of Corrections officer Donald Ferrara — about their discovery.

Read More Show Less