The Army is actively cooperating with law enforcement in Washington state as they continue their investigation into a newly minted Ranger's alleged gruesome murder and mutilation of a woman in a motel outside Seattle in July, just before he fired on two parked vehicles and fatally shot himself, Stars and Stripes reports.
Pvt. Krishna Mahadevan-Prasad, a 20-year-old soldier assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, reportedly spent just three minutes on July 24th killing and mutilating a 38-year-old woman in a Renton, Washington, motel room, according to surveillance footage viewed by The Seattle Times.
A timeline put together by law enforcement indicates that after exiting the motel room, Mahadevan-Prasad walked through a parking lot before opening fire with a rifle and shotgun on two parked cars waiting at the nearby Hood Canal bridge. He narrowly missed the two drivers and two sleeping children, ages 5 and 6, before shooting himself at the entrance to the bridge.
“We are aware of the incident that occurred July 24th, 2018 in the vicinity of Hood Canal Bridge, and are cooperating with the Washington State Patrol who maintain lead in this investigation,” U.S. Army Special Operations Command spokesman Lt. Col. Robert Bockholt told Stars and Stripes on Tuesday.
According to local law enforcement, Mahadevan-Prasad had only been at Joint Base Lewis-McChord for two weeks; he'd completed his One Station Unit Training, Basic Airborne Course, and Ranger Assessment and Selection Program 1 at Fort Benning, Georgia, earlier that month after joining the Army in September 2017.
The grisly details of what exactly happened in that motel room are not public, but according to Stripes, investigators suspect that Mahadevan-Prasad "may have committed other acts of violence" in the past based on what detectives found when they arrived on the scene.
U.S. soldiers surveil the area during a combined joint patrol in Manbij, Syria, November 1, 2018. Picture taken November 1, 2018. (U.S. Army/Zoe Garbarino/Handout via Reuters)
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will leave "a small peacekeeping group" of 200 American troops in Syria for a period of time after a U.S. pullout, the White House said on Thursday, as President Donald Trump pulled back from a complete withdrawal.
Construction crews staged material needed for the Santa Teresa Border Wall Replacement project near the Santa Teresa Port of Entry. (U.S. Customs and Border Patrol/Mani Albrecht)
With a legal fight challenge mounting from state governments over the Trump administration's use of a national emergency to construct at the U.S.-Mexico border, the president has kicked his push for the barrier into high gear.
On Wednesday, President Trump tweeted a time-lapse video of wall construction in New Mexico; the next day, he proclaimed that "THE WALL IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION RIGHT NOW"
But there's a big problem: The footage, which was filmed more than five months ago on Sep. 18, 2018, isn't really new wall construction at all, and certainly not part of the ongoing construction of "the wall" that Trump has been haggling with Congress over.
(From left to right) Chris Osman, Chris McKinley, Kent Kroeker, and Talon Burton
A group comprised of former U.S. military veterans and security contractors who were detained in Haiti on weapons charges has been brought back to the United States and arrested upon landing, The Miami-Herald reported.
The men — five Americans, two Serbs, and one Haitian — were stopped at a Port-au-Prince police checkpoint on Sunday while riding in two vehicles without license plates, according to police. When questioned, the heavily-armed men allegedly told police they were on a "government mission" before being taken into custody.
Army Sgt. Jeremy Seals died on Oct. 31, 2018, following a protracted battle with stomach cancer. His widow, Cheryl Seals is mounting a lawsuit alleging that military care providers missed her husband's cancer. Task & Purpose photo illustration by Aaron Provost
The widow of a soldier whose stomach cancer was allegedly overlooked by Army doctors for four years is mounting a medical malpractice lawsuit against the military, but due to a decades-old legal rule known as the Feres Doctrine, her case will likely be dismissed before it ever goes to trial.
The first grenade core was accidentally discovered on Nov. 28, 2018, by Virginia Department of Historic Resources staff examining relics recovered from the Betsy, a British ship scuttled during the last major battle of the Revolutionary War. The grenade's iron jacket had dissolved, but its core of black powder remained potent. Within a month or so, more than two dozen were found. (Virginia Department of Historic Resources via The Virginian-Pilot)
In an uh-oh episode of historic proportions, hand grenades from the last major battle of the Revolutionary War recently and repeatedly scrambled bomb squads in Virginia's capital city.
Wait – they had hand grenades in the Revolutionary War? Indeed. Hollow iron balls, filled with black powder, outfitted with a fuse, then lit and thrown.
And more than two dozen have been sitting in cardboard boxes at the Department of Historic Resources, undetected for 30 years.