Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
We salute the Army recruit who got his first haircut in 15 years before shipping out to basic training
A 23-year-old California native received his first haircut in 15 years to enlist in the U.S. Army.
U.S. Army Pvt. Reynaldo Arroyo of Riverside donated 150 inches of hair to Locks of Love and enlisted in the Army as an infantryman on Thursday.
"I'm just really excited to be enlisting in the U.S. Army," Arroyo said in a Facebook video. "Hopefully, some lucky little girl's going to get it."
Locks of Love is a non-profit organization that donates hair to disadvantaged people with long-term medical conditions resulting in hair loss, such as cancer and severe burns.
U.S. Army Recruit Pvt. Reynaldo Arroyo holds up his donation bag containing his hair (U.S. Army)
Arroyo is scheduled to ship out to Ft. Benning, home of the Army's infantry school, within the next two weeks, a U.S. Army spokesperson told INSIDER.
But Arroyo will not be sporting his fresh haircut for long.
Upon arriving at Ft. Benning, he is expected to receive a buzz cut like all the other male recruits. After graduating and at his commander's discretion, he may grow out his hair again, so long as it remains "neat and conservative," according to Army regulations.
Read more from Business Insider:
- Army lieutenant accused of taking an armored vehicle on a low-speed police chase found not guilty by reason of insanity
- People are mocking China for celebrating its 'incredibly strong' soldiers with a video showing them run through an obstacle course
- Heart-pounding video shows a badass Coast Guardsman running down a narco-sub loaded with cocaine and pounding on the hatch
- A new underwater memorial honors U.S. military veterans and serves as an artificial reef to preserve marine life
- Service members who deployed to the U.S.-Mexico border will be getting a medal that says 'In Pursuit Of Democracy'
Once again, the United States and the Taliban are apparently close to striking a peace deal. Such a peace agreement has been rumored to be in the works longer than the latest "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" sequel. (The difference is Keanu Reeves has fewer f**ks to give than U.S. Special Representative for Afghanistan Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad.)
Both sides appeared to be close to reaching an agreement in September until the Taliban took credit for an attack that killed Army Sgt. 1st Class Elis A. Barreto Ortiz, of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division. That prompted President Donald Trump to angrily cancel a planned summit with the Taliban that had been scheduled to take place at Camp David, Maryland, on Sept. 8.
Now Taliban spokesman Suhail Shaheen has told a Pakistani newspaper that he is "optimistic" that the Taliban could reach an agreement with U.S. negotiators by the end of January.
75 years ago, Audie Murphy earned his Medal of Honor with nothing but a burning tank destroyer's .50 cal and insane bravery
Editor's note: a version of this post first appeared in 2018
On January 26, 1945, the most decorated U.S. service member of World War II earned his legacy in a fiery fashion.
Florida senators are pushing for Purple Hearts for service members wounded in the NAS Pensacola shooting
Florida's two senators are pushing the Defense Department to award Purple Hearts to the U.S. service members wounded in the December shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola.
The Navy Department is in the middle of a new force-structure review, which could change the number and types of ships the sea services say they'll need to fight future conflicts. But instead of trying to project what they will need three decades out, which has been the case in past assessments, acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said the services will take a shorter view.
"I don't know what the threat's going to be 30 years from now, but if we're building a force structure for 30 years from now, I would suggest we're probably not building the right one," he said Friday at a National Defense Industrial Association event.
The Navy completed its last force-structure assessment in 2016. That 30-year plan called for a 355-ship fleet.
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. — The police officer killed during a traffic stop in Newport News on Thursday night was a well-liked young officer who just graduated from the police academy seven months ago, Police Chief Steve Drew said at a somber news conference Friday.