The Army is investigating how a 19-year-old diagnosed with autism was recruited

news

a U.S. Army recruit is instructed by a drill sergeant at Fort Jackson.

AP Photo/Gerry Broome

The Army is investigating a situation surrounding a 19-year-old's recruitment, including claims that his recruiter encouraged him to hide his autism diagnosis.

First reported by Army Times, Garrison Horsley and his father allege that an Army recruiter "encouraged him to hide potentially disqualifying factors in order to enlist as a human resources specialist." Horsley has high-functioning autism and congenital arm disorder that limits the movement in his left arm, Army Times reports; he was also being treated for "a mild episode of recurrent depressive disorder."


According to the initial Army Times report "applicants with autism spectrum disorders are automatically disqualified, per Defense Department accession policy, though sometimes medical enlistment waivers are granted after a visit to a DoD behavioral health consultant."

Lisa Ferguson, Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) spokeswoman, told Army Times that waivers are "considered on a case-by-case basis," but that autism "isn't something normally waived if the diagnosis was appropriately given." Horsely said he received a waiver for his arm disorder, which leaves his left arm 50% weaker than his right.

Horsley said he was contacted by an Army recruiter from Twin Falls, Idaho — Staff Sgt. Jeffrey Gaunya — earlier this year, according to text messages received by Army Times. In the text messages, Horsley tells the number that identifies itself as Gaunya that he doesn't know if he's "even able to join," because he was turned down by the Navy because he has Aspergers Syndrome.

"Does that disqualify me from the Army?" Horsley says in the text messages.

"Hey man just give me a call when you can," Gaunya appears to respond.

Kelli Bland, a spokeswoman for USAREC, told Task & Purpose that it's not uncommon for recruiters to want to move conversations about personal details out of texting, and discuss it over the phone.

"Recruiters are trained to prevent the disclosure of personally identifiable information," Bland said. "This means having conversations about an applicant's personal history over the phone or in person rather than over unsecure channels, such as texting and social media."

In August, Horsley reported for basic training camp at Fort Jackson, South Carolina. He got through medical screenings — he said doctors at Military Entrance Processing Command never brought up his Aspergers diagnosis or the anxiety medication he was taking, "even though it was documented in his civilian medical records," per Army Times.

Horsley says he kept everything to himself, until the "moment of truth," when recruits have their last opportunity to disclose anything they hadn't disclosed earlier. That's what he told officials that he was having anxiety attacks.

"They were just yelling and I was panicking," Horsley told Army Times. "When we went to the moment of truth, I told them I have anxiety and they just kind of laughed in my face."

His father told Army Times that he should have been more vocally opposed to his son's enlistment, but "could not understand why they were allowing it to proceed."

Ferguson confirmed to Task & Purpose that USAREC "has initiated an inquiry into this matter." Army Times reports that Ferguson said "appropriate action will be taken when all facts are known."

Editor's note: This story has been updated to include comment from USAREC spokeswoman Kelli Bland.

Seven of the twelve Soldiers participating in the Army National Guard Military Funeral Honors Level 2 course at Fort Indiantown Gap practice folding the flag April 25. (U.S. Army National Guard photo by Staff Sgt. Zane Craig)

Retired Army Master Sgt. Mark Allen has died 10 years after he was shot in the head while searching for deserter Pvt. Bowe Bergdahl in Afghanistan.

Allen died on Saturday at the age of 46, according to funeral information posted online.

Read More Show Less

For U.S. service members who have fought alongside the Kurds, President Donald Trump's decision to approve repositioning U.S. forces in Syria ahead of Turkey's invasion is a naked betrayal of valued allies.

"I am ashamed for the first time in my career," one unnamed special operator told Fox News Jennifer Griffin.

In a Twitter thread that went viral, Griffin wrote the soldier told her the Kurds were continuing to support the United States by guarding tens of thousands of ISIS prisoners even though Turkey had nullified an arrangement under which U.S. and Turkish troops were conducting joint patrols in northeastern Syria to allow the Kurdish People's Protection Units, or YPG, to withdraw.

"The Kurds are sticking by us," the soldier told Griffin. "No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."

Read More Show Less
Defense Secretary Mark Esper (Associated Press photo)

Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Sunday he and the Pentagon will comply with House Democrats' impeachment inquiry subpoena, but it'll be on their own schedule.

"We will do everything we can to cooperate with the Congress," Esper said on CBS' "Face the Nation." "Just in the last week or two, my general counsel sent out a note — as we typically do in these situations — to ensure documents are retained."

Read More Show Less

Most of the U.S. troops in Syria are being moved out of the country as Turkish forces and their Arab allies push further into Kurdish territory than originally expected, Task & Purpose has learned.

Roughly 1,000 U.S. troops are withdrawing from Syria, leaving a residual force of between 100 and 150 service members at the Al Tanf garrison, a U.S. official said.

"I spoke with the president last night after discussions with the rest of the national security team and he directed that we begin a deliberate withdrawal of forces from northern Syria," Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Sunday's edition of CBS News' "Face the Nation."'

Read More Show Less

BEIRUT/ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Women affiliated with Islamic State and their children fled en masse from a camp where they were being held in northern Syria on Sunday after shelling by Turkish forces in a five-day-old offensive, the region's Kurdish-led administration said.

Turkey's cross-border attack in northern Syria against Kurdish forces widened to target the town of Suluk which was hit by Ankara's Syrian rebel allies. There were conflicting accounts on the outcome of the fighting.

Turkey is facing threats of possible sanctions from the United States unless it calls off the incursion. Two of its NATO allies, Germany and France, have said they are halting weapons exports to Turkey. The Arab League has denounced the operation.

Read More Show Less