Army Reinstates Foreign-Born Recruits As It Reviews How To Kick Them Out Again

Bullet Points
U.S. Army photo / Staff Sgt. Matthew Keeler.

The Army has rescinded the discharges of more than 30 soldiers recruited under a now-defunct program that offered citizenship to immigrants with special skills, but this may only be a delay in their eventual separations, a Pentagon official told Task & Purpose.


  • In response to a lawsuit filed by Brazilian immigrant Luis Calixto, whose discharge has been suspended, a Defense Department attorney wrote in court papers that the service has reinstated 32 people to the Delayed Training Program and revoked discharges for six other members of the now defunct Military Accessions Vital to National Interests (MAVNI) program.
  • Discharges for a total of 149 MAVNI recruits are on hold while the Army conducts a review of the separation process, according to the court papers, which were first highlighted by the Associated Press on Tuesday.
  • From 2008 until it was suspended in 2016, the MAVNI program recruited more than 10,000 immigrants with critical skills – such as doctors and nurses – who spoke Russian, Chinese, and other strategically important languages. It was formally ended in 2017 after defense officials determined it was vulnerable to insider threats.
  • The Defense Department refused to confirm any of the numbers cited in the Army’s court filings. Security screening for MAVNI recruits continues, said Air Force Maj. Carla Gleason, a Pentagon spokeswoman.
  • So far, background checks have revealed that one MAVNI recruit supported the terrorists who carried out the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and vowed to help China, Gleason said. Others have falsified transcripts or joined the military after receiving bogus visas to attend non-existent universities
  • “If a background investigation reveals information that disqualifies a particular MAVNI recruit from military service, then that recruit, like any other recruit with a similar disqualification, is either released from his or her enlistment contract or is separated from his or her respective service, “ Gleason said in a statement. “Since 2013, more than 20 individuals who accessed via the MAVNI program have become the subjects of DoD and/or FBI counterintelligence and/or criminal investigations.”

WATCH NEXT:

Navy SEAL Lt. Jacob "Jake" Portier will be arraigned Tuesday in San Diego for allegedly failing to report war crimes committed by a fellow SEAL and other related offenses.

Read More Show Less

President Donald Trump hit back at House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Thursday with a letter saying he was "sorry to inform" her that her trip to Brussels, Belgium and Afghanistan would be canceled due to the government shutdown, just one day after Pelosi proposed cancelling the State of the Union address for similar reasons.

Read More Show Less
Marine Corps drill instructor R. Lee Ermey in his iconic role in 'Full Metal Jacket' (Warner Bros.)

Retired Marine Staff Sgt. R. Lee Ermey, the legendary Marine drill instructor turned iconic Full Metal Jacket actor who died last year, will be formally laid to rest with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery at 10 a.m. on Jan. 18, according to the cemetery's web site.

Read More Show Less
John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum/IMDB

John Wick doesn't give a fuck. He doesn't care about the rules of fancy hotels. He doesn't care about the odds, considering he's always outnumbered and always ends up the last man standing.

And he definitely doesn't give a damn about traffic laws, made apparent in the new trailer for John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum.

Read More Show Less