Army SOF Tosses Androids For Shiny New iPhones

Gear
U.S. Soldiers in the 228th Signal Brigade, S.C. Army National Guard, inspect 800 MHz radios and satellite phones for wrecker teams if needed to support response efforts for snow expected to impact the upstate, Greenville, S.C. Feb. 25, 2015.
Army National Guard photo by Staff Sgt. Roby Di Giovine

As the Apple-Android phone debate continues unresolved among civilians, Army Special Operations Command has chosen a side: iPhone.


Now, special operations forces will be upgrading from Android tactical smartphone for an iPhone 6S model called the iTAC, or iPhone Tactical Assault Kit.

The problem with the Android, according to an anonymous Army source cited by Military.com, is that it’s glitchy and often has to be restarted.

In high-stress operations typically carried out by special operations forces, it’s not conducive to your lose your means of intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance. The minutes lost while rebooting the Android can be critical to mission success.

The source also stated that the new iPhone  is “faster; smoother. Android freezes up.”

The new phones will be added to the Army’s Nett Warrior battlefield situational awareness tool. Specifically, the special forces iTAC will be connected to a Harris AN/PRC 152A radio.

This is significant because the PRC-152A allows operators to automatically move across different waveforms to talk to units in other services, whereas the the formerly used Rifleman Radio was only a one-way communications device.

Photo: US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia

A former sailor who was busted buying firearms with his military discount and then reselling some of them to criminals is proving to be a wealth of information for federal investigators.

Julio Pino used his iPhone to record most, if not all, of his sales, court documents said. He even went so far as to review the buyers' driver's license on camera.

It is unclear how many of Pino's customer's now face criminal charges of their own. Federal indictments generally don't provide that level of detail and Assistant U.S. Attorney William B. Jackson declined to comment.

Read More Show Less
Photo illustration by Paul Szoldra/Task & Purpose

It all began with a medical check.

Carson Thomas, a healthy and fit 20-year-old infantryman who had joined the Army after a brief stint in college, figured he should tell the medics about the pain in his groin he had been feeling. It was Feb. 12, 2012, and the senior medic looked him over and decided to send him to sick call at the base hospital.

It seemed almost routine, something the Army doctors would be able to diagnose and fix so he could get back to being a grunt.

Now looking back on what happened some seven years later, it was anything but routine.

Read More Show Less
U.S. Army Cpt. Katrina Hopkins and Chief Warrant Officer 2 James Rogers, assigned to Task Force Warhorse, pilot a UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter during a medical evacuation (MEDEVAC) operation at Camp Taji, Iraq, Dec. 18, 2018. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Javion Siders)

U.S. forces must now ask the Iraqi military for permission to fly in Iraqi airspace before coming to the aid of U.S. troops under fire, a top military spokesman said.

However, the mandatory approval process is not expected to slow down the time it takes the U.S. military to launch close air support and casualty evacuation missions for troops in the middle of a fight, said Army Col. James Rawlinson, a spokesman for Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve.

Read More Show Less
Army Spc. Clayton James Horne

Army Spc. Clayton James Horne died in Saudi Arabia on Aug. 17, making him the eighth non-combat fatality for Operation Inherent Resolve so far this year, defense officials have announced.

Horne, 23, was assigned to the 351st Military Police Company, 160th Military Police Battalion, an Army Reserve unit based in Ocala, Florida, a Pentagon news release says.

Read More Show Less
Joshua Yabut/Twitter

The soldier who was arrested for taking an armored personnel carrier on a slow-speed police chase through Virginia has been found not guilty by reason of insanity on two charges, according to The Richmond-Times Dispatch.

Joshua Phillip Yabut, 30, entered a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle — in this case, a 12-ton APC taken from Fort Pickett in June 2018 — and violating the terms of his bond, which stemmed from a trip to Iraq he took in March 2019 (which was not a military deployment).

Read More Show Less