Army special operations soldier killed in Fort Polk training accident

news
Staff Sgt. Jacob Hess. Photo courtesy of 1st Special Forces Command.

A training accident at Fort Polk on Wednesday resulted in the death of one Army Special Operations Command soldier and the injury of 12 others, the Army announced.


Staff Sgt. Jacob Hess of the 97th Civil Affairs Battalion, 95th Civil Affairs Brigade (Special Operations) out of Fort Bragg was killed due to injuries sustained in the accident, which involved "a humvee rollover," Fort Polk spokeswoman Kim Reischling said on Thursday.

The cause of the accident is currently being investigated.

"Jacob's character and professionalism display his dedication and service to the brigade and its mission," Col. Charles Burnett, commander of the 95th Civil Affairs Brigade, said in a statement provided by 1st Special Forces Command. "He will be greatly missed by those who had the great fortune and opportunity to know him."

The other 12 soldiers involved in the accident "sustained non-life threatening injuries," 1st Special Forces Command said. They were assigned to the 95th, the 7th Special Forces Group, and 72nd Military Police Company, Nevada Army National Guard.

Hess enlisted in the Army Reserves in 2004. He deployed twice in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom with the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, once from 2007-2008, and again from 2009-2010.

While with the 97th Civil Affairs Battalion, Hess participated in Joint Combined Exchange Training in South Korea and Indonesia."

He was awarded the Army Commendation Medal, Army Achievement Medal, Meritorious Unit Citation, and several others. Hess was also posthumously awarded the Meritorious Service Medal.

This is the second fatal rollover incident in a week. Marine 1st Lt. Hugh McDowell, 24, was killed at Camp Pendleton on May 9th.

SEE ALSO: More US Service Members Die Training Than At War. Can The Pentagon Change That?

The Army is working on developing an alternate fitness test for soldiers with permanent injuries that prevent them from completing the new Army Combat Fitness Test.

Read More Show Less

John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum only came out on May 17, but the titular hitman is already gearing up to lay siege to theaters in 2021.

On Monday, Lionsgate announced to fans in a cryptic text message that, "You have served. You will be of service. John Wick: Chapter 4 is coming May 21, 2021," according to Polygon.

Read More Show Less

In a scathing letter, a top Navy legal official on Sunday expressed "grave ethical concerns" over revelations that government prosecutors used tracking software in emails to defense lawyers in ongoing cases involving two Navy SEALs in San Diego.

The letter, written by David G. Wilson, Chief of Staff of the Navy's Defense Service Offices, requested a response by Tuesday from the Chief of the Navy's regional law offices detailing exactly what type of software was used and what it could do, who authorized it, and what controls were put in place to limit its spread on government networks.

"As our clients learn about these extraordinary events in the media, we are left unarmed with any facts to answer their understandable concerns about our ability to secure the information they must trust us to maintain. This situation has become untenable," Wilson wrote in the letter, which was obtained by Task & Purpose on Monday.

Read More Show Less
Riley Howell

Riley Howell, the Army ROTC cadet shot and killed while restraining an active shooter at UNC Charlotte on April 30, was posthumously awarded the ROTC Medal of Heroism earlier this month for his heroic sacrifice, the Army announced.

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Air National Guard/Master Sgt. Matt Hecht)

Editor's Note: This article by Hope Hodge Seck originally appeared onMilitary.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The head of naval aviation has directed the creation of a new process for approving and reviewing pilots' call signs after two African-American aviators at an F/A-18 Hornet training squadron in Virginia filed complaints alleging racial bias in the unit, from which they said they were unfairly dismissed.

In a formal endorsement letter signed May 13, Vice Adm. DeWolfe Miller, commander of Naval Air Forces, said he found the two aviators, a Navy lieutenant and a Marine Corps captain, were correctly removed from Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 106 out of Naval Air Station Oceana due to "substandard performance," despite errors and inconsistencies discovered in the grading and ranking process.

However, Miller said he did find inappropriate conduct by instructor pilots who did not treat the pilots-in-training "with appropriate dignity and respect," using discriminatory call signs and having inappropriate and unprofessional discussions about them on social media.

Read More Show Less