Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
The Army Is Outfitting Troops With A Futuristic New Heads-Up Display
The U.S. Army is developing a brand new piece of technology ripped straight out of “Call of Duty” — Tactical Augmented Reality, a heads-up display designed to enhance situational awareness under any conditions.
A one-inch by one-inch eyepiece, the TAR was developed by Army Research, Development and Engineering Command's Communications-Electronics Research, Development and Engineering Center as the equivalent of night-vision goggles on steroids. The eyepiece constantly feeds GPS and video data through a monochromatic heads-up display that functions day or night, from a 2D overlay of an area of operations to real-time designating fellow squadmates, mission targets and enemy forces.
The TAR technology enables a tiny, heads-up display attached to the helmet, as modeled by Staff Sgt. Ronald Geer, a counterterrorism non-commissioned officer at CERDEC's Night Vision and Electronics Sensors Directorate, during Lab Day at the Pentagon, May 18, 2017.Photo via DoD
Staff Sgt. Ronald Geer, a counterterrorism NCO at CERDEC's Night Vision and Electronics Sensors Directorate, said that the eyepiece can connect wirelessly to a soldier’s body camera, a tactical tablet like these recently ordered by the service, and even the thermal sight mounted on an assault weapon.
Through a split screen, a soldier can peek downrange by raising his rifle above cover without exposing himself.
The TAR unit.Photo via DoD
Most importantly, each TAR augments situational awareness not just for individual soldiers, but entire units. According to Greer, the TAR’s wireless uplink allows troops to share info with far-flung comrades on the battlefield or back at HQ.
When you describe it like that, it really does like a “Call Of Duty” comms channel with fewer adolescent boys and gay jokes. Just look at the damn video:
According to the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), several TAR prototypes are already getting a workout with “certain units” downrange.
We can’t wait to see the DoD’s highlight reel of these guys in action — just as soon as I’m done with this game.
New London — Retired four-star general John Kelly said that as President Donald Trump's chief of staff, he pushed back against the proposal to deploy U.S. troops to the southern border, arguing at the time that active-duty U.S. military personnel typically don't deploy or operate domestically.
"We don't like it," Kelly said in remarks at the Coast Guard Academy on Thursday night. "We see that as someone else's job meaning law enforcement."
These 'kamikaze' drones are believed to be the culprits of the attacks on 2 Saudi oil fields. Here's what we know about them
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.
Yemen's Houthi rebel group, part of a regional network of militants backed by Iran, claims to be behind the drone strikes on two Saudi oil facilities that have the potential to disrupt global oil supplies.
A report from the United Nations Security Council published in January suggests that Houthi forces have obtained more powerful drone weaponry than what was previously available to them, and that the newer drones have the capability to travel greater distances and inflict more harm.
The U.S. Air Force has selected two companies to make an extreme cold-weather boot for pilots as part of a long-term effort to better protect aviators from frostbite in emergencies.
In August the service awarded a contract worth up to $4.75 million to be split between Propel LLC and the Belleville Boot Company for boots designed keep pilots' feet warm in temperatures as low as -20 Fahrenheit without the bulk of existing extreme cold weather boots, according to Debra McLean, acquisition program manager for Clothing & Textiles Domain at Air Force Life Cycle Management Command's Agile Combat Support/Human Systems Division.
DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran rejected accusations by the United States that it was behind attacks on Saudi oil plants that risk disrupting world energy supplies and warned on Sunday that U.S. bases and aircraft carriers in the region were in range of its missiles.
Yemen's Houthi group claimed responsibility for Saturday's attacks that knocked out more than half of Saudi oil output or more than 5% of global supply, but U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the assault was the work of Iran, a Houthi ally.
Nearly a decade after he allegedly murdered an unarmed Afghan civilian during a 2010 deployment, the case of Army Maj. Matthew Golsteyn is finally going to trial.