Col. Fernando Guadalupe was charged on July 10 with solicitation of prostitution.
Guadalupe Jr. allegedly agreed to pay $100 to an undercover officer posing as a prostitute and was arrested on July 10 when he showed up at the agreed upon time and place, according to the Richland County Sheriff’s Department in South Carolina.
The colonel faces a misdemeanor charge of solicitation of prostitution and is slated to appear in court on Aug. 7, sheriff’s department spokeswoman Capt. Maria Yturria told Task & Purpose on Monday. Attempts to reach Guadalupe Jr. for comment were unsuccessful.
Based at Fort Jackson, South Carolina, Guadalupe Jr. had been responsible for implementing new criteria for basic training that include a greater emphasis on marksmanship. Starting in October, all Army recruits will fire 100 extra rounds on the rifle range, test on their iron sights, and pass a “battle, march, and shoot” drill as part of The Forge, basic training’s 81-hour culminating event.
Those changes are already underway and will not be slowed by Guadalupe Jr.’s suspension, said Lt. Col. Jeffrey Pray, a spokesman for the U.S. Army Center for Initial Military Training. The new program of instruction is already being implemented at Fort Jackson and elsewhere.
“Because the ball has already started rolling on that, there’s not much that the LBT [Leader Training Brigade] commander would be involved with at this point, because everything has already been put in place,” Pray told T&P.; “It’s kind of past the point where the commander would have a significant impact on making those changes to basic training.”
The Army has been preparing to update basic training for months, so Guadalupe Jr.’s arrest will not delay the Oct. 1 start of the enhanced marksmanship instruction, Pray said.
“Even though he is a key figure, it’s not going to make a significant impact to the implementation of that,” Pray said.
The Marine lieutenant colonel removed from command of the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion in May was ousted over alleged "misconduct" but has not been charged with a crime, Task & Purpose has learned.
Lt. Col. Francisco Zavala, 42, who was removed from his post by the commanding general of 1st Marine Division on May 7, has since been reassigned to the command element of 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, and a decision on whether he will be charged is "still pending," MEF spokeswoman 1st Lt. Virginia Burger told Task & Purpose last week.
"We are not aware of any ongoing or additional investigations of Lt. Col. Zavala at this time," MEF spokesman 2nd Lt. Brian Tuthill told Task & Purpose on Monday. "The command investigation was closed May 14 and the alleged misconduct concerns Articles 128 and 133 of the UCMJ," Tuthill added, mentioning offenses under military law that deal with assault and conduct unbecoming an officer and gentleman.
"There is a period of due process afforded the accused and he is presumed innocent until proven guilty," he said.
When asked for an explanation for the delay, MEF officials directed Task & Purpose to contact 1st Marine Division officials, who did not respond before deadline.
The investigation of Zavala, completed on May 3 and released to Task & Purpose in response to a Freedom of Information Act request, showed that he had allegedly acted inappropriately. The report also confirmed some details of his wife's account of alleged domestic violence that Task & Purpose first reported last month.
U.S. troops rejoice — the midnight curfew for service members in South Korea has been temporarily suspended, as command evaluates if you can be trusted to not act like wild animals in the streets of Pyeongtaek.
Late last month Activision's Infinity Ward dropped a teaser trailer for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare — a soft-reboot of one of it's most beloved games — and just two weeks after the May 30 reveal, the game developer unveiled some new details on what's in store for the first-person shooter's multiplayer: Juggernaut and ghillie suits!