Featured by Phil Stewart, Reuters
The Senate denied this divisive nominee a role at the Pentagon. Trump put him in a new job anyway
After failing to secure a Senate confirmation hearing, U.S. President Donald Trump's most divisive nominee for a Pentagon position so far has taken a different, less-senior policy role at the Defense Department, a spokeswoman said on Sunday
CENTCOM chief ‘not convinced’ that Russian bounties led to US troop deaths in Afghanistan
U.S. officials say the United States acquired intelligence suggesting that Russia may have paid bounties to Taliban-affiliated militants to kill U.S.-led coalition forces in Afghanistan, but stress that intelligence was not conclusive
Top Pentagon official resigns as critics accuse Trump of seeking ‘loyalists’
Kathryn Wheelbarger, one of the Pentagon's most prominent and respected policy officials, is resigning after three years in the job at a time when critics have accused President Donald Trump of prioritizing perceived "loyalists" for top national security posts, sources told Reuters on Thursday
John Bolton: Trump asked China to help him win in 2020 and offered ‘favors to dictators’
In a withering behind-the-scenes portrayal, President Donald Trump's former national security adviser John Bolton accused him of sweeping misdeeds that included explicitly seeking Chinese President Xi Jinping's help to win re-election
Trump wanted to deploy 10,000 troops in Washington D.C., official says
Defense Secretary Mark Esper, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Mark Milley, and Attorney General William Barr recommended against such a deployment.
Military deploys first coronavirus test kits, though capacity is limited
Military commanders are under pressure to quickly identify and contain any appearance of the virus on bases around the world.
SecDef Esper says he’s trying to ‘right-size’ military forces to counter China
"Everybody always assumes that when we talk reviews, it means reduction. Not necessarily," Esper said.
Trump cites plot to ‘blow up’ US embassy as element in decision to kill Soleimani
President Donald Trump said on Thursday the United States killed Iranian military commander Qasem Soleimani shortly after he landed in Iraq last week in part because "they were looking to blow up our embassy."
SecDef Esper: US troop drawdowns in Afghanistan are ‘not necessarily’ tied to a deal with the Taliban
Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Monday that any future troop drawdowns in Afghanistan were "not necessarily" linked to a deal with Taliban insurgents, suggesting some lowering of force levels may happen irrespective of the ongoing peace push
China to US: ‘stop flexing muscles’ in the South China Sea
China on Monday called on the U.S. military to stop flexing its muscles in the South China Sea and to avoid adding "new uncertainties" over Taiwan, during high-level talks that underscored tension between the world's two largest economies
Esper: Military justice system ready to hold troops accountable following Trump pardons
Defense Secretary Mark Esper expressed confidence on Sunday in the U.S. military justice system's ability to hold troops to account, two days after President Donald Trump pardoned two Army officers accused of war crimes in Afghanistan and restored the rank of a Navy SEAL platoon commander who was demoted for actions in Iraq
US and South Korea postpone upcoming military drills to bolster North Korea peace effort
The United States and South Korea said on Sunday they will postpone upcoming military drills in an effort to bolster a stalled peace push with North Korea, even as Washington denied the move amounted to another concession to Pyongyang.
Esper says he’s ‘open’ to spiking military exercises in South Korea
"I think we have to be open to all those things that empower and enable our diplomats"
Lt. Col. Vindman should not fear retaliation over Ukraine testimony, Esper says
U.S. Army Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Vindman should not fear retaliation over his testimony to the U.S. Congress in its impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Monday
Microsoft beats Amazon for Pentagon’s $10 billion cloud computing contract
Cash rules everything around me.
CENTCOM chief says the US will ramp up operations against the Taliban as Afghan peace talks collapse
U.S. Marine General Kenneth McKenzie, the head of U.S. Central Command, said during a visit to Afghanistan that the Taliban overplayed its hand in peace negotiations by carrying out a spate of high profile attacks, including one that killed a U.S. soldier last week
Trump says he canceled secret peace talks with the Taliban due to recent attacks
Trump said he had planned a secret meeting with the Taliban's "major leaders" on Sunday at a presidential compound in Camp David, Maryland.
The US is pushing for a new military coalition to safeguard the waters off of Iran and Yemen
The United States hopes to enlist allies over the next two weeks or so in a military coalition to safeguard strategic waters off Iran and Yemen, where Washington blames Iran and Iran-aligned fighters for attacks
US-backed forces capture ISIS fighters tied to deadly Syria suicide bombing that killed 4 Americans
U.S.-backed forces have captured ISIS fighters tied to a January suicide bombing in Syria that killed four Americans, U.S. officials say, generating concrete leads for Washington about the deadliest attack to date there against U.S. personnel
The US-backed Syrian force fighting ISIS asked for at least 1,000 Americans to stay
The commander of U.S.-backed forces in Syria called on Monday for about 1,000 to 1,500 international forces to remain in Syria to help fight Islamic State and expressed hope that the United States, in particular, would halt plans for a total pullout.
CENTCOM commander Gen. Votel recommends arming, aiding Syrian fighters after pullout
The United States should keep arming and aiding the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces following the planned U.S. withdrawal from Syria, provided the group keeps up the pressure on ISIS
Withdrawal of US forces in Syria likely to start in ‘weeks,’ CENTCOM commander says
The United States is likely just weeks away from starting the withdrawal of ground troops from Syria ordered by President Donald Trump, the top U.S. commander overseeing American forces in the Middle East said on Sunday