Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
The Air Force just resurrected a 60-year-old B-52 bomber named 'Wise Guy' from its boneyard to fight another day
A decommissioned B-52H Stratofortress heavy, long-range bomber nicknamed "Wise Guy" was brought back from the Air Force's "boneyard" and delivered to an operational unit, the Air Force announced Tuesday.
Col. Robert Burgess, the commander of the 307th Operations Group, 307th Bomb Wing, flew the aircraft back to Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana on Tuesday, The War Zone reported.
"We are excited about the wing's role in bringing this jet back into service," Burgess told reporters. "Its return is a testament to the skill of our Airmen in restoring the bomber for regular use in the Air Force."
The art on the side of "Wise Guy."(U.S. Air Force/307th Bomb Wing)
The bomber will replace the B-52 that crashed in Guam three years ago, bringing the size of the B-52H fleet back to 76, the maximum permitted by US-Russia arms control agreements.
"Wise Guy" being delivered to the 307th Bomb Wing.(U.S. Air Force/307th Bomb Wing)
"Wise Guy" served with the 5th Bomb Wing out of Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota before the powerful bomber was sent to the 309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group, which handles the "boneyard" at Davis-Mothan Air Force Base in Arizona, in 2008.
"Wise Guy" at Barksdale Air Force Base, May 14, 2019.(U.S. Air Force photo)
When it was retired, someone left a note on an internal panel hinting that "Wise Guy" might one day return to service. The message read: "AMARG, this is 60-034, a Cold Warrior that stood sentinel over America from the darkest days of the Cold War to the global fight against terror. Take good care of her... until we need her again."
"Wise Guy" lands at Barksdale Air Force Base, May 14, 2019.(U.S. Air Force photo)
"Wise Guy" is the second B-52 to ever return from the "boneyard." The other, a bomber nicknamed "Ghost Rider," was brought back and delivered to the 307th Bomb Wing in 2015.
Read more from Business Insider:
- The Air Force got parts from its 'boneyard' to put its biggest plane back into service
- Here's what's in the cockpit of one of America's most secretive weapons — the B-2 stealth bomber
- The U.S. and its allies in Iraq are bracing for attacks as a hidden threat from Iran looms
- The U.S. says a Russian man tried to smuggle F-16 manuals into Russia, but Moscow says it looks like a setup
- The FDNY said a Navy SEAL was too old to join, and now he's getting offers from other fire departments
WATCH NEXT: The B-52 Brings The Fight To ISIS
Police arrest suspected terrorist for 1985 hijacking in which Navy diver Robert D. Stethem was murdered
ATHENS (Reuters) - Greek police have arrested a 65-year-old Lebanese man suspected of involvement in the 1985 hijacking of a Trans World Airlines (TWA) plane in which a U.S. navy diver was killed.
A Greek police official said on Saturday the suspect had disembarked from a cruise ship on the island of Mykonos on Thursday and that his name came up as being wanted by German authorities.
The last time the world saw Marine veteran Austin Tice, he had been taken prisoner by armed men. It was unclear whether his captors were jihadists or allies of Syrian dictator Bashar al Assad who were disguised as Islamic radicals.
Blindfolded and nearly out of breath, Tice spoke in Arabic before breaking into English:"Oh Jesus. Oh Jesus."
That was from a video posted on YouTube on Sept. 26, 2012, several weeks after Tice went missing near Damascus, Syria, while working as a freelance journalist for McClatchy and the Washington Post.
Now that Tice has been held in captivity for more than seven years, reporters who have regular access to President Donald Trump need to start asking him how he is going to bring Tice home.
SAN DIEGO — John Timothy Earnest didn't hide his smirks as he sat in a San Diego courtroom on Thursday, watching surveillance video of Lori Gilbert-Kaye being shot down inside the lobby of a Poway synagogue.
Earnest also smiled as a synagogue congregant testified about running toward the shooter, screaming "I'm going to kill you!" and seeing the gunman "with a look of astonishment or fear" turn and run.
Earnest, 20, is facing one count of murder and three counts of attempted murder in the shootings at Chabad of Poway on April 27. He also faces an arson charge related to an Escondido mosque fire in March, when several people who were sleeping inside escaped unharmed.
Sometimes a joke just doesn't work.
For example, the Defense Visual Information Distribution Service tweeted and subsequently deleted a Gilbert Gottfried-esque misfire about the "Storm Area 51" movement.
On Friday DVIDSHUB tweeted a picture of a B-2 bomber on the flight line with a formation of airmen in front of it along with the caption: "The last thing #Millenials will see if they attempt the #area51raid today."
ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Turkey is ready to act on its southern border with Syria, President Tayyip Erdogan said, after warning that it could take unilateral steps if the U.S. does not establish a "safe zone" in northeast Syria this month.
"Our preparations along our borders are complete," Erdogan told reporters in Istanbul on Saturday before departing to attend a U.N. General Assembly meeting.