Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Bill Cosby: Navy life prepared me for my 'amazing experience' in prison
Bill Cosby is apparently having no trouble adjusting to his life in prison thanks to his service in the U.S. Navy.
The legendary comedian and convicted sexual predator is having an "amazing experience" at the SCI Phoenix maximum-security prison thanks in part to his time serving in the military in the 1950s, his spokesman Andrew Wyatt told the New York Daily News.
"He was in the Navy for four years, and this is no different than being in the Navy," Wyatt said. "People have rooms. People are over you. They're just doing their jobs, and you have to follow rules. That's how he operates every day."
"He gets up at 3:30. He works out," Wyatt added. "The food is packed with a lot of sodium, so in order to prevent himself from getting sick, he puts his food in a cup, goes to the sink and rinses it off three times."
Cosby joined the Navy in 1956, serving for four years as an enlisted hospital corpsman at Marine Corps Base Quantico in Virginia and the Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland, the Washington Post reported in 2014. He was honorably discharged in 1960 as a 3rd Class Petty Officer.
In 2011, Cosby was presented with the title of honorary Chief Petty Officer. In 2015, then-Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus and Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy Michael Stevens announced that the Navy had revoked Cosby's honorary title.
The Navy has undergone some significant changes in the decades since Cosby's service, but the comparison of enlisted life to incarceration hasn't disappeared. In October 2017, a Navy Times reported that several command climate surveys conducted aboard the cruiser USS Shiloh revealed that sailors saw the vessel as a "floating prison."
The Navy declined to respond to Cosby spokesman Wyatt's comments.
Retired Army Master Sgt. Mark Allen has died 10 years after he was shot in the head while searching for deserter Pvt. Bowe Bergdahl in Afghanistan.
Allen died on Saturday at the age of 46, according to funeral information posted online.
For U.S. service members who have fought alongside the Kurds, President Donald Trump's decision to approve repositioning U.S. forces in Syria ahead of Turkey's invasion is a naked betrayal of valued allies.
"I am ashamed for the first time in my career," one unnamed special operator told Fox News Jennifer Griffin.
In a Twitter thread that went viral, Griffin wrote the soldier told her the Kurds were continuing to support the United States by guarding tens of thousands of ISIS prisoners even though Turkey had nullified an arrangement under which U.S. and Turkish troops were conducting joint patrols in northeastern Syria to allow the Kurdish People's Protection Units, or YPG, to withdraw.
"The Kurds are sticking by us," the soldier told Griffin. "No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."
Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Sunday he and the Pentagon will comply with House Democrats' impeachment inquiry subpoena, but it'll be on their own schedule.
"We will do everything we can to cooperate with the Congress," Esper said on CBS' "Face the Nation." "Just in the last week or two, my general counsel sent out a note — as we typically do in these situations — to ensure documents are retained."
Most of the U.S. troops in Syria are being moved out of the country as Turkish forces and their Arab allies push further into Kurdish territory than originally expected, Task & Purpose has learned.
Roughly 1,000 U.S. troops are withdrawing from Syria, leaving a residual force of between 100 and 150 service members at the Al Tanf garrison, a U.S. official said.
"I spoke with the president last night after discussions with the rest of the national security team and he directed that we begin a deliberate withdrawal of forces from northern Syria," Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Sunday's edition of CBS News' "Face the Nation."'
More than 700 women and children affiliated with ISIS escape Kurdish prison camp after Turkish shelling
BEIRUT/ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Women affiliated with Islamic State and their children fled en masse from a camp where they were being held in northern Syria on Sunday after shelling by Turkish forces in a five-day-old offensive, the region's Kurdish-led administration said.
Turkey's cross-border attack in northern Syria against Kurdish forces widened to target the town of Suluk which was hit by Ankara's Syrian rebel allies. There were conflicting accounts on the outcome of the fighting.
Turkey is facing threats of possible sanctions from the United States unless it calls off the incursion. Two of its NATO allies, Germany and France, have said they are halting weapons exports to Turkey. The Arab League has denounced the operation.