Black Hawk pilot receives Distinguished Service Cross for heroically shielding Green Berets from enemy fire

Unsung Heroes

Gen. James C. McConville, vice chief of staff of the Army, places the Distinguished Service Cross on retired Capt. Christopher C. Palumbo during a ceremony Thursday at Fort Bragg

(U.S. Army/Sgt. 1st Class J. TaShun Joyce)

When then-Chief Warrant Officer 3 Christopher C. Palumbo found out he couldn't get back to a battle in Afghanistan, he was so mad that he drop-kicked his flight helmet.

Palumbo, a Black Hawk helicopter pilot, received the Distinguished Service Cross Award on Thursday for his actions during that battle on April 11, 2005. The award is the Army's second highest for valor.


At the time of the battle, Palumbo was with Company A, 3rd Battalion, 158th Aviation Regiment stationed in Germany. He and his crew had reloaded with ammunition and were preparing to head back to a mountainous area where insurgents were attacking Special Forces soldiers. After their bullet-riddled helicopter started leaking fuel, he asked for another aircraft, but was denied.

"I knew they needed us back out there," said Palumbo, who retired as a captain.

The battle started after the helicopter crew dropped off a Special Forces team near an area where an ambush had occurred. Initially, the soldiers encountered little resistance, but then a large enemy force came out of nearby caves and attacked.

"They were everywhere," Palumbo said.

The Special Forces team was about to be overrun. Two soldiers were shot. One called for the helicopter to return.

Palumbo immediately started heading back to the area. He attempted to land, but the terrain was rough and the soldiers were near the edge of a cliff.

Apache attack helicopters had been in the area, but had left to refuel. The enemy troops were shooting at Palumbo's helicopter.

One of the soldiers told Palumbo to leave. He replied with "not nice words" and put the helicopter between the enemy troops and the Special Forces team.

Palumbo said he started flying the helicopter in a figure eight so the gunner on one side could shoot while the other reloaded. One crewmember was injured when a bullet hit inside the helicopter and sent shrapnel into his face.

The Black Hawk had more than 50 bullet holes after the battle.


Retired Capt. Christopher C. Palumbo, right, received the Distinguished Service Cross from Gen. James C. McConville, vice chief of staff of the Army, during a ceremony Thursday at Fort Bragg(U.S. Army/Sgt. 1st Class J. TaShun Joyce)

Gen. James C. McConville, vice chief of staff of the Army, presented Palumbo with the Distinguished Service Cross at John F. Kennedy Hall on Fort Bragg.

The ceremony was the second presentation of a Distinguished Service Cross at Fort Bragg in less than a week. On June 21, Lt. Gen. Fran Beaudette, commander of U.S. Army Special Operations Command, presented the award to retired Master Sgt. Larry L. Hawks for his actions July 24-25, 2005, in Afghanistan.

Members of the Special Forces team who were in the battle involving Palumbo's Black Hawk attended the ceremony Thursday. McConville praised their actions.

Army aviation usually uses separate helicopters to move things, find things and kill things, McConville said. During the battle in Afghanistan, Palumbo's Black Hawk did all three, he said.

McConville told Palumbo that he represented the best of the Army and the nation.

"What you did saved lives," McConville said.

Lt. Col. Robert K. Beale, who was Palumbo's platoon leader in Afghanistan, on Thursday described the battle.

Beale, who is now a professor of military science at Temple University in Philadelphia, said he was proud to have served with Palumbo.

"Chris showed us that day what warriors are made of," Beale said.

Palumbo initially received the Silver Star Medal for his actions. The award was upgraded after the military decided to review medals awarded for actions in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Palumbo, who lives in Edinburg, Texas, is a lead Emergency Medical Services helicopter pilot. He said it was a tremendous honor to receive the award.

"I'm shocked, it was very unexpected,'' he said.

———

©2019 The Fayetteville Observer (Fayetteville, N.C.). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

US Marine Corps

The Marine lieutenant colonel who was removed from command of 1st Reconnaissance Battalion in May is accused of lying to investigators looking into allegations of misconduct, according to a copy of his charge sheet provided to Task & Purpose on Monday.

Read More Show Less

President Donald Trump just can't stop telling stories about former Defense Secretary James Mattis. This time, the president claims Mattis said U.S. troops were so perilously low on ammunition that it would be better to hold off launching a military operation.

"You know, when I came here, three years ago almost, Gen. Mattis told me, 'Sir, we're very low on ammunition,'" Trump recalled on Monday at the White House. "I said, 'That's a horrible thing to say.' I'm not blaming him. I'm not blaming anybody. But that's what he told me because we were in a position with a certain country, I won't say which one; we may have had conflict. And he said to me: 'Sir, if you could, delay it because we're very low on ammunition.'

"And I said: You know what, general, I never want to hear that again from another general," Trump continued. "No president should ever, ever hear that statement: 'We're low on ammunition.'"

Read More Show Less

At least one Air Force base is waging a slow battle against feral hogs — and way, way more than 30-50 of them.

A Texas trapper announced on Monday that his company had removed roughly 1,200 feral hogs from Joint Base San Antonio property at the behest of the service since 2016.

Read More Show Less

In a move that could see President Donald Trump set foot on North Korean soil again, Kim Jong Un has invited the U.S. leader to Pyongyang, a South Korean newspaper reported Monday, as the North's Foreign Ministry said it expected stalled nuclear talks to resume "in a few weeks."

A letter from Kim, the second Trump received from the North Korean leader last month, was passed to the U.S. president during the third week of August and came ahead of the North's launch of short-range projectiles on Sept. 10, the South's Joongang Ilbo newspaper reported, citing multiple people familiar with the matter.

In the letter, Kim expressed his willingness to meet the U.S. leader for another summit — a stance that echoed Trump's own remarks just days earlier.

Read More Show Less

Editor's Note: This article by Oriana Pawlyk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

On April 14, 2018, two B-1B Lancer bombers fired off payloads of Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missiles against weapons storage plants in western Syria, part of a shock-and-awe response to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's use of chemical weapons against his citizens that also included strikes from Navy destroyers and submarines.

In all, the two bombers fired 19 JASSMs, successfully eliminating their targets. But the moment would ultimately be one of the last — and certainly most publicized — strategic strikes for the aircraft before operations began to wind down for the entire fleet.

A few months after the Syria strike, Air Force Global Strike Command commander Gen. Tim Ray called the bombers back home. Ray had crunched the data, and determined the non-nuclear B-1 was pushing its capabilities limit. Between 2006 and 2016, the B-1 was the sole bomber tasked continuously in the Middle East. The assignment was spread over three Lancer squadrons that spent one year at home, then six month deployed — back and forth for a decade.

The constant deployments broke the B-1 fleet. It's no longer a question of if, but when the Air Force and Congress will send the aircraft to the Boneyard. But Air Force officials are still arguing the B-1 has value to offer, especially since it's all the service really has until newer bombers hit the flight line in the mid-2020s.

Read More Show Less