Boy In ISIS Propaganda Video Claims To Be An American Soldier’s Son

news

ISIS, the global terrorist organization that once held huge swaths of Iraq and Syria and is now fighting to defend what little remains of its failed caliphate, has released a propaganda video featuring a child who claims to be the son of a U.S. soldier, NBC News reports.   


Speaking in fluent but accented English, the boy in the seven-minute video talks directly at the camera and, at one point, appears equipped with a flak vest and assault rifle. He identifies himself only as Yousef, age 10. NBC was not able to verify the boy’s name, nationality, or whereabouts.

“My father’s an American soldier who fought the mujahideen in Iraq,” he says. “I didn’t know much about Islam except the name. When me and mom came to the Islamic State, we started learning the correct Islamic creed.”

As NBC notes, Yousef — who is not the first child to be featured in an ISIS propaganda video — appears to be reading from a script. He claims to be living in the Syrian city of Raqqa, where U.S.-backed forces are currently engaged in a pitched battle with an estimated 2,000 ISIS militants holed up in the group’s last major stronghold.  

Yousef mentions President Donald Trump and issues a warning to the United States: “Get ready, for the fighting has just begun.”

A portion of the video focuses on Yousef’s life in Raqqa, including his playdates with another boy whom he identifies as his 7-year-old best friend. One clips shows the duo exploring the rubbled remains of a bombed-out building.

U.S. officials roundly denounced the video. “We have seen ISIS as they have recruited children, as they have used them as human shields,” State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert told NBC. “We have seen ISIS use children the age of some of our own children here as suicide bombers, as homicide bombers.”

If Yousef is in fact in Raqqa, his chances of survival rank among the lowest in the world. Syria, which has been embroiled in a bloody civil war since 2011, is currently rated the world’s deadliest conflict zone. And the consensus among foreign policy experts is that it is only a matter of time before Raqqa falls.  

“ISIS wants the world to believe that life in Raqqa is stable and that it can protect the people it proclaims to represent,” Laith Alkhouri of security firm Flashpoint told NBC. “The fact is, life in Raqqa is dangerous and brutal, and ISIS’s control over there is diminishing by the day.”

Casperassets.rbl.ms

Benjamin Franklin nailed it when he said, "Fatigue is the best pillow." True story, Benny. There's nothing like pushing your body so far past exhaustion that you'd willingly, even longingly, take a nap on a concrete slab.

Take $75 off a Casper Mattress and $150 off a Wave Mattress with code TASKANDPURPOSE

And no one knows that better than military service members and we have the pictures to prove it.

Read More Show Less
A Chinese tank rolls at the training ground "Tsugol", about 250 kilometers (156 miles ) south-east of the city of Chita during the military exercises Vostok 2018 in Eastern Siberia, Russia, Thursday, Sept. 13, 2018 (Associated Press/Sergei Grits)

China is developing a lot of new and advanced weaponry, but a recent state media report suggests the Chinese military may not be entirely sure what to do with these new combat systems.

Read More Show Less
(The 621st Contingency Response Wing/Flickr)

The commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard called the ongoing partial government shutdown "unacceptable" following reports that some Coast Guardsmen are relying on donations from food pantries while their regular paychecks remain on hold.

"We're five-plus weeks into the anxiety and stress of this government lapse and your non-pay," Adm. Karl Schultz said in a video message to service members. "You, as members of the armed forces, should not be expected to shoulder this burden."

Read More Show Less

The U.S. Department of Veterans' Affairs will implement changes next month that will simplify the process for how veterans make appeals.

Read More Show Less

Editor's Note: This article by Richard Sisk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The bigger and faster electromagnetic weapons elevator on the new aircraft carrier Gerald R. Ford is finally ready for use, an achievement the Navy called a "major milestone" for the program and other Ford-class carriers to be built in the future.

Navy Secretary Richard V. Spencer said earlier this month that he had bet his job on getting all the Ford's elevators to work, telling President Donald Trump that the project would be done by this summer "or you can fire me."

Read More Show Less